"Park lights" on during daytime

Hello. I would like opinions on the following issue please.
2024 Edge SEL (Canadian)

Headlight switch in the Auto position. Daylight conditions.

Daytime running lights (the two wrap around LEDs are on during daytime while transmission is in Park)

When I put the transmission in drive - the park lights come on. Put it back in Park and the park lights go off.

If I turn the headlight switch to Off - and then put the transmission in Drive - the park lights come on. Turn it back to Park - they go off.

I was under the impression that in auto or off - the park lights would remain off in the day and only the running lights would be on per requirements in Canada...

Any insights??

Thanks

Edited by Merovingian
Grammer

From the 2024 Edge Workshop Manual...

(Placing your device cursor over underlined acronyms may yield full-words descriptions)

DRL

For base series headlamps, the DRL system illuminates the low beam Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) at a reduced intensity.

For mid and high series headlamps, the DRL system illuminates the LED DRL /front parking lamps at full intensity in the headlamp assembly when the ignition is on, the headlamp switch is in the OFF or AUTOLAMPS position and the headlamps have not been turned on by the autolamp system.

For vehicles equipped with a bull bar, the DRL system illuminates the DRL mounted in the bull bar.

When the ignition is in ON, the BCM supplies voltage to each headlamp assembly.

The BCM monitors the ignition status, the headlamp switch and autolamp status.

There are two types of DRL , conventional (where it is required) and configurable.

When equipped with conventional DRL , the DRL are active in any headlamp switch position except the HEADLAMPS position.

The conventional DRL are activated when the following conditions are met:

• the ignition is ON
  • the headlamps switch is in OFF, PARKLAMPS or AUTOLAMPS position and the headlamps have not been turned on by the autolamp system.
  • the transmission is not in PARK

When equipped with configurable DRL , the DRL may be enabled through the IPC message center. When enabled, the DRL are active only in the AUTOLAMPS headlamp position. When autolamps request the headlamps on, the DRL are de-activated.

The configurable DRL are activated when the following conditions are met:

• the ignition is ON.
  • the headlamps switch is in AUTOLAMPS position and the headlamps have not been turned on by the autolamp system.
  • the transmission is not in PARK.

When the transmission is in not in PARK, the PCM sends a message over the HS-CAN1 to the BCM indicating the transmission is not in PARK.

The BCM also provides Field Effect Transistor (FET) protection of the DRL output circuits. When an excessive current draw is detected, the BCM disables the affected circuit driver.

Because yours is a Canadian-market Edge, where Daytime Running Lights are an always-on Transport Canada requirement, the above "configurable DRL" ability is not provided.

Good luck!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 10:40 AM, Merovingian said:

@Haz Thank you for this. I really appreciate it.

Not completely happy about having them on when the sun is shining brightly though.

I am having the exact same problem on my 2024 ST line (Canada) Edge. Even with the headlight switch in the off position, when the vehicle is in drive, all the exterior lights except for the actual headlights are on with the LED strip around the headlight. And as soon as I put it in park, they all go off. Was just at my dealership and they said that’s normal for all the new Edges. I am not impressed, as it looks like I’ll be changing lights a lot faster then I thought, due to them being on all the time. 

3 hours ago, CanadianSTLine said:

I am having the exact same problem on my 2024 ST line (Canada) Edge. Even with the headlight switch in the off position, when the vehicle is in drive, all the exterior lights except for the actual headlights are on with the LED strip around the headlight. And as soon as I put it in park, they all go off. Was just at my dealership and they said that’s normal for all the new Edges. I am not impressed, as it looks like I’ll be changing lights a lot faster then I thought, due to them being on all the time. 

It's not a problem, it's the law. Feel free to write transport Canada and complain about it. Tell them you're not happy about complying with  TSD 108, Section 25, Subsections (26) 20 (30).

FWIW, my 2010 Malibu has the original headlamp bulbs after 10 years of use. Daytime running lights on constantly. Keep in mind that they run at reduced voltage.

Edited by handfiler

They are all LED, and if on for 8 hours a day every day, should last 20 years or more. They never bothered to update the owners manual (still shows it taking a 9005 high beam and h11 low beam light), but I don't think anything but maybe the license plate light is a replaceable bulb.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, handfiler said:

It's not a problem, it's the law. Feel free to write transport Canada and complain about it. Tell them you're not happy about complying with  TSD 108, Section 25, Subsections (26) 20 (30).

FWIW, my 2010 Malibu has the original headlamp bulbs after 10 years of use. Daytime running lights on constantly. Keep in mind that they run at reduced voltage.

I am well aware that in Canada since the early 90s all vehicles are required to have working daytime running lights. However that’s never encompassed rear tail lights. For 2024 there’s a new safety module built-in to Ford edges and it runs all exterior lights with the exception of headlights when the vehicle is in drive, and the headlights are in the off position as a part of the daytime running lights module. That’s what I am referring to. That is something Ford took upon themselves to change which is above, and beyond what the law requires. 

Edited by CanadianSTLine

15 hours ago, dabangsta said:

They are all LED, and if on for 8 hours a day every day, should last 20 years or more. They never bothered to update the owners manual (still shows it taking a 9005 high beam and h11 low beam light), but I don't think anything but maybe the license plate light is a replaceable bulb.

I think right about that. I do believe the license plate bulbs are the only ones that are replaceable. And yes we should expect all LED lights and to last that long, but sadly, we all know they will not.  And you don’t have to look any further than the years passed. The LEDs themselves, I’m sure will last, but it’s the control modules, and drivers that never seemed to last.

Edited by CanadianSTLine

6 minutes ago, CanadianSTLine said:

I am well aware that in Canada since the early 90s all vehicles are required to have working daytime running lights. However that’s never encompassed rear tail lights. For 2024 there’s a new safety module built-in to Ford edges and it runs all exterior lights with the exception of headlights when the vehicle is in drive, and the headlights are in the off position as a part of the daytime running lights module. That’s what I am referring to. That is something Ford took upon themselves to change which is above, and beyond what the law requires. 

And how is that a bad idea given that many drivers are too clueless to realize they are driving at night without tail lights. I commend Ford for being proactive.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, handfiler said:

And how is that a bad idea given that many drivers are too clueless to realize they are driving at night without tail lights. I commend Ford for being proactive.

That’s true, and given the amount of vehicles that are equipped with auto headlights, it’s hard to believe that still happens so much. I mean, how hard is it to leave your headlight switch in the auto position?? That being said, I’ll be  using forscan to turn that off. The LED lights themselves mite last a long time, but I know for a fact the drivers and control modules will not. I don’t feel like spending money on those to replace them prematurely if I don’t have to.