Magnaflow CAT system rework

Well I took your advice and had my Magnaflow CAT system redone. I decided to bite the bullet and get 2.5 inch piping and move the muffler from the mid to the rear like magnaflow recommends. I had to use my stock tips since I want 4 inch tips and they had none in stock, but are ordered.

Here are some pics of the new work during installation. The sound is amazing with the additonal .25 inch pipes. Imagine the earlier sound clips of the gibson and the flowmaster except deeper and not quite so loud. I have to get a media card to record video from my phone and will do that tomorrow. Here are the pics now!

post-5413-1234301720_thumb.jpg

post-5413-1234301741_thumb.jpg

post-5413-1234301762_thumb.jpg

post-5413-1234301779_thumb.jpg

dude.. your obsessed with this exhaust system. :) what is it, like the 3rd revamp in 1 weeks time? ;)

so um, did he also run a straight shot in the exhaust and remove that 4 point turn? looks like it to me

not sure what tips are on the SEL, but on my Limited I like them.

I know, I know. When I first had the resonator removed it sounded great, but then I got greedy. Then when I had the system installed, I wanted to get rid of the drone and the only way to do that was to replace the resonator and move the muffler toward the rear. And yeah, I did have him replace the stock pipe that had multiple bends and install a straight pipe from the resonator to the muffler.

I can say it is now complete and I am very happy! Still all in all I only paid $310 for all the work that was done, which is half of what most pay for just the system directly from Magnaflow not counting installation. The tips are only 3 inch outlets on the SEL. With the large opening on the bumper there is a huge gap and makes the tip look like a toothpick.

And yeah, I did have him replace the stock pipe that had multiple bends and install a straight pipe from the resonator to the muffler.

oh my God!!! don't tell Waldo as according to him, you might blow up now :)

anyway.. this move alone takes out back pressure and should, though I know not really important as sound is to you, have a performance increase

oh my God!!! don't tell Waldo as according to him, you might blow up now :)

anyway.. this move alone takes out back pressure and should, though I know not really important as sound is to you, have a performance increase

So far I have not had to break out the estinguisher but I will keep my eyes open!!

I can feel a difference in performance gains, more HP than TQ but the main thing I noticed the most was much better throttle response. I am getting a media card today for my phone so I will up load video / audio this afternoon. And no, I am not getting the card just so I can show all of you how it sounds! Check back this afternoon.

Hangs too low, and whoever is behind you on the road, all they are going to see is a big ugly rusty muffler.

Thanks for your input, my response to this is two fold.

1. I can see why it may look like the muffler is hanging low, especially considering the photo was taken with the car lifted 7 feet in the air. I assure you standing behind the car you can not see it like you think.

2. The muffler will never be ugly and rusty, it is polished stainless stell and will remain that way from what I am told.

Fuel economy will be reduced. The more air exiting the vehicle, the more air and fuel the engine will crave. Also, the o2 sensors will compensate for this by richening up the fuel mixture.

That's kinda what I was thinking myself, though the Steeda website claims a mileage increase with the Magnaflow sytem. No numbers given, however. Perhaps their justification is that the engine doesn't have to work as hard to expel the exhaust with a freer flowing system, so more efficiency and less fuel used?

Edited by barrydancer

That's kinda what I was thinking myself, though the Steeda website claims a mileage increase with the Magnaflow sytem. No numbers given, however. Perhaps their justification is that the engine doesn't have to work as hard to expel the exhaust with a freer flowing system, so more efficiency and less fuel used?

I agree, but there will always be 2 sides to this argument...

1. Better Flow=Less the engine has to do to achieve the same thing

2. More air in=More gas used

The welds are going to rust, and that is not stainless steel, certainly not polished stainless steel. Stand 15 feet back from the rear of your car and tell me you cannot see the muffler.

You are correct, I did not mean to say "polished". It is not polished stainless steel but it IS stainless steel that I promise you. As far as seeing it, I have stood far enough behind the car when on the ground to know it is not as visible as you think. Stand 15 feet behind yours and you will see the bottom of the stock mufflers. There is not enough room to have it completely flush and out of sight.

As far as mpg goes, I have not noticed any "reduction" or "improvement". At least not by the tell tell mpg readout on the info system. As far as the welds "going to rust" sorry but we will have to agree to disagree with that one.