Progressive Hum noise....Quite annoying!

BlazedUp

My wifes Edge developed this rather audible "hum" noise while cruising on the highway. As we go faster the noise speeds up......the sound is like a quiet airplane you hear off in the distance or like a sound you would hear if you put a baseball card in the spokes of a bike. I put the car in neutral while cruising at 55 and this had no effect on the noise....also revved it up while in neutral and still, the noise remained constant.....It does seem louder when sitting on passenger side. At first I thought it was the tires, but the noise remains constant wether on asphalt, concrete or even dirt. Of course the noise slows as the car slows and it just abruptly showed up over the weekend.

2008 Limited AWD.

My wifes Edge developed this rather audible "hum" noise while cruising on the highway. As we go faster the noise speeds up......the sound is like a quiet airplane you hear off in the distance or like a sound you would hear if you put a baseball card in the spokes of a bike. I put the car in neutral while cruising at 55 and this had no effect on the noise....also revved it up while in neutral and still, the noise remained constant.....It does seem louder when sitting on passenger side. At first I thought it was the tires, but the noise remains constant wether on asphalt, concrete or even dirt. Of course the noise slows as the car slows and it just abruptly showed up over the weekend.

2008 Limited AWD.

Hi BlazedUp. :D Could be lot of things: Transmission, differential, wheel bearing, driveshaft/halfshafts, tires, etc etc.

Silly question: Have you also heard this noise with the Audio System turned completely off? Just want to rule out some sort of engine interference with the Audio System. It does happen, and the interference sound when this happens also "speeds up" and slows down correspondingly to vehicle speed.

Unfortunately, your best bet is to bring it in for Service. Ask to have a Tech take a short ride with you and be sure that the Tech clearly states that he/she hears the noise, so that you do not later get the dreaded "We coild not replicate your noise concern.

Let us know what you find out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

2008 Limited AWD.

It sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

Just got the report.....Bad wheel bearing. Thanks for your input Druck, it is nice to have a real mechanics advice on here. Of course the part has to be ordered. Is it ok to drive with a bad wheel bearing? I hear that once they go, the wheel can fall off :o

Edited by BlazedUp

Just got the report.....Bad wheel bearing. Thanks for your input Druck, it is nice to have a real mechanics advice on here. Of course the part has to be ordered. Is it ok to drive with a bad wheel bearing? I hear that once they go, the wheel can fall off :o

Hi BlazedUp. :D Hey, at least a little love for me? :shades: I included a bad wheel bearing as a possibility in my very first post. :reading: I feel cold and lonely...oh the horror! :hysterical:

Anyway, glad they found the problem.

Thank you. I try and help when I can. It can be driven, but I would not drive far and be very careful. The best advise would be not to drive it if possible as it is possible for the wheel to come off if the bearing completely fails.

Edited by druck52

• 2 weeks later...

I also have this problem it started when I had my wheels rotated and balanced. I though maybe the tires because I had the nirtogen put in them on that visit as well but was told that would only reduce noise as vibrations move slower through the nitro. Ill take her in to get the bearings checked thanks for the post.

Sean

I also have this problem it started when I had my wheels rotated and balanced. I though maybe the tires because I had the nirtogen put in them on that visit as well but was told that would only reduce noise as vibrations move slower through the nitro. Ill take her in to get the bearings checked thanks for the post.

Sean

HI Sean. :D Yes, bringing your car in for diagnosis and service is the best course of action.

However, I would also make another recommendation: Do not ever ask the person who gave you that "nitrogen information" another question again. He/she can not be trusted to give truthful information. :banghead:

While the nitrogen fill would definitely not be the cause of a noise or vibration problem, noise and vibrations move no slower through nitrogen filled tires than they do compressed air filled tires.

The sole benefits of nitrogen are that it is less affected by temperature variation, so your tire pressure will remain steady during temperature fluctuations due to ambient air temps and driving temps. Also, since nitrogen molecules are larger than compressed air molecules, there is less ancillary leakage, so your tires will keep their correct pressure longer.

If that individual feeds you that type of BS once, they will do it again. So be careful about dealing with him/her.

Edited by bbf2530

2008 Limited AWD.

hey, I've just had the same noise on my 07 awd edge. it turned out to be my tires from a bad aligment. I had driven my car for some time with an aligment problem and it cupped my tires, my problem was easy to find out as I had already changed the two front tires. noise seemed to be coming from rear, when dealer rotated them to front noise transfered.

hope this is helpful.

• 3 months later...
Having the same issue in my 08 SEL AWD, began suddenly at 16k miles. Low pitch hum begins at about 40mph and becomes quite loud and annoying at highway speeds. Have a service appt scheduled for next week.

I had the same issue with my 08 SEL AWD (only 10k miles). The dealership replaced the left rear knuckle and hub assembly. I hope your service appt. goes/went well.