where to store jump box?

dabangsta

After finally needing to use my jump box for my own emergency purposes (on another vehicle that is more mechanical than electronic as far as access), I am trying to plan for the best place in my 2019 SEL to keep one.

I want to store it under the cargo area, towards the front. I can open the drivers door with the emergency key, reach back and double pull the rear drivers side door to open it without power, right? Then use the manual lever to drop the seat back, then lift up the front of the cargo floor. I have a super amount of emergency related stuff around the spare already, I need to 3d print some more holders and sections so it doesn't rattle, squeak, or make the floor not sit level.

The jump box would take up nearly all of the pitiful center console space, probably too large in a dimension to fit in the really small glove box along side the owners manual, and won't even fit in that useless cubby in front of the center console (yes, sour grapes, all the storage areas on this as so small, compared to even what it replaced, a 2017 Escape).

Under the hood I am not sure I can find a decent place that doesn't get super hot, and I live where 90+ days a year it is 100+, and just enough rain that it would need to be protected from that splashing up.

5 hours ago, dabangsta said:

After finally needing to use my jump box for my own emergency purposes (on another vehicle that is more mechanical than electronic as far as access), I am trying to plan for the best place in my 2019 SEL to keep one.

I want to store it under the cargo area, towards the front. I can open the drivers door with the emergency key, reach back and double pull the rear drivers side door to open it without power, right? Then use the manual lever to drop the seat back, then lift up the front of the cargo floor. I have a super amount of emergency related stuff around the spare already, I need to 3d print some more holders and sections so it doesn't rattle, squeak, or make the floor not sit level.

The jump box would take up nearly all of the pitiful center console space, probably too large in a dimension to fit in the really small glove box along side the owners manual, and won't even fit in that useless cubby in front of the center console (yes, sour grapes, all the storage areas on this as so small, compared to even what it replaced, a 2017 Escape).

Under the hood I am not sure I can find a decent place that doesn't get super hot, and I live where 90+ days a year it is 100+, and just enough rain that it would need to be protected from that splashing up.

By "jump Box" do you mean a backup battery to jump an installed factory battery? If so I have a Lithium battery with jumper cable, USB outlets and with emergency light. I keep in the rear pocket sidewall in the cargo bay, driver's side. It fits tight and I leave it plugged in to the accessory plug right by it so its always charging when I drive and won't be dead when I need it.

20230920_154759 (Medium).jpg

Not sure how easy it really is to pull up the cargo cover and access the storage are without opening the rear hatch and crawling back there. If that is truly your intent you should probably invent/make a cargo cover that could "roll up" so you could easily get in from front side as well as back. Thin wood slats with a marine vinyl glued backing might do the trick. Necessity is the mother of invention.

That image I posted is from the front. I want to make it somewhat easily accessible with a completely dead battery (as opposed to one that some electronics work but it won't start). I am assuming the rear door is openable if locked but no power simply by pulling the interior pull twice. I will probably test that with no battery connected. In my 2012 Fusion I can store it in the trunk since it has a key to unlatch it (and the trunk is 50 degrees cooler than the passenger space).

I was wondering what others do, and I like your setup but I use those pockets and I think the cord would get torn up and bashed by stuff rolling around back there. I do check the charged state on mine and it can go at lest 6 months without dropping a full line (out of 5, so less than 20%), I get 5 decent attempts to start a vehicle with mine from fully charged.

How about under the driver seat next to the second row air diffuser? Personally I'm not comfortable keeping anything lithium ion made in China in the car long term. If it decides to self ignite it will burn your car to the ground. If it's in the garage that can burn to the ground as well.

I just did the test fit to give you another option.

20230921_161206.jpg

20230921_161053.jpg

Edited by handfiler
  • Like 1

I keep my lithiam charger in a small toolbag, with a few other items, in the house near the door. Grab the toolbag as I leave and toss it behind the driver seat. 

Sure I forget it sometimes. 

If I go out during a storm I put the charger in my edc backpack. I have it accessible if I need it outside the car or to help a co-worker or for whatever. 

