Spark Plugs/Oil Changes 2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD

michaelfriesen

Hi there,

I own a 2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD, 3.5 L V6. It's in absolute mint condition. There are only 110,275 km on it, we're the second owner. We don't drive the vehicle much at all — if you can believe it, we've put less than 2000 km on it in the past 36 months. We walk everywhere here in Vancouver, BC Canada. Our vehicle runs beautifully, there are no issues with it at all and certainly no issues related to one of my topics regarding spark plugs (such as misfiring, idling, knocking, etc.).

We actually had the 108,000 km scheduled maintenance done early at 96,830 km. I don’t quite know how that happened, the old Ford dealership we used to deal with was questionable in terms of both knowledge and ethics (and a hunger for $$) so we stopped using them and went to a non-Ford shop with an excellent reputation who does excellent work.

During our last oil change at 108,504 km, I was told that we should “consider” changing the spark plugs on our next visit. But when I look in the Ford User Manual for our 2008 Ford Edge, it says that spark plugs are due at 144,000 km (90,000 miles). The shop's reasoning was that over time, spark plugs may heat up and become difficult to remove and replace. As far as I know, the spark plugs in our vehicle are the original ones. I’ve done lots of reading and from what I can tell, modern-day iridium spark plugs are way different than the ones I used to put in my 1972 Dodge Charger. They last a heck of a long time.

So I’m a bit confused here. I'm not very auto-mechanic-savvy and I don't know who to believe. The Ford User Manual or the new shop telling us that we should “consider” changing the spark plugs. Our vehicle hasn't been on a long trip in over 10 years. It really doesn't get used much at all. One of the Ford dealerships I called quoted me $480 to put new plugs in and the new shop we’re using quoted me between $700-$800. If I can avoid doing this right now, I would gladly do so.

Another question I have is about oil changes. Our last oil change (fully synthetic oil) was done at 108,504 km. Our current mileage is 110,275 km. We’ve only put 1771 km on the vehicle in 36 months. Is it really necessary for me to get an oil change? It almost doesn't make sense, the oil is still clear/amber and exactly where it should be on the dipstick. No leaks. Our climate out here in Vancouver BC, Canada is a fairly mild one, no harsh winters.

Can anybody out there offer any guidance on this? I can't believe how much prices have gone up for vehicle maintenance since COVID. Brutal.

Thanks a million.

Edited by michaelfriesen

4 hours ago, michaelfriesen said:

...2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD, 3.5 L V6

...mint condition...110,275 km on it...second owner...don't drive the vehicle much...less than 2000 km on it in the past 36 months

...runs beautifully...no issues

...108,000 km scheduled maintenance done early at 96,830...last oil change at 108,504 km

...was told that we should “consider” changing the spark plugs...Manual for our 2008 Ford Edge, it says that spark plugs are due at 144,000 km (90,000 miles

...confused...not very auto-mechanic-savvy...don't know who to believe...Manual or the new shop

...vehicle hasn't been on a long trip in over 10 years...doesn't get used much

...dealerships I called quoted me $480 to put new plugs in and the new shop we’re using quoted me between $700-$800

...If I can avoid doing this right now, I would gladly do so.

...Another question I have is about oil changes...synthetic oil) was done at 108,504 km

...current mileage is 110,275 km...1771 km on the vehicle in 36 months...necessary for me to get an oil change?

...oil is still clear/amber...where it should be on the dipstick. No leaks

...climate out here in Vancouver BC, Canada is a fairly mild one, no harsh winter

...anybody out there offer any guidance on this?...prices have gone up

Have here another 2008 Edge V6~3.5L~DOHC Engin with AWD = PowerTransferUnit & RearDifferentialUnit\RDU, now at ~160kMiles = 256000km.

Beware your "new" mechanic is also smelling an easy\unneeded upsale.

A completely honest mechanic is a very rare thing; they run a business to make money, so a "grain of salt".

You do NOT need SparkPlugs until around 145000km~160000km = 90kMiles~100kMiles.

