Select Shift

Was just in the dealership looking at the 2010 Fusion and the Sport model with the same 3.5 and six speed as our edge, has a "select shift" shifter.

Has an option to manually shift

Is this something that could be done to our Edge's with software update, shifter and some wiring?

Could be a great mod

I know there are some people on this site that really wanted more ontrol over there transmission

Any thoughts?

Was just in the dealership looking at the 2010 Fusion and the Sport model with the same 3.5 and six speed as our edge, has a "select shift" shifter.

Is this something that could be done to our Edge's with software update, shifter and some wiring?

Could be a great mod

I know there are some people on this site that really wanted more ontrol over there transmission

Any thoughts?

Hi crew chief. :D Short answer: No it is not "something that could be done to our Edge's with software update, shifter and some wiring".

Longer answer: As the old saying goes, anything is possible if you throw enough money and time at it. However, it would essentially take an entire switch out/reprogramming of transmissions, the transmission and engine control modules etc etc.

It would cost less money to simply sell your Edge and buy a new one.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Could be a great mod

Any thoughts?

Very interesting :play: our X3 had it and we used it a LOT in the mountains.

Wait 6 months or so then check your local salvage yard.

Should be a direct bolt in.

BUT then you'll have to deal with the software, always a problem, at the very least a visit to a dealer.

BUT IF it really is the same transmission I would think that the input to transmission will be the same, might not be any software involved.

Anybody have the elect diagram for the transmission?

ab

The wiring for the shifter is not there and even if it was, there is no compatible PCM software version for the 06-09 models.

You CAN potentially add this to a 2010 model that didn't come with it by swapping out the shifter and getting a PCM reflash. This was possible on the Lincoln LS which was the first to offer SelectShift back in 1999. But it depends on whether the wiring is there in the non selectshift models.

we had a rented malibu that had the manual shift option. i used to on the way home from picking it up and decided it wasn't anything i cared to have. it upshifted toooooooo slow. down shift was quick and it would hold til redline :biggrin:

It's really only useful for holding a particular gear (higher or lower). Makes it more fun if you're in the twisties or lets you prevent downshifts for better fuel economy. It is not a replacement for a manual.