DashMat Brand Dash Cover

okay... I have always wondered about the purpose of dashmats? why exactly would you buy one?

U' know, it's a carry over from days when dashboards were covered with vinyl & windshields didn't offer UV protection. So if U didn't want U'r dash to crack, :angry: U used ArmorAll. U can imagine this made a dash with almost no shine really glare. So, enter the dash cover. Little glare & some heat & UV protection. Even now, they keep ole Sol from playing broiler to U'r dash. With apparently fragile painted surface of Edge dash, I'd say this is reason enuf. So we liked the benefits, got used to them & some keep using them.

A little history :boring: lesson - when we seniors (aka old farts) :hysterical: were young, all dash boards were painted steel. Then (late '50s) for safety, dashes were padded & covered w/vinyl. Wheels were 16-17" :yup: dia & designers fell all over themselves to make them smaller. "Hey cat, peep out those boss low profile 14 inchers!" And the only "custom" wheels were genuine magnesium (hence the term "mag") racing wheels which were almost unobtainium. If U worked at gas station for $1.00/hour, even if U could find a set, U probably couldn't afford them. About best U could hope for was hubcaps from another make car, with spinners (Olds, Buick) most desirable. NOW, what do we want? 19-22-26" wheels & tires that cost more than my first new car in '62.

PS: I expect bbf2530 to chime in here sometime because after :reading: his quite astute replies, I'm guessing he's approaching "old fart" :rockon: status. :beerchug:

Edited by dadrett

U' know, it's a carry over from days when dashboards were covered with vinyl & windshields didn't offer UV protection. So if U didn't want U'r dash to crack, U used ArmorAll. U can imagine this made a dash with almost no shine really glare. So, enter the dash cover. Little glare & some heat & UV protection. Even now, they keep ole Sol from playing broiler to U'r dash. With apparently fragile painted surface of Edge dash, I'd say this is reason enuf. So we liked the benefits, got used to them & some keep using them.

A little history :boring: lesson - when we seniors (aka old farts) were young, all dash boards were painted steel. Then (late '50s) for safety, dashes were padded & covered w/vinyl. Wheels were 16-17" :yup: dia & designers fell all over themselves to make them smaller. "Hey cat, peep out those boss low profile 14 inchers!" And the only "custom" wheels were genuine magnesium (hence the term "mag") racing wheels which were almost unobtainium. If U worked at gas station for $1.00/hour, even if U could find a set, U probably couldn't afford them. About best U could hope for was hubcaps from another make car, with spinners (Olds, Buick) most desirable. NOW, what do we want? 19-22-26" wheels & tires that cost more than my first new car in '62.

PS: I expect bbf2530 to chime in here sometime because after :reading: his quite astute replies, I'm guessing he's approaching "old fart" status.

Hi dadrett. :D The only correction I would even dream of making to your reply would be concerning wheel size. 15 inchers were pretty much top of the line.

You wouldn't even see a 17 inch wheel on a big Lincoln or Cadillac. 15 inch wheels with a 70 Series Tire for that "Luxury Ride"! :eek5:

A Corvette? A 15 inch wheel with a "Low Profile" 50 Series Tire. :hysterical: Now it's 22 inch wheels with 30 or 35 Series rubber bands! My how the times have changed. :blink:

And you hit the nail on the head with the Dash Mats/Dash Covers.

Thanks for the quick stroll down memory lane. :grouphug:

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi dadrett. :D The only correction I would even dream of making to your reply would be concerning wheel size. 15 inchers were pretty much top of the line.

You wouldn't even see a 17 inch wheel on a big Lincoln or Cadillac. 15 inch wheels with a 70 Series Tire for that "Luxury Ride"! :eek5:

A Corvette? A 15 inch wheel with a "Low Profile" 50 Series Tire. :hysterical: Now it's 22 inch wheels with 30 or 35 Series rubber bands! My how the times have changed. :blink:

And you hit the nail on the head with the Dash Mats/Dash Covers.

