Sunroof rear brackets loose (Gen2)

Recently got my sunroof glass replaced on my 2016 Edge Sport due to a minor incident. 

I noticed a clunking/rattling noise coming at speed when it is open, like something is loose, checking around I found that there is some play in the rear brackets and just wanted to confirm from other owners that this is indeed not normal.

See below video I just took.

Edit:

I expect I need new brackets. Probably the little plastic stops are worn out and the replacement of the glass process made things worse. 

Screenshot_2023-12-09-20-09-32-30_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.thumb.jpg.7135586ccc31a47ba82eb5dae4257b03.jpg

On another note, the replacement sunroof glass is the updated "tempered" glass instead of the original laminated, and with the shade open (glass closed) there seems to be more wind noise than before. 

Edited by omar302

7 hours ago, CARR142 said:

I would think replacing those brackets would solve the wind noise.

The glass is being lifted during higher speed driving.

When the glass is closed, there doesn't seem to be any looseness. 

As for the sound, it doesn't sound like air leak, rather wind noise from behind the glass. I distinguish it more because I had it in my previous 2011 MKX that had a tempered glass sunroof. When I first got the Edge I remember immediately noticing the lack of wind noise from the sunroof with the shade open compared to the MKX, and I had attributed it to the laminated glass.

The difference in wind noise is similar to when riding in another vehicle that is not equipped with "Acoustic-Laminate Glass". 

The Acoustic Laminated Sunroof seems to have been dropped by Ford in 2019, as can be seen in the description in 2018 & 2019 Ford Edge order guides.

image.thumb.png.fed8aa196a79fa0d9c61438b0257bb00.png

No related TSBs found, with this being the only communicated 2016 Edge Sunroof noise/vibration/harshness issue...

SSM 49679   2015-2020 Edge, 2016-2018 MKX, 2019-2020 Nautilus - NVH Concerns After Replacement Of Roof Opening Panel Frame

Some 2015-2020 Edge, 2016-2018 MKX, and 2019-2020 Nautilus vehicles may require replacement of the roof opening panel track or frame for various conditions. When replacing the roof opening panel, the replacement component may have less magnet plates. In order to prevent any noise vibration or harshness (NVH) concerns, the magnets on the headliner around the roof opening panel that line up with the removed magnet plates should be discarded.

Good luck!

• Like 2

On 12/10/2023 at 1:47 AM, CARR142 said:

I would think replacing those brackets would solve the wind noise.

The glass is being lifted during higher speed driving.

I really do hope so. I ordered new brackets (apparently called "lift arms" by Ford) and the clips required to remove & reinstall the rear roof side trims. They need a couple of weeks to arrive. Hopefully they will fix the rattling and reduce the wind noise. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 3:54 PM, omar302 said:

I really do hope so. I ordered new brackets (apparently called "lift arms" by Ford) and the clips required to remove & reinstall the rear roof side trims. They need a couple of weeks to arrive. Hopefully they will fix the rattling and reduce the wind noise. 

Lift arms replaced. However, wind noise the same. It is definitely the acoustic roof vs. regular glass.