2007 Edge SE AWD - Getting to know it

Good day kind people...new owner of a Ford vehicle and it happens to be an AWD Edge SE with 172K.  I picked it up at auction and have had "fun" fixing it up.  Body is solid and little to no rust which is something I always shoot for.  The mechanical stuff doesn't scare me.

Done to date:

• Replaced rear wheel bearings
  • Valve cover gaskets with plugs and PCV valve
  • Replaced one (1) fuel injector (cyl. #5)
  • Front fan assembly
  • Front drivers seat cushion
  • Rear folding seat - the smaller one
  • Front control arms - L & R
  • Installed a new BT radio with back up camera

I look forward to finding out a couple of things that have escaped me for the time being, however I look forward to some feed back and insight.

TIA from Western NY

• Like 3

On 8/2/2023 at 3:46 PM, Learningthehardway said:

Good day kind people...new owner of a Ford vehicle and it happens to be an AWD Edge SE with 172K.  I picked it up at auction and have had "fun" fixing it up.  Body is solid and little to no rust which is something I always shoot for.  The mechanical stuff doesn't scare me.

Have you completely replaced the media system ? If this is true, then which one can you make an image on? I am thinking about changing multimedia, but I am concerned about the compatibility of the management of the new system 
 with buttons on the steering wheel. Thank you.

Edited by 1004ron

On 8/2/2023 at 3:46 PM, Learningthehardway said:

...new owner...AWD Edge SE with 172K...have had "fun" fixing it...Body is solid and little to no rust...mechanical stuff doesn't scare...

• Replaced rear wheel bearings
  • Valve cover gaskets with plugs and PCV valve
  • Replaced one (1) fuel injector (cyl. #5)
  • Front fan assembly
  • Front drivers seat cushion
  • Rear folding seat - the smaller one
  • Front control arms - L & R
  • Installed a new BT radio with back up camera

Welcome to the Herd!  Lots of friendly knowledgable folk in these forums.

Sounds like you're doing good getting your Edge in proper order.

Be sure to renew the GearOil in the AWD front axle PTU & rear axle Diff;

strongly recommend Drilling+Tapping a Drain & a FumotoDrainValve for that PTU.

At 172kMiles, I suspect your PTU has already been changed out or is about to fail if never serviced.

Click here for more info on Drain+Vent+Fill mods for PTU.

You're likely already aware of the notorious InternalChainDriven WaterPump in these transverse V6~3.5L~DOHC engines;

keeping ThermoStat+Coolant new+clean & making sure RadiatorFans+ControlModule are working helps prevent\delay that Pump failure.

Click here for more info on replacing WaterPump.

Edited by DILLARD000
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My apologies...I guess you have to log in to see any responses.

EDST777 - not the whole media system.  I went to Best Buy and inquired about a head end unit that would fit and what was needed to upgrade the factory unit with a rear view camera.  The installation of the head end unit was free and the back up camera about $140-150USD.  It sounds good, it just never had steering wheel controls for audio so everything is done from the touch screen and volume knob.  As far as making or placing an image on, that is more than what I know.

DILLARD000 - I failed to mention that I did have the PTU gearoil changed and the transmission oil.  I didn't do the rear axle differential.  I've put about 3,500 miles since the fluid changes and plan on doing it again in another 3,500 miles for good measure.  I've seen the videos on drilling and tapping the PTU case, but trying to avoid that with frequent changes.  The water pump has me nervous and why I kept away from this engine design for so long, but the price of this ride in the condition it was in was too good to pass up.

One thing that I found funny was a few weeks ago I ran into the clogged drain from the condensation reservoir (A/C system) and had the fan start sloshing with the water during turns.  After the air spritz up the drain tube, it cleared and the amount of water that came out was astounding.  Finally the last thing to work on is this airbag light.

• Like 1