Service Awareness Newsletter - Oil Supply Filter Replacement When Replacing The Turbocharger Or The Turbocharger Oil Supply Tube

ServiceAwarenessNewsletterVol2Issue2-TurbochargerOilSupplyfilter.thumb.jpg.742993c4d0965465965f97c339c670de.jpg

Supplemental images of Turbocharger Oil Supply Tubes from the Edge Workshop Manuals...

EcoBoost 2.0L illustration - The filter is located on the Engine oil supply-side of the Tube.

Turbochargeroilsupplytubefilter-2.0LEcoBoost-Engineoiloutletillustration-2013EdgeWorkshopManual.jpg.9331d20ef85530d2d7b15448c4a4ac64.jpg

2.0L EcoBoost Turbocharger Oil Supply Tube

Turbochargeroilsupplytubefilter-2.0LEcoBoost-EdgeWorkshopManual.jpg.1ba5f8536aedeecaddfa1eff8967ca6b.jpg

2.7L EcoBoost Turbocharger Oil Supply Tube, Left Hand

Turbochargeroilsupplytubefilter-2.7LEcoboostLH-EdgeWorkshopManual.jpg.17a6f57c43b2798274415c9d4f1145d3.jpg

2.7L EcoBoost Turbocharger Oil Supply Tube, Right Hand

Turbochargeroilsupplytubefilter-2.7LEcoboostRH-EdgeWorkshopManual.jpg.68753c829c2100f2726f3df011eb6bc0.jpg

Example-listings of filters found on Ford's online parts-selling website...

2.0L EcoBoost - Two different part numbers and three listings are shown for various manufacturing dates, so searching by vehicle VIN would be advisable to ensure proper filter fitment.

Turbochargeroilsupplytubefilter-08-08-2011to12-24-20142.0LEcoBoost-FordParts_com.thumb.jpg.cf7655a6cca0457a0b8b503713b25382.jpg

Turbochargeroilsupplytubefilter-2015andlaterEdge2.0LEcoBoost-FordParts_com.thumb.jpg.255e73b33e8b9f4b6de7827856c15e4e.jpg

Turbochargeroilsupplytubefilter-09-06-2018andon2015andlaterEdge2.0LEcoBoost-FordParts_com.thumb.jpg.5e0754d6a2c2c65fb01a013a5dad61e8.jpg

2.7L EcoBoost - One listing found, though searching by vehicle VIN is always a good idea.

Turbochargeroilsupplytubefilter-01-19-2015andlater2.7LEcoBoost-FordParts_com.thumb.jpg.125428b565555ba04235ab8dfe50aa9e.jpg

Edited by Haz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great question!

Essentially, this is Ford's reminder to Service technicians to install new filter/O-rings whenever the tube is removed and reinstalled, or when a new tube is installed if the original tube is damaged.

Notable for me was the mention: "the warranty claim can be adjusted or denied if not replaced when required in the WSM " (Workshop Manual).

Procedure from the Edge Workshop Manual (with emphasis added)...

Upon removal

1. NOTICE: Do not use a metal brush, damage to sealing area will result in leaks.

• Inspect the turbocharger tube and the sealing surfaces. Ensure that the retaining bracket is not bent, check for square-ness of the retaining bracket to the O-ring area. Use brake cleaner and a nylon brush to clean. Install new components as needed.
      Material: Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner / PM-4-A, PM-4-B
    1. Remove and discard the turbocharger oil supply tube O-ring seals and the turbocharger oil supply tube oil filter.

TurbochargerOilSupplyTube-MandatoryReplacementItemsonTube.jpg.73a5353c6b5724b022c0a6c4aa248239.jpg

Upon installation

1. Install the new turbocharger oil supply tube O-ring seals and the new turbocharger oil supply tube oil filter. Lubricate the new O-ring seals with clean engine oil.
    Refer to: Specifications (303-01B Engine - 2.7L EcoBoost (238kW/324PS), Specifications).
TurbochargerOilSupplyTube-LubricationofitemsonTubebeforeinstallation.jpg.b9c48addb330aff027a7dde713ec2f2a.jpg
  1. NOTICE: Do not use a metal brush, damage to sealing area will result in leaks.

NOTICE: When installing the turbocharger oil supply tube into the engine block, use care not to damage the new turbocharger oil supply tube oil filter.

• Carefully use a nylon brush to remove the old O-ring residue and use brake cleaner to rinse the O-ring residue out of the turbocharger tube to turbocharger O-ring bore and the turbocharger tube to engine O-ring bore. Inspect the area for deep scratches and gouges. Install new components as needed.
    1. Install the turbocharger oil supply tube, then install and tighten the turbocharger oil supply tube bolts.
      Material: Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner / PM-4-A, PM-4-B
      Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)

Good luck!

• Like 2

I'm a little concerned about the turbo when we get to 75K+ miles and I'm willing to have or do any preventive maintenance to extend life. I guess I'll just hang on for the ride until that day possibly arrives. Thanks for your excellent posts.

12 hours ago, Tim W. AZ said:

I'm a little concerned about the turbo when we get to 75K+ miles and I'm willing to have or do any preventive maintenance to extend life. I guess I'll just hang on for the ride until that day possibly arrives. Thanks for your excellent posts.

regarding concern for the turbo(s) there are a few things you can do to minimize the risk of premature failure.

Never beat on it cold, use the best fully synthetic spec oil (to avoid coking and maximize lubrication film strength),

And utilize safe 'run down' practices.. Particularly if you live somewhere hot..

One more thought, that I'm sure will get push back from some, is to add a lower temperature thermostat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

regarding concern for the turbo(s) there are a few things you can do to minimize the risk of premature failure.

Never beat on it cold, use the best fully synthetic spec oil (to avoid coking and maximize lubrication film strength),

And utilize safe 'run down' practices.. Particularly if you live somewhere hot..

One more thought, that I'm sure will get push back from some, is to add a lower temperature thermostat.

Thanks for the tips. I use Motorcraft Semi-Syn and change oil at about 6-7K. I take a couple of road trips in spring and summer and typically change after those. I'm retired so I don't drive a lot, but I live in the Phoenix area and do errands early in the day in summer. I will use the run down practice in summer. As far as the thermostat, I've learned the hard way that, if it ain't broke...

• Like 1