AWD???

FourDoorFord

• 4 months later...
Ok...so I am having a very hard time deciding on what to get...FWD or AWD..(money is not an issue) I have no clue how it works for AWD. Is the Edge AWD all the time or is there a button you press to put it from FWD into AWD? Help me please... :wacko:

"..(money is not an issue)..." "Canada"

For FWD "based" SUV's the only one you should be considering is the Acura RDX.

Real man drive AWD!!! Seriously if the difference in mileage were big enough, it could justify to have a FWD, but what you get, an extra mile? IMO is not worthy to loose all the benefits of AWD in adverse road conditions...

BTW what PTU isuues are they talking about, I haven't had any, nor have heard of any yet...

Ok...so I am having a very hard time deciding on what to get...FWD or AWD..(money is not an issue) I have no clue how it works for AWD. Is the Edge AWD all the time or is there a button you press to put it from FWD into AWD? Help me please... :wacko:

AWD for our winters. The AWD kicks in when you accelerate from a standstill and then switches to FWD. IIRC 80% of the time it's in FWD until road conditions and wheel slip conditions dictate the AWD to kick in. It works quite well ... as for milage ... the difference is 1 MPG. This will be lost when driving in poor road conditions. The milage depends on how you drive and traffic conditions. They both get the same "milage" stuck in poor traffic. If you tow a trailer ... the AWD will give you better milage & traction.

Edited by Jaak in TO

All-wheel drive (AWD) is often used to describe a "full time" 4WD that may be used on dry pavement without destroying the drivetrain, although the term may be abused when marketing a vehicle. It employs a center differential, which allows each tire to rotate at a different speed. ("Full-Time" 4WD can be disengaged and the center differential can be locked, essentially turning it into regular 4WD. On the other hand, AWD cannot be disengaged and the center differential cannot be locked)

Now from our manual:

Your vehicle may be equipped with a full-time All Wheel Drive (AWD) system. With the AWD option, power will be delivered to the front wheels and distributed to the rear wheels as needed. The AWD system is active all the time and requires no input from the operator.

All-wheel drive (AWD) is often used to describe a "full time" 4WD that may be used on dry pavement without destroying the drivetrain, although the term may be abused when marketing a vehicle. It employs a center differential, which allows each tire to rotate at a different speed. ("Full-Time" 4WD can be disengaged and the center differential can be locked, essentially turning it into regular 4WD. On the other hand, AWD cannot be disengaged and the center differential cannot be locked)

Now from our manual:

Your vehicle may be equipped with a full-time All Wheel Drive (AWD) system. With the AWD option, power will be delivered to the front wheels and distributed to the rear wheels as needed. The AWD system is active all the time and requires no input from the operator.

Except the Ford AWD system doesn't use a center differential. There is a PTU in the front that sends power to the rear differential directly. The rear differential determines how much torque is applied to the rear based on electronic controls from the computer.

Real man drive AWD!!! Seriously if the difference in mileage were big enough, it could justify to have a FWD, but what you get, an extra mile? IMO is not worthy to loose all the benefits of AWD in adverse road conditions...

BTW what PTU isuues are they talking about, I haven't had any, nor have heard of any yet...

No offense, but read the Burning Smell thread in the Maintenance, recall, TSB section of this website. It'll be a real eye opener on the PTU issues a LOT of us have had and still do ongoing. It may appear the issue is fixed, but they tend to go out in the winter, so we may not see much with them again until December. I sincerely hope you don't wind up with the problem, but it is good to know about it, so you can have an idea of what is going on if you wind up with the symptoms.

No offense, but read the Burning Smell thread in the Maintenance, recall, TSB section of this website. It'll be a real eye opener on the PTU issues a LOT of us have had and still do ongoing. It may appear the issue is fixed, but they tend to go out in the winter, so we may not see much with them again until December. I sincerely hope you don't wind up with the problem, but it is good to know about it, so you can have an idea of what is going on if you wind up with the symptoms.

I read a couple of pages but honestly if the problem were so severe, as to be mentioned everytime we talk about the PTU, I think that Ford would place a recall, and if it was placed at least I ahve not received any information yet. As I said before, mine has had absolutelly no problems till now, knock on wood, and we already passed a winter with some snow, my friend has another and the same, I know of at least three or four more than have no problems till now...I mean it could be a batch that ended with problems, it could be due a batch of defective parts, seals etc...Anywya thanks for the ehads up, and I will keep an eye open just in case!!!!

AWD for our winters. The AWD kicks in when you accelerate from a standstill and then switches to FWD. IIRC 80% of the time it's in FWD until road conditions and wheel slip conditions dictate the AWD to kick in. It works quite well ... as for milage ... the difference is 1 MPG. This will be lost when driving in poor road conditions. The milage depends on how you drive and traffic conditions. They both get the same "milage" stuck in poor traffic. If you tow a trailer ... the AWD will give you better milage & traction.

As far as I know, the MPG loss mostly attributed to the extra weight from the additional components. Yeah, you would use slightly more gas while it's engaged, but as you said, that is very infrequent. It's also for brief durations as well unless you are driving on snow or ice.