Thanks for the quick stroll down memory lane. :grouphug:

Good luck. :beerchug:

Greetings my friend, I knew I could count on U to keep me honest. Was able to confirm 16" wheel on Buicks & Fords in late 40s. U remember beauty rings. Was stretching use of 16s into 50s & sorta bearding the lion with 17s. Regarding Corvette, I had a '62 360 fueler w/15" wheels, but "series" tires came a couple years later. Sintered metallic brakes (shoes) were the hot set-up. Vettes finally got discs (4-wheel when most others were front only) in '65.

Man, I'll bet we could to a lot of :beerchug: & memory lane strolling. Bring the wives & maybe do some Chubby Checker "Strolling!"

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/nos/48parts.htm

This site has whitewalls up to 7.50 X 19: http://www.kanter.com///productdetail.aspx...=48&Prc=223

How about restoration parts? post-5957-1240240309_thumb.jpg

Edited by dadrett

U' know, it's a carry over from days when dashboards were covered with vinyl & windshields didn't offer UV protection. So if U didn't want U'r dash to crack, :angry: U used ArmorAll. U can imagine this made a dash with almost no shine really glare. So, enter the dash cover. Little glare & some heat & UV protection. Even now, they keep ole Sol from playing broiler to U'r dash. With apparently fragile painted surface of Edge dash, I'd say this is reason enuf. So we liked the benefits, got used to them & some keep using them.

glad you took my bait :)

so, you want to keep the dash nice looking so you cover it with a cover that never comes of so it is nice looking underneath... never to be seen.. :headscratch:

that has always seemed a rather bizarre product to me. a device to protect the dash so it looks good, but you can never see the dash since it is covered, so who cares what it looks like as you never unveil its beauty to the world :shrug: so what, do people with dash covers peak under the cover every now and then and be like, "ahhhh what beautiful dash" :)

this is the same theory I apply to "bras" for cars.

so, you want to keep the dash nice looking so you cover it with a cover that never comes of so it is nice looking underneath... never to be seen.. :headscratch:

this is the same theory I apply to "bras" for cars.

I guess it's an old fart thing. :D Back in the day, U bought car to keep awhile :yup: & U wanted it "like new" when U sold. If U had carpet that hadn't been stepped on, etc., U asked premium price. Car sold faster too. As U get nearer to geezerhood :poke: (& it can't be avoided), it'll start to make sense.

Edited by dadrett

I guess it's an old fart thing. :D Back in the day, U bought car to keep awhile :yup: & U wanted it "like new" when U sold. If U had carpet that hadn't been stepped on, etc., U asked premium price. Car sold faster too. As U get nearer to geezerhood :poke: it'll start to make sense.

I get what you're saying, dadrett. But it's sounding like you're more concerned with how the dash will look for the person who buys the car from you, rather that how it will look for you while you own it and drive it everyday. I guess you're right, it might be a geezer thing ;)

Dash mats also come particularly in handy if you are living in an area that approaches 4,649,047 degrees in summer. I have an old college roomate who lives in Tucson, and cracked a few dashes in summertime despite keeping the dash well protected with ArmorAll.

or how about just a window sun shade when the car is parked or sitting.. then, you get protection AND get to see the dash you are protecting :) not a funky 70's rug on your dash.. dice from the rearview anyone?

or how about just a window sun shade when the car is parked or sitting.. then, you get protection AND get to see the dash you are protecting :) not a funky 70's rug on your dash.. dice from the rearview anyone?

Gotcha covered, my friend. :yup: I use HeatShield by Canvas Works up here in Sunnyvale. Have used them in every car since '93 SuperCoupe. It had "DashMat" dash cover & "LeBra" front end cover. No mud flaps or antenna coon tail though. :hysterical2: Haven't had fuzzy dice since '71 ClubWagon.