Coolant color of my 22 ST

Davidoo

I've had my ST for 2 years now and zero issue.  I check all the fluids regularly and I think about once a year I've noticed the coolant gets toward the MIN line on the overflow canister.  I added a little pre-diluted Motorcraft Yellow coolant about a year ago, and now again this year.  I don't find this out of the ordinary to top it off on any other vehicle I've owned about once a year.

What I did notice that the coolant that came out of the new container was a much brighter neon yellow than the coolant in my overflow tank.  It has a little darker, dull look to it, albeit still yellow.  I'm assuming this is normal due to wear that the coolant won't maintain the bright color right out of the bottle, but concerned about oil intrusion I've read about other engines.  I don't think the 22 ST with the 2.7L Turbo has this issue.  Just wanted to check with anyone else with an ST a couple of years old and see if the bright yellow coolant has lost some of its luster.  I don't have any evidence of coolant in the oil, and I don't think it unusual to add not even a half-inch to the overflow canister once a year.  Thanks!

I think from 21 on you are ok. But you may have a small leak somewhere as I don't think you should have to add coolant, even though it is a very small amount. Sounds like you are still under warranty, I would definitely take it to the dealer with your concerns. Even if nothing ever comes out of it, you will have documentation showing there may have been an issue while it was under the warranty period. Most likely nothing to worry about, but cover your bases. 

Ford seems to be very good a blowing us off for the small things. Almost like unless it is major they don't want to deal with it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I really needed to add any.  Now today, driving it a while, I checked it and it is about an inch OVER the max line.  I know that won't hurt anything as if it ever does get too high the car will spit it out of the overflow if needed.  So, I probably didn't need to add any....I just noticed the color after 2 years wasn't as vibrant of yellow as it is coming out of the bottle.

• Like 1

I have a 19 ST.  Over the last 4 years I have noticed a slight drop in the coolant level also.  I had it pressure checked, with no issues.  But I wondered where the coolant went.

The newer yellow coolant definitely has a bright yellow fluorescent look to it.  Compared to coolant in the tank which has lost some of its luster.  I assume this is just the normal breakdown.   

I only have 26,000 miles on it, but will be doing a drain and refill this summer.

5 hours ago, JoeVic said:

I have a 19 ST.  Over the last 4 years I have noticed a slight drop in the coolant level also.  I had it pressure checked, with no issues.  But I wondered where the coolant went.

The newer yellow coolant definitely has a bright yellow fluorescent look to it.  Compared to coolant in the tank which has lost some of its luster.  I assume this is just the normal breakdown.   

I only have 26,000 miles on it, but will be doing a drain and refill this summer.

I think you are right and it is normal to not look as new in the overflow tank as what comes out of the bottle.  Every vehicle I've had evaporated a bit after a year or two and I had to add some.  I haven't even added a total of one cup to my 22 ST in 2 years.  I was more concerned about the color not being as bright as new.  

• Like 1