Is This Surface Rust or Structural Rust / Rot??

Ecal

I'm considering purchasing this 2013 Ford Edge Sport with 126,000 miles from Indiana. Overall it looks in amazing shape, it's been garaged it's entire life, and I have service records from the dealer for its entire life showing all required maintenance has been done over its entire life. I ordered a pre-purchase inspection which is pending. The owner's photos show rust on pinch welds and other areas as you can see in the 5 photos. I don't see any rust on the rocker panels. 2 questions:

1) Is this normal surface rust or is it rust that is turning into structural rust or rot?

2) If I buy the car, what are your recommendations for how to address this rust?

Thanks! 

20240313_110321.jpg

20240313_110430.jpg

IMG_20240312_220008.jpg

Edited by Ecal
Added another photo

• Ecal changed the title to Is This Surface Rust or Structural Rust / Rot??

That rocker panel rust looks like it will be pitted when removed, but not all the way through. The key will be getting it down to clean metal and keeping it clean and dry until primed. I wouldn't worry about under the car, it's the sheet metal that will go first. Good luck.

15 hours ago, Tim W. AZ said:

That rocker panel rust looks like it will be pitted when removed, but not all the way through. The key will be getting it down to clean metal and keeping it clean and dry until primed. I wouldn't worry about under the car, it's the sheet metal that will go first. Good luck.

Tim, thanks so much! I plan on using a steel wire brush to clean it off. What do you recommend I prime it with? I've had some folks recommend basic metal primer then paint it, or use Fluid Film, others says Flex Seal or Plasti Dip. 

I'd wire brush it the best you can, prime the bad areas, spray a very light coat of rubberized undercoating on the entire chassis and then spray everything you can with a few cans of Fluid Film every fall.   I live in a nasty rust belt and have done this since purchasing my 2011 SEL brand new and she still looks great underneath.  I have gotten some rust along that lower rocker seam because it's really difficult to spray between the metal that's spot welded there.  Also, it's a good idea to spray some rustproofing inside and outside of all the bottom door, hood and tailgate seams. I use a product called Amber Rustproofing.  It doesn't take much time for annual rust prevention maintenance and it's definitely worth it if you live in a salt belt. 

6 hours ago, Ecal said:

Tim, thanks so much! I plan on using a steel wire brush to clean it off. What do you recommend I prime it with? I've had some folks recommend basic metal primer then paint it, or use Fluid Film, others says Flex Seal or Plasti Dip. 

I would go farther than just a hand held wire brush to get it to bare metal. There are different types of wheels for a drill or angle grinder. The best primer is an epoxy or urethane, but Rustoleum auto primer will work fine. I don't remember what it's called, but there are rust neutralizers you spread on, then prime. I wouldn't apply Flex Seal or Plasti-Dip until you prime, and I wouldn't use it at all, if not applied properly, it seems like a place where moisture could collect. I used to live in MN so I've been cleaning up rusty cars since the 70's when you could hear the rust forming. I now live in AZ so its dried out components that are the problem. Good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by Tim W. AZ

On 3/19/2024 at 12:37 PM, fishx65 said:

I'd wire brush it the best you can, prime the bad areas, spray a very light coat of rubberized undercoating on the entire chassis and then spray everything you can with a few cans of Fluid Film every fall.   I live in a nasty rust belt and have done this since purchasing my 2011 SEL brand new and she still looks great underneath.  I have gotten some rust along that lower rocker seam because it's really difficult to spray between the metal that's spot welded there.  Also, it's a good idea to spray some rustproofing inside and outside of all the bottom door, hood and tailgate seams. I use a product called Amber Rustproofing.  It doesn't take much time for annual rust prevention maintenance and it's definitely worth it if you live in a salt belt. 

This is really helpful! Thank you!! 

On 3/19/2024 at 2:42 PM, Tim W. AZ said:

I would go farther than just a hand held wire brush to get it to bare metal. There are different types of wheels for a drill or angle grinder. The best primer is an epoxy or urethane, but Rustoleum auto primer will work fine. I don't remember what it's called, but there are rust neutralizers you spread on, then prime. I wouldn't apply Flex Seal or Plasti-Dip until you prime, and I wouldn't use it at all, if not applied properly, it seems like a place where moisture could collect. I used to live in MN so I've been cleaning up rusty cars since the 70's when you could hear the rust forming. I now live in AZ so its dried out components that are the problem. Good luck and keep us posted.

This is awesome info! Thanks for the help! 

• Like 1