Now from our manual:

"...The AWD system is active all the time..."

No, NO, NOT...!!

The AWD system is "enabled" at all times and will therefore quickly engage the rear driveline should conditions warrant.

Out here in the public a vehicle that can have the front driveline locked into synchronization with the rear (or vice versa), as in a locked transfer case or locked center diff'l, are mostly referred to as "part-time" 4WD or even 4X4, but this latter term is often used to refer to a vehicle with an actual transfer case and low gearing.

These are referred to as "part-time" systems because they CANNOT be driven on a tractive surface in 4WD mode.

In any case there is, can be, NO FULL-TIME AWD or 4WD of ANY flavor. When driving on a highly tractive surface there MUST BE mechanical provisions to prevent tire scrubbing and/or driveline windup. Most of the time the provision chosen is to simply not have the vehicle in AWD except when it is necessary, needed, and in conditions that will not result in damage to the driveline.

I will grant you that there exists in the marketplace at least one FULL-TIME 4WD system. The system I speak of is that used by Toyota in the Highlander, Sienna, and the RX330 (if not in reality the entire RX series post 2000). These vehicles have three fully open diff'ls, front, center, and rear, and will deliver equal torque to all four wheels regardless of wheel slippage. Comprising a totally useless and non-functional ONE-WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM since any ONE wheel losing traction will limit the torque level. Were it not for TC being used to sustain a "high" level of engine torque via braking of the slipping wheel, while simultaneously dethrottling the engine, there would be no usefull functionality at all for this system.

Due to public outcry these vehicles are now equipped with a control to disable TC.

"...may be abused.."

Yes, about as often as a salespersons not long ago stating that ABS helps you stop quicker or in a shorter distance.

"..it employs a center differential.."

Almost NEVER...!

Mostly some sort of PTO/PTU and a rubber bandish, "soft" controlled coupling to the rear driveline.

"...AWD cannot be disengaged.."

Poor wording..

AWD is disengaged the MAJORITY of the time but always remains ENABLED.

"...and the center differential cannot be locked.."

According to the material supplied by FORD if/when the AWD system applies full voltage to the rear electromechanical driveline clutch the effect will be the same as locking a center diff'l, were it to have one.

Edited by wwest

"...The AWD system is active all the time..."

No, NO, NOT...!!

The AWD system is "enabled" at all times and will therefore quickly engage the rear driveline should conditions warrant.

Out here in the public a vehicle that can have the rear driveline locked into synchronization with the front, as in a locked transfer case or locked center diff'l, are mostly referred to as "part-time" 4WD or even 4X4, but this latter term is often used to refer to a vehicle with an actual transfer case and low gearing.

These are referred to as "part-time" systems because they CANNOT be driven on a tractive surface in 4WD mode.

In any case there is, can be, NO FULL-TIME AWD or 4WD of ANY flavor. When driving on a highly tractive surface there MUST BE mechanical provisions to prevent tire scrubbing and/or driveline windup. Most of the time the provision chosen is to simply not have the vehicle in AWD except when it is necessary, needed, and in conditions that will not result in damage to the driveline.

I will grant you that there exists in the marketplace at least one FULL-TIME 4WD system. The system I speak of is that used by Toyota in the Highlander, Sienna, and the RX330 (if not in reality the entire RX series post 2000). These vehicles have three fully open diff'ls, front, center, and rear, and will deliver equal torque to all four wheels regardless of wheel slippage. Comprising a totally useless and non-functional ONE-WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM since any ONE wheel losing traction will limit the torque level. Were it not for TC being used to sustain a "high" level of engine torque via braking of the slipping wheel, while simultaneously dethrottling the engine, there would be no usefull functionality at all for this system.

Due to public outcry these vehicles are now equipped with a control to disable TC.

"...may be abused.."

Yes, about as often as a salespersons not long ago stating that ABS helps you stop quicker or in a shorter distance.

"..it employs a center differential.."

Almost NEVER...!

Mostly some sort of PTO/PTU and a rubber bandish, "soft" controlled coupling to the rear driveline.

"...AWD cannot be disengaged.."

Poor wording..

AWD is disengaged the MAJORITY of the time but always remains ENABLED.

"...and the center differential cannot be locked.."

According to the material supplied by FORD if/when the AWD system applies full voltage to the rear electromechanical driveline clutch the effect will be the same as locking a center diff'l, were it to have one.

Good description how AWD works! My 2002 Jeep Liberty was also one of the vehicles that had RWD, Full time 4WD and PT 4WD. There was no button to push, but one had to actually engage Full time 4WD or PT 4WD by manually shifting it on the floor.

• 3 months later...
"..(money is not an issue)..." "Canada"

For FWD "based" SUV's the only one you should be considering is the Acura RDX.

I would also be taking a good hard look at the Hyundai Veracruz. The middle model GLS AWD Veracruz is very pricey here in Canada. It was my first choice when I was shopping this summer. The Veracruz is always referred to the same category as Acura and Lexus. Hyundai could very well be the next Toyota in the near future.

Edited by breye