Warped Rotors so soon?

I bought the Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors after warpong my autozone rotors in short order. The entire kit was $350-$400 for front and rear with pads. After the correct break-in process rhese rotors are shot after maybe 5 months being generous. Ive come to the co clusion that any rotor not over $100a pc ( over $200 for both sides) is made of cheap steel/iron and to buy cheap rotors is a waste of money. I say this because everytime I have over 50-60% pad left but the rotors are shot, even a namebrand but cheap drilled rotor like Powerstop. Im going to spend my money right and buy the Ultimax Rotors from EBC with either EBC Redstuff pads or Hawk HPS pads. Theyre much more expensive than even the Ford Motorcraft rotors and OEM pads but I drive pretty hard/sporty so.

The OEM brake set-up seemed to last for a good while from the factory when I bought the vehicle but since first replacements without ford parts has been downhill. So I plan to install the new EBC set-up this coming week and will post wear results in a few months. So note to everyone, dont buy cheap rotors, drilled and slotted or not. Best bet is to buy Ford Motorcraft OEM rotors and pads or Drilled/ slotted rotors from a reputable company like EBC or Brembo with the rotors costing over 100$ a piece, unfortunately. Hope this helps cause the money I dumped on powerstop rotors a few months ago was a waste of $400 all the way around. And BTw, 2011 Ford Edge Limited eith 20" wheels iss my vehicle.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Power Stop, jwallace. I am medium to hard on my brakes as well, not because I have to be, but because I like their feel & have confidence in their ability. Haven't needed "warming up" time yet, but we will see with winter approaching.

BUT I agree with you, can't argue with quality like EBC or Brembo in the long run. Ceramics are pretty hard on rotors, and the Z16 pads are ceramic. If you are OK with dusty, and want to save your rotors, go with non-ceramic (my preferred). EBC rotors with the Yellowstuff pads will probably work very well. Not sure how long the Redstuff will last.

Generally speaking, caliper slide pins should be serviced whenever brakes are replaced to keep braking even and strong. Along with a brake system flush every 30,000 miles or so.

I bought the Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors after warpong my autozone rotors in short order. The entire kit was $350-$400 for front and rear with pads. After the correct break-in process rhese rotors are shot after maybe 5 months being generous. Ive come to the co clusion that any rotor not over $100a pc ( over $200 for both sides) is made of cheap steel/iron and to buy cheap rotors is a waste of money. I say this because everytime I have over 50-60% pad left but the rotors are shot, even a namebrand but cheap drilled rotor like Powerstop. Im going to spend my money right and buy the Ultimax Rotors from EBC with either EBC Redstuff pads or Hawk HPS pads. Theyre much more expensive than even the Ford Motorcraft rotors and OEM pads but I drive pretty hard/sporty so.

The OEM brake set-up seemed to last for a good while from the factory when I bought the vehicle but since first replacements without ford parts has been downhill. So I plan to install the new EBC set-up this coming week and will post wear results in a few months. So note to everyone, dont buy cheap rotors, drilled and slotted or not. Best bet is to buy Ford Motorcraft OEM rotors and pads or Drilled/ slotted rotors from a reputable company like EBC or Brembo with the rotors costing over 100$ a piece, unfortunately. Hope this helps cause the money I dumped on powerstop rotors a few months ago was a waste of $400 all the way around. And BTw, 2011 Ford Edge Limited eith 20" wheels iss my vehicle.

I would love to see some photos of the finished assembly once you have the EBC products installed. I wanted that EBC Redstuff combo. I am hoping to not run into the warping issues you have had with PowerStop, but I am being the guinea pig for the R1 Concepts setup. Like I said before I will post updates of the wear progress. This didn't look too bad cost wise. http://thmotorsports.com/i-442211.aspx?itemid=442211&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=4422112011FORDEDGE&utm_campaign=GoogleShoppingSeanVehSpec&adtype=pla&kw=&gclid=CMODl7SJ_cACFehDMgod3WQA8A , but only see to have them for the rear.

Do you have any experience with talking to companies for a discounted rate on group buys, especially from forum members like this here? Curious to know how that works... and ill post pics after installation.

I know a couple of guys who do have such experience and contacts, including with TCE if so interested. Basically we'd have to have a certain number of people commit to a price, maybe put down a deposit as a confirmation of interest, then the group buy would be valid. Normally, there is only 1 tier of discounting, but depending on how many sign up, the discount could get deeper.

I would really like to see this level of owner interest in the Edge/MKX platform. We really have so few choices in the aftermarket, considering how many Edges/MKXs have been sold over the years.