Leaving Devices Plugged In

This question is as old as SYNC itself, but after checking eight pages of posts and using the above title as search words, I didn't find anything. There are conflicting opinions on the interweb, and most say devices power down and don't drain the battery, but I have two iPods plugged in and want to leave them there, so I'll ask the question, does leaving devices plugged in all the time potentially drain the battery?

The accessory 12v power ports shut down after 75 minutes after delay power is shut off. That can be changed via ForScan to immediately shut off, never shut off, or various times, the different settings can be found in most ForScan spreadsheets for the Fusion or F150 (or edge of course). If they are plugged into the USB ports they are powered down when the delay accessory power is turned off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dabangsta said:

The accessory 12v power ports shut down after 75 minutes after delay power is shut off. That can be changed via ForScan to immediately shut off, never shut off, or various times, the different settings can be found in most ForScan spreadsheets for the Fusion or F150 (or edge of course). If they are plugged into the USB ports they are powered down when the delay accessory power is turned off.

I'm using the center console usb ports. I'm assuming they shut down either when the lights go out, or after a few minutes when the ecu sounds like it's clicking off.

2 hours ago, dabangsta said:

Like to add that on gen one vehicles, the power points are hot continously when the engine is off. (They never shut off.)

Ā 

Discovered this the hard way when I left a radar detector plugged in over a weekend.Ā 

5 minutes ago, enigma-2 said:

Like to add that on gen one vehicles, the power points are hot continously when the engine is off. (They never shut off.)

Ā 

Discovered this the hard way when I left a radar detector plugged in over a weekend.Ā 

I had a Focus with SYNC 1 and to say the least, it was buggy.

Power point or are you talking about Sync 1?Ā 

Ā 

I've never had a problem with either, don't really use Sync all that much, phone connection and map directions mostly. Not buggy on mine. Power points work perfectly (what can possibly go wrong?)

Ā 

knock on wood

I have two iPods permanently plugged into each of the USBs on my 2018 Edge and have never had an issue with the battery draining. I've left the car for more than three weeks sometimes and the car has always started, no problem.

As far as I'm aware the USB power shuts off about 10 minutes after the ignition.

• Like 1

Does the IPAD actually charge of a standard USB port? Although the Red requires +5vdc and Black is common, I thought that the IPAD required 2.0 & 2.75 on the D+ & D- pins to initiate charging?Ā 

Edited by enigma-2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Does the IPAD actually charge of a standard USB port? Although the Red requires +5vdc and Black is common, I thought that the IPAD required 2.0 & 2.75 on the D+ & D- pins to initiate charging?Ā 

I misspoke in my op when I stated two usb ports. There is a usb and a 19 pin (?) port in the center console below the climate control. I have a very old iPod plugged into the usb and a less old nano in the 19 pin. It's about 3500 songs.Ā 

Edited by Tim W. AZ

On 4/2/2024 at 7:52 PM, enigma-2 said:

All the iPods I have (2 Classics, 5 Nanos and a Touch) charge OK on the USB sockets. I've not tried an iPad though. That might be different.

3 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Never liked charging by USB, takes too long. I only use the power plug anymore. Easier to plug in as well. (Plus it stays on when the car is shut off, able to continue charging when having lunch, etc.)

My original question was about draining the battery, not charging. I just wanted some confirmation that it didn't drain the battery and niceonept answered my question. Since I plugged them in, I noticed once that the nano battery wasn't fully charged, so that indicates that they shut down, otherwise it would always be fully charged.