Dead battery on 2011 Ford Edge, open tailgate manually from inside.

In my infinite wisdom I believe I placed my battery charger near the spare tire after my battery drained the last time. Unfortunately without power I cannot open the liftgate to open the floor to get to it. I've been able to pop the cover near the latch within the trunk but I am unsure on how to trigger it manually. Given the rear seat backs are also electric its very hard for me to get in there to look around for the mechanism. 

Anyone know how to open it manually from the inside? 

I was going to post a question to see where people would store their battery jump boxes for this very reason. While 90% of the time I use it, it is to help someone else, I have had to use it myself on my own vehicle, at least on a less electronic heavy vehicle (that still has a key slot for the trunk and doors). The rest of my "emergency" tools and kit are under the cargo floor.

I built myself an adapter for my battery powered drills battery so in the junk yards I can pop trunks, look at odometers, etc, so I would do that under the hood long enough to be able to pop the hatch. I was going to try lifting mine up from the front (right behind the seat) to see if it could be done, but there is a bunch of stuff there, sorry.

The GEN 1/1+ Edge procedure is fairly simple, though the Workshop Manual images are line drawings...

Document download link> Liftgate Latch Manual Release - General Procedures - 2011 Edge Workshop Manual with Enlarged Images.pdf

The GEN 2 Edge procedure is a bit more elaborate, but at least the Workshop Manual images are more satisfying...

Document download link> Liftgate Latch Manual Release - General Procedures - 2015 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 4

So even with the power folding down rear seats, the manual lever still allows you to fold them down.

53032464611_b9205101de_b.jpg

Then you should have pretty easy access to the storage bins and spare tire.

53032464506_5fa0e6c99b_b.jpg

But knowing if the latch stops working on the liftgate and how to open it is awesome! I think it is overkill in this case and still think a jump is the best solution.

• Like 3