Jump to content

16 edge sync 3 screen flicker dealer claims I need a new apim and I don't buy it.


rvcjew

Recommended Posts

I brought in my 16 edge for 2 recalls and asked them to take a look at my flickering screen without realizing they don't even repair the screen, only the full apim with screen so I'm on the hook for 275 no matter what like a dummy for inspection.

 

Every vehicle function works including all screen functions, the only issue is the screen it self. Touch also works flawlessly. I thought it could have been a corroded cable to the apim as well as it seems it was cold based sometimes but now is just flickering all the time.

 

They want 700 for the apim and 1690 in labor. 

 

Attached is what they sent me in an email after I asked for an email. Can I not use forscan to do this test and verify this my self? I don't have like Bluetooth dropouts or anything like that only screen flicker and I don't have the greatest vision so have the screen brightness even at night basically cranked so I assume I just wore out the screen from use.

 

 

Edit: I wanted to add incase it matters to what test they did and what happened. Over a decade ago when I got a new phone it would not do android auto with the car as the sync 3 software was to old and ford had no updates. So I used this app https://cyanlabs.net/applications/syn3updater/ at the time to go past what they had (I think I'm on 3.2 or 3.4? I don't have the car on hand) and as a bonus got all new updated maps etc. And it's been fine ever since other then when booting the car saying my usb hub is wrong which I just clear and don't have issues. I have the newer hub that also supports carplay to fix that warning just never got around to swapping it.

 

Could it be they failed to try programing it as they were trying to program the as built data VS the newer data I had updated to from a 2018 I think at the time? I also changed the codes to make my horn not honk while walking in front of the running car, show my heated seats on the sync 3 screen and let the cluster have ac controls like the truck with forscan (years before the sync update though). 

Apim.png

Edited by rvcjew
Added important info.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

You could look at the suggestions in the below thread, but it looks like you'll need a new APIM.

 

 

I saw that post before making mine but they had issues with the system like Bluetooth dropping, I have zero issues but the display it self, the touch layer even still functions without issue. I figured it was the backlight driver that's probably going.

 

Edit: I found the old log sync updater made and my current software is Sync 3.4.22110

Sync 3.4.22110
Edited by rvcjew
Added info.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So update, when the dealer did the self check on the apim it died completely apparently and never came back to life which wasn't mentioned in the report I attached but the manager called me after some back and forth emails on the price and time to fix etc and tldr they waived the diagnostic fee, I have the car back and it still needs one more recall (camera swap) but needs the apim functional to do it.

 

They have said if I can source my own apim they will put it in for $690. I want to verify I need this one?

 

G2GT-14G370-BM

 

I don't really care if it has nav or not as I use android auto, unless it means the GPS antenna doesn't work anymore?

 

I plan on putting it in my self at first and programming with forscan with my as built data to save the $690.

 

I see the module around with screen for $230-300.

 

This sound like a good plan?

 

Edit: I just realized my as built data would have version 3.0 not 3.4 of sync 3 correct? So I would then have to update it to 3.4 again to use my phone.

Edited by rvcjew
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Picking through the edit and added posts.

  • need v3.4 to use CarPlay/Android Auto?
    • no, you need 2.2 or higher, 3.0 for the early hardware is the highest it can go natively (without using alternate method to install), and it supports wired CarPlay/Android Auto
  • AsBuilt data is 3.4 not 3.0
    • not really related. AsBuilt is configuration, not software revision. I guess the selection for the boot screen slightly changes between 3.0 and 3.4.
  • didn't install updated media/usb hub
    • I would find that error prompt every start up annoying, and having the part and a small effort to replace? Are you really gonna tear into the center console and center stack to replace the APIM and screen?

I am not sure that side loading 3.4 onto the APIM would cause issues when the demand self test was ran by the dealer, I suspect it wouldn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, dabangsta said:

Picking through the edit and added posts.

  • need v3.4 to use CarPlay/Android Auto?
    • no, you need 2.2 or higher, 3.0 for the early hardware is the highest it can go natively (without using alternate method to install), and it supports wired CarPlay/Android Auto
  • AsBuilt data is 3.4 not 3.0
    • not really related. AsBuilt is configuration, not software revision. I guess the selection for the boot screen slightly changes between 3.0 and 3.4.
  • didn't install updated media/usb hub
    • I would find that error prompt every start up annoying, and having the part and a small effort to replace? Are you really gonna tear into the center console and center stack to replace the APIM and screen?

I am not sure that side loading 3.4 onto the APIM would cause issues when the demand self test was ran by the dealer, I suspect it wouldn't.

1. When I got the car new AA was not out yet for the car, later it OTA'd to 3.0 and I had AA. Then I eventually got a new phone and AA would not work with that phone and V3.0, I had read that it was the Sync version and new phones rejected what ford was doing for AA deployment (idk what truth there is to that but the fact is it immediately stopped working) So I used SYNCUpter to go to 3.4 and then my phone worked fine and has worked no matter the phone since, I just had the usb notice to clear each time Sync booted, that notice is only for carplay basically. I have the newer hub in hand that if you wanted carplay in general on 3.0 due to the apple license stuff you have to install regardless. I just never did it as I saw no need using only AA. I will put it in this time since I have it anyways.

 

2. Thank you for this clarification.

 

3. I looked around and found local used ones (apim and screen) but then I would have to dig out forscan and program the thing my self. I found china ones or oem refurb know knows but they are the right looking/# part match and will program it for me with my VIN and have 4GB ram vs 2GB (newer vehicle apim design?) for a smoother experience on 3.4, for $200 I figured I would give that a shot then search local if that doesn't pan out. I have the service manual for my VIN I got from ford when I bought the car and have no fear to take out the center to swap/install it. The china special is from a vendor on amazon so regardless its returnable/refundable which is more then I can say for some ebay deals I saw. I am still slightly concerned with the screen being bad but if the apim truly just croaked it self then at this point I need it regardless to even get the rear camera recall done as they need Sync functional to even swap that part they said. My flicker was not a normal symptom of a bad apim from what I can tell but if the apim was so bad it died then perhaps the screen is fine after all.

 

4. Is the apim what stores the configs for like walking around the running car and the horn honking etc? I think not as with a black screen my gauge cluster right info screen still has the climate screen I coded in and just says 0 as it can't see the apim currently. I assume this must be configs in another module?

 

Thank you for your advice so far.

 

EDIT: so I thought about what you said above and it made more sense to be to dive deeper and uh yeah I think I have a bad screen and this is what actually killed the apim. fords software did not like what it saw and reformatted it in a way it was no longer able to.

Screenshot 2026-10-03 092817.png

Edited by rvcjew
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...