SAD DAY!! Wifes Edge got rear ended yesterday

kiese02

Its a sad day in our household. My wife and kids were rearended yesterday. She and the kids are fine but the poor Edge looks very sad now. The Edge did a awesome job of protecting my family and took the brunt of a young girl driving a 09 Jeep Grand Cherokee who never even hit the brakes. We approximate she was driving around 35mph plus when she hit my wife and kids who were stopped waiting for a car ahead of them to turn left. I find out tomm how bad the damage will be!!! The rear hatch is definately shot and the spare tire compartment is buckled pretty badly. I dont think it messed up the drive line but i am by no means an expert on that kinda stuff. I do know it doesnt take much anymore to consider them total losses! We have only had the Edge for a little over a month and my wife loved it. Now shes gonna have to wait awhile to get it back unless they scrap it and get us a new one. We are very glad we purchased out Edge and safety was one of the many reasons we chose it. I will post when i found out the damage.

Its a sad day in our household. My wife and kids were rearended yesterday. She and the kids are fine but the poor Edge looks very sad now. The Edge did a awesome job of protecting my family and took the brunt of a young girl driving a 09 Jeep Grand Cherokee who never even hit the brakes. We approximate she was driving around 35mph plus when she hit my wife and kids who were stopped waiting for a car ahead of them to turn left. I find out tomm how bad the damage will be!!! The rear hatch is definately shot and the spare tire compartment is buckled pretty badly. I dont think it messed up the drive line but i am by no means an expert on that kinda stuff. I do know it doesnt take much anymore to consider them total losses! We have only had the Edge for a little over a month and my wife loved it. Now shes gonna have to wait awhile to get it back unless they scrap it and get us a new one. We are very glad we purchased out Edge and safety was one of the many reasons we chose it. I will post when i found out the damage.

Same happened to my wife a few weeks back. Not nearly as bad as yours though. Glad you all are ok. To replace a bent exhaust system, repair/paint a small dent in the hatch and replace/paint the entire rear bumper and plastic was over $2K. Of course, we had the Ford Body Shop do it.

What's up with the rear-end collisions??? Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Waiting for someone in front of me to turn left and got rearended by an 18 year old girl driving a Chevy Corsica. New rear bumper cover, new exhaust, and paint = $1,700.00. I got to drive a Kia Spectra for a week while my Ford dealer fixed it.

What's up with the rear-end collisions??? Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Waiting for someone in front of me to turn left and got rearended by an 18 year old girl driving a Chevy Corsica. New rear bumper cover, new exhaust, and paint = $1,700.00. I got to drive a Kia Spectra for a week while my Ford dealer fixed it.

This car is so damn sweet looking.....people pay attention to it and not driving ;) Glad everyone is ok. 35 mph is fast considering your wife was stopped and that dumb broad didn't even hit the brakes. Nice to know the Edge handled it nicely.

Got an estimate today for the damage....8,000-10,000 plus to fix it and it may be more once they cut into it. They said is will be very fixable but it just doesnt look like it right now. In reality they say it looks far worse than it really is but anytime your talking that kind of money to fix it i says its bad. Thanks to all who have shared their stories. Not sure why so many rearendings, but i will say the girl was probably in her early twenties and she obviusly was not paying attention to driving. I am just glad my wife was driving her Edge and not our older car and everyone is safe and sound. We are gonna miss the Edge while they fix it but hopefully in a couple weeks we will have it back.

Same happened to my wife a few weeks back. Not nearly as bad as yours though. Glad you all are ok. To replace a bent exhaust system, repair/paint a small dent in the hatch and replace/paint the entire rear bumper and plastic was over $2K. Of course, we had the Ford Body Shop do it.

Got an estimate today for the damage....8,000-10,000 plus to fix it and it may be more once they cut into it. They said is will be very fixable but it just doesnt look like it right now. In reality they say it looks far worse than it really is but anytime your talking that kind of money to fix it i says its bad. Thanks to all who have shared their stories. Not sure why so many rearendings, but i will say the girl was probably in her early twenties and she obviusly was not paying attention to driving. I am just glad my wife was driving her Edge and not our older car and everyone is safe and sound. We are gonna miss the Edge while they fix it but hopefully in a couple weeks we will have it back.

Damn, that's alot of $$.....is this a Ford body shop or an insurance recommended one?

I have had people say they cant see my brake lights. Also i replaced one about 4-5 months ago bulb was burned out and there is no indication on the dash. I bought a pack of 2 so i just replaced both sides.
How can someone not see the high mounted brake lights on each side of the vehicle, and the LED third brake light on top of the rear window ??? People scare me.

18 yr olds with phones and text messages.............

Well, I rear ended someone in my 2008 Edge Limited, Vapor Silver. The front end is pretty solid too. I hit a guy in front of me trying to avoid hitting someone in front of HIM. I had no choice but to hit him.

I put 6k of damage on the fron of my edge, but I never even felt it when I hit at about 14 mph. No airbags deployed and I was fine. Looked a lot worst then it actually was. My neighbor is a GM for a ford dealer and said that the car performed perfectly in the crash.

I have a 10 month old and feel pretty good now knowing that people who where rear ended and I damaged the front and everyone is still safe.

Thanks ford.

Here's a pic of what I did.

I will post pictures as soon as my lawyer says its ok. The girls insurance totaled our EDGE so we are in the process of battling with them over replacement costs!! Once i know its safe i will definately post the pics. All i can say is that it did some major structural damage to the unibody and that the cargo area floor was folded in pretty badly. All i all though, it protected my family the way it was designed too and i am grateful to FORD for their vehicle safety! I appreciate everyones input and am glad to hear from others that they too were pleased with the safety quality after they were in accidents.

This post is worthless with out photos :)

I am glad your wife is safe and sound. It makes me feel better about my wife driving her edge now.