I carry my jump battery and a Dewalt tire inflator https://a.co/d/aZebBWZ in an insulated grocery bag   https://a.co/d/fY9iZi3 , with the handles wrapped around the rear, drivers side, head rest. (Easy to reach from back seat).

Bag doubles as a tote and insulated carrier when needed on hot days and coming home for grocery with frozen food. 

Little nervous about keeping it plugged continuously charging in as it contains a lithium battery. Besides, stays charged for months. 

Last used it last spring, came out of supermarket and car in lot had hood up, guy was tearing out back seat (battery was under back seat). I offered to get them started asap and he said he had jumper cables and didn't need any help. Offered again and he called my bluff. I got the jumper, opened his hood, located the jumper posts, hooked up the jumper, pushed the extra button and told his wife to start the car. Started right up. 

Should have seen his jaw hit the ground. He had been messing with the car for over a half hour (trying to find the battery). I smiled, took the thank you's in kind and we left. Feels nice to do a good deed. Literally, his jaw hit the ground. Eyes wide, stunned look on face. He had never seen one of these and had no idea that cars with hidden battery's have jump posts in engine compartment. 

Edited by enigma-2
corrected battery type to lithium
  • Like 3

On 9/21/2023 at 2:28 PM, handfiler said:

How about under the driver seat next to the second row air diffuser? Personally I'm not comfortable keeping anything lithium ion made in China in the car long term. If it decides to self ignite it will burn your car to the ground. If it's in the garage that can burn to the ground as well.

I just did the test fit to give you another option.

I like that. I was worried about it traveling forward under the drivers feet, but I don't think it can. I carried this under the rear seat of my Escape, but no room in the Edge. I will see how mine fits, the case is a lot larger. I also need to check how it deals with the seat moving, as I am 6ft tall and my wife is 4ft10 so the seat goes nearly fully forward and 3/4 the way back a few times a week or day.

On 9/22/2023 at 9:09 AM, FX3 said:

I keep my lithiam charger in a small toolbag, with a few other items, in the house near the door. Grab the toolbag as I leave and toss it behind the driver seat. 

Sure I forget it sometimes. 

If I go out during a storm I put the charger in my edc backpack. I have it accessible if I need it outside the car or to help a co-worker or for whatever. 

That is where I am at now. But unless it is my wallet or my cell phone, I can't remember to grab it. For longer trips when it might be more handy to have around it could get packed along with everything else. I got one for my daughter and a tire inflator, and it is never in the vehicle when it is needed.

13 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

I carry my jump battery and a Dewalt tire inflator https://a.co/d/aZebBWZ in an insulated grocery bag   https://a.co/d/fY9iZi3 , with the handles wrapped around the rear, drivers side, head rest. (Easy to reach from back seat).

Bag doubles as a tote and insulated carrier when needed on hot days and coming home for grocery with frozen food. 

Little nervous about keeping it plugged continuously charging in as it contains NiMHy battery. Besides, stays charged for months. 

Last used it last spring, came out of supermarket and car in lot had hood up, guy was tearing out back seat (battery was under back seat). I offered to get them started asap and he said he had jumper cables and didn't need any help. Offered again and he called my bluff. I got the jumper, opened his hood, located the jumper posts, hooked up the jumper, pushed the extra button and told his wife to start the car. Started right up. 

Should have seen his jaw hit the ground. He had been messing with the car for over a half hour (trying to find the battery). I smiled, took the thank you's in kind and we left. Feels nice to do a good deed. Literally, his jaw hit the ground. Eyes wide, stunned look on face. He had never seen one of these and had no idea that cars with hidden battery's have jump posts in engine compartment. 

Yeah, when someone says that that little box with those little alligator clips won't start my car, I gotta say it does great. Expedition with the 5.4 and a battery reading 7v? No problem! No battery? No problem! I still have one around the house with a lead/acid battery that works well for prototyping things and supplying auto voltage, but it won't boost a battery nearly as well as the new Lithium ones.