Unknown Ringing Noise

jonesdz

For the last week I have been hearing a faint ringing noise close to the backseat. The radio and all other electronic devices, have been turned off, however the noise continues. There is no sync or DVD monitors installed. The AC is off including the vents. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

For the last week I have been hearing a faint ringing noise close to the backseat. The radio and all other electronic devices, have been turned off, however the noise continues. There is no sync or DVD monitors installed. The AC is off including the vents. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Drive shaft?

I do not have that, but what I do have, oddly, is that I can hear a phone dial tone ever so slight. If I turn the volume down all the way on the head unit (full nav/sync model), you can faintly hear a dial tone for a phone through the speakers. anyone else hear this? just so happens, I even tested it last night thinking if I cut off the bluetooth connection to my phone, it would shut the sound down as I was thinking it must be tied to that. but no dice. I can slightly hear it with with something playing on the head unit when volume is low, but can clearly hear it if I turn volume all the way down. yes, it could be some sort of distortion from wires or feedback or bad ground, but it so clearly sounds like a dial tone and never changes tone or goes away.

Hi jonesdz. :D If you can only hear it while moving, I would tend to agree with Splitpi; driveshaft (if AWD), drivetrain, wheel bearing or something similar.

If you can also hear it while sitting still and the Sound System, HVAC, etc are all turned off, I would think it could possibly be the fuel pump.

With a 2009 you should still be well within your Bumper to Bumper Warranty. I would recommend you bring it in to have the problem diagnosed and repaired.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi jonesdz,

If you hear the ringing only while the engine is running and it occurs even when the vehicle is not in motion then I'll bet it is the fuel pump. My 08 MKX does the same thing and my dealer told me that Ford is not addressing the issue. If enough people complain maybe Ford will eventually do something about it. When will these companies learn that outstanding service after the sale is vital to keeping customers. Bring your vehicle in and have it diagnosed. Let us know how it turns out.

I can hear a high-pitched noise. At first I thought it was electronics noise from the audio system, but the noise persists with the audio system off and car stationary.

I only notice it when all is quite, as soon as I get going down the road, or turn the audio up, I no longer notice it.

Hi computerguy. :D Again, those symptoms (a high pitched sound audible especially when the car is not moving and all other electronics are turned off etc), are all signs of a fuel pump noise.

Now, a certain amount of sound from a fuel pump is normal, since it is a high pressure pump. And some make a little more noise than others. even when working properly. And some people are more sensitive to the sound (especially high pitched sounds) than others.

So in the end, if you think there is an unusual problem with your Edge, your best bet is to make an appointment with your Dealerships Service Department for diagnosis/service.

Edited by bbf2530

I do not have that, but what I do have, oddly, is that I can hear a phone dial tone ever so slight. If I turn the volume down all the way on the head unit (full nav/sync model), you can faintly hear a dial tone for a phone through the speakers. anyone else hear this? just so happens, I even tested it last night thinking if I cut off the bluetooth connection to my phone, it would shut the sound down as I was thinking it must be tied to that. but no dice. I can slightly hear it with with something playing on the head unit when volume is low, but can clearly hear it if I turn volume all the way down. yes, it could be some sort of distortion from wires or feedback or bad ground, but it so clearly sounds like a dial tone and never changes tone or goes away.

Sorry Lex ;) but no dial tone on cell phones (at least none that I ever worked on).

Keep this a secret :party: Cell phone's should be called cell RADIO's, some even still have a visible antenna, but all have one.

Speaking of bluetooth... how do you turn it off, sync not my cell phone?

Sometimes the whole car doesn't need to hear.

I know the answer is probably in the book, but it's much easer/usually quicker to ask here.

Thanks

ab

Sorry Lex ;) but no dial tone on cell phones (at least none that I ever worked on).

Keep this a secret :party: Cell phone's should be called cell RADIO's, some even still have a visible antenna, but all have one.

Speaking of bluetooth... how do you turn it off, sync not my cell phone?

Sometimes the whole car doesn't need to hear.

I know the answer is probably in the book, but it's much easer/usually quicker to ask here.

Thanks

ab

yep, there is a book :) and the book will tell you while in a call go to the phone screen and there is a privacy or private button (can't recall what exactly it is called but I recall it is in lower left corner) on your screen and that will take it off sync and send to the cell phone only...

yes, yes.. I certainly know there is no dial tone on a cell phone, but that was the best way to describe it.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the best and simplest solution is to have the dealership check it out. Has anyone been to the dealership for the same problem, what was the diagnosis, and did they fix the problem?

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the best and simplest solution is to have the dealership check it out. Has anyone been to the dealership for the same problem, what was the diagnosis, and did they fix the problem?

Hi jonesdz. :D If it is the fuel pump making the ringing noise, the Dealer will check to see if it is working properly. If it is working properly, within spec, and the noise is not apparent to them, they will most likely not do anything at this point, unless it gets worse (just being honest). If the noise is being caused by the fuel pump and the fuel pump is defective, it will be replaced.

As stated earlier, a certain amount of fuel pump noise is normal, since it is a high pressure pump. What needs to be determined is what the cause of your noise is. If it is the fuel pump, it then must be determined whether the noise is normal or abnormal.

If I could make a suggestion: Ask for the keys to two or three other Edges that are on the Dealer lot, start them up and see if you hear the same noise. If you do, the noise is likely normal. If you do not, point it out to the Service Writer for proof of a problem.

Let us know what happens.

Edited by bbf2530

• 5 years later...