When you do renew the Plugs, also renew the four OxygenSensors (2 upstream + 2 downstream);

they gradually wear out, loose their chemical sensor coating and slowly bias Fuel/Air mixture to the rich end of the scale,

causing MPGs to decrease & exhaust to run rich & in turn the CatalyticConvertors to run hot, which if let go too long will be a much more expensive repair.

Considering your low usage\miles; recommend running vehicle at least once a week, a 20~30minute drive up to full temperature up to highway speeds, to keep internals lubricated, fuel+exhaust system clear, & brakes+suspension working.

My personal+recommended maintenance routine includes these items:

* Bottle of FuelSystemCleaner & fillup with PremiumHighOctaneFuel every 4kMiles\6Mths

* Renew engin Oil+Filter every 4kMiles\6mths, 0w20.FullSyn for cold weather, 0w30.FullSyn for moderate weather, 5w40.FullSyn for hot weather, this is critical

* Suction Fluid from SteeringReservoir & renew with fresh MerconV every 4kMiles\6mths

* Suction Fluid From BrakeReservoir & renew with fresh DOT4 every 4kMiles\6Mths

* Inspect AirFilter, back blow with compressed air, renew if needed, every 4kMiles\6Mths

Considering your low usage\mileage & gentle driving conditions; above items can be done once a year.

* Inspect Radiator CoolingFans for proper operation every 4kMiles\6mths; FanControlModule (on FanCowling upper left) is a NotoriousFailureItem; this is critical.

* Renew Coolant + ThermoStat + PressureCap every 33kMiles\4Yrs; InternalChainDriven WaterPump is an expensive NotoriousFailureItem, this is critical

* Transmission Fluid MerconV change every 33kMiles\4Yrs, this is critical

* PowerTranferUnit\PTU 75w140.FullSyn GearOil change every 33kMiles\4Yrs; a NotoriousFailureItem, this is critical

* RearDifferentialUnit\RDU 75w90.FullSyn GearOil change every 33kMiles\4yrs

* Tires renew as needed every 33kMiles\4Yrs

* Battery+Brakes renew every 50kMiles\6Yrs

* SparkPlugs(6) & OxygenSensors(4) & PCVValve & Belts(2) & all Hoses+Clamps, renew every 100kMiles\12yrs

Hopefully this helps.

Edited by DILLARD000

If you live where corrosion is an issue, 10,000 miles (16,000km) early plug change might not be a bad thing, but it likely isn't going to get worse in a few months if it has had 15 years already. I live in the desert, so I don't deal with corrosion very much, so I don't know how bad it would get, probably not bad since the boot and coil cover the spark plug well.

I find it hard to justify $400-900 for plugs, because it is pretty easy even on the 3.5, 6 plugs, the upper intake gasket set, and a couple hours of your time (the upper intake is not super easy to take off, but it is designed to be taken off). Easily less than $50 in parts even if you replace the boots as well.

I wouldn't leave the same oil in the crank case for 3 years. I would follow the 7,500 miles or 6 months that your scheduled maintenance calls for. I am pretty sure the oil life monitor in my 2012 Fusion (with the same engine) triggered on time and not mileage this year, as I only put 7,000 miles on it this last year.

This was my 105,000 mile maintenance pile for my 3.5 powered car (different transmission, different coolant, but AWD also), I think less than $150 and an afternoon because I did some cleaning up as well. Some things were over due, some were not yet due but got them out of the way, mostly the cooling system.

43878394311_1ab0204b71_h.jpg

30008890308_85ed324a6a_h.jpg

I did the PTU a little after, and 3 oil changes, 2 air filters, and 1 cabin filter since.

Thank you very much to both DILLARD000 and dabangsta for the answers and feedback above, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I think I'll leave the plugs for when 144,000 km comes around (might take a few decades ?). I do think the shop was being a little too proactive. Corrosion isn't an issue here where we live.

But I'll get the oil changed this week, I'm getting lazy in my old age ?

Thanks again for all your help and advice, much appreciated!

• Like 1