2.0 turbo gas octane

irvin

It only needs 87 octane. There are instances where premium (91 or 93) are warranted, like high ambient temps, lots of elevation changes (up and down mountains), towing, or any combination of these.

Personally I run 87 octane. I have ran 91 once (highest octane readily available for me) before and maybe a slight "seat of the pants" difference, but it wasn't worth the extra $.50 a gallon, $9 a tank worth. Fuel mileage with 91 was not markedly better, it was so close that I wouldn't consider it any better. That would be an extra $550 for me a year. I guess if you don't put that many miles on a vehicle it might be easier to justify.

Who calls it a premium fuel motor? When Ford did the fuel milage tests for the EPA, it was with 87 octane. When Ford did the testing of the horsepower for the 2.0 and the 2.7 they used 93 octane fuel. So it you need to have that 250 HP then sure.

When Premium was $.20 more a gallon, I had a Mark VIII that was premium recommended also, but I got way better fuel mileage, and slight drivability improvements (tried it out at the track, there was no difference in speed or time, 60 foot or 1/4 mile), so I usually ran it. I also had a different car of the same era with a tune and some matching upgrades with 91 octane tune and it did much better.

I drive in high ambient temps, and do a fair share of 1000ft elevation to 4000ft elevation driving and never have I had any pinging or adverse performance issues. Add towing to the mix, I might.

Edited by dabangsta
  • Like 1

What would the goal be, or why would premium be wanted or needed?

• Longevity? I don't think that 87 octane has a negative effect on the engine, even though Ford thinks a little pinging is okay, most don't, but my usage and environment are most conducive to pinging, and it doesn't.
  • Performance? Sure, there might be a little actual and perceived performance improvements, after all Ford did the HP ratings with it. Unless you are doing other mods and need premium, it probably won't make a huge difference.
  • Fuel Mileage? Might be worth it. Currently for me it would have to be a 20% increase (3.20 for regular, 3.70 for premium, so an 18% increase in price). So I would have to go from 25 mpg to 30 mpg average. I Maybe saw 1 mpg and across an entire fuel tank a lot of different driving probably happened, and it wasn't a good comparison.
  • Specific situations? Maybe. If I was to tow close to the limit, up mountains, in the 110 summer, and a tall trailer? I would. Performance and fuel mileage reasons, as my 2017 Escape towing into a 40 mph wind and doing the freeway speeds I had an unexpected added fuel stop that a few mpg more would have helped with.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll mirror dabangsta's comments.

This is Ford's official position on octane.

Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle warranty.
For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.
Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.
Actually knocking is necessary for the knock sensor to determine where the max lean condition exists. The ECM/PMC uses the knock sensor readout as one parameter in setting the timing, so the engine can run as lean as possible. (Without causing damage). According to Ford, if the highest octane is used, the engine doesn't knock and the ECM/PMC sets the fuel to run richer as a safety feature. Performance and mpg will suffer very slightly. (You can't get better milage nor performance inasmuch as it's exactly the same gas, same hydrocarbons. The anti-knock is added to delay detonation. It takes up a very slight volume from the gas and a tiny amount more gas is needed for the same power.)

• Like 2