Which transmission

Hi all, Ford employee here in the UK and owner of many Fords over the years.

This is my first Edge and it is a 2019 ST line, 2.0l bi turbo diesel, 25000 miles on the clock pushing out 238bhp (240ps).

After reading about issues with the 8F35 transmission I've decided to service the trans and PTU. 

However, after assuming I have the 8F35 trans, my local dealer has informed me that the trans in my Edge is actually the 8F57.

I suppose I have three questions....

1) What are the chances the dealer is wrong? I've never had much faith in any dealers, not just Ford.

2) Is there a visual check I can make to confirm either way?

3) How does this affect my decisions going forward? Is 30k oil changes still necessary? Is the procedure still the same?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Edited by scobecu

On 8/7/2022 at 4:04 PM, kruzr1 said:

Thought I would post this here as a comparison/reference. 

I recently did a fluid change on my 2019 Edge ST with the 8F57 transmission. I did not encounter any problems that colinc755 had with his 8F35 transmission. I did remove the airbox to get easier access to the fill/vent plug but there was nothing else attached to it, it came straight out. On a side note, I could've probably just removed one of the intake hoses to gain access to the fill plug. The fill plug itself was easily accessible and was held on by a squeeze clamp and came off easy.  Neither the drain plug or level plug were difficult to remove, used a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 3/8 hex socket to remove the level plug. I did remove the tire and set the ride height with a jack and stand to get access to the level plug but turns out it can be reached by turning the wheel out. The amount of fluid that came out was 4 quarts and 12 ounces. My work shop manual says this:

1. Remove the transmission vent cap and fill with transmission fluid.
    1. Transmission overhaul (includes main control and torque converter drain)
      Volume : 6.34  qt ( 6  L)
    1. Main control overhaul or replace (with out transmission overhaul)
      Material : Motorcraft® MERCON® ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid / XT-12-QULV (WSS-M2C949-A) (MERCON® ULV)
      Volume : 5.28  qt ( 5  L)

I refilled with 4 quarts and 16 ounces. The hardest part was probably trying to get the transmission up to operating temp. I drove around for at least 20 minutes and also used sport mode to help. When I did get to the leveling procedure, I had some fluid seep out for a bit and then slowed to a drip and I reinstalled the level plug. I have been monitoring fluid temps off and on since without any issues.  I don't have a lot of miles on my ST but I believe in being proactive, and as has been said before "no fluid lasts forever". I've also replaced fluid in my PTU and RDU already.

Trying to find out more info on my ptu. I believe I have the 8f57 tranny on my 2919 bi turbo diesel Edge. Was the ptu oil change easy? I'm reading conficting info, some that says there's no drain plug on this model......

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, scobecu said:

Trying to find out more info on my ptu. I believe I have the 8f57 tranny on my 2919 bi turbo diesel Edge. Was the ptu oil change easy? I'm reading conficting info, some that says there's no drain plug on this model......

Have you tried searching the forum for "ptu" ?

16 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Have you tried searching the forum for "ptu" ?

Yes, zero results come up. I have scoured the posts though, on here and elsewhere, hence the conflicting info......

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tim W. AZ said:

What does the transmission ID on the sticker on the lower B pillar state, 8 or F. F indicates it's the 8F57, 8 is the 8F35.

Thank you. That was very helpful. It is indeed F!

• Like 1