Liftgate "ding, ding ding"

BlazedUp

It is beeping again at full open !!!! I turned the liftgate "off" via dashboard gauge menu, and it still worked just as if it was set to "on" !! I thought off meant off. I turned it off and hit the button on the dash and it opened, and dinged upon full open ! Now I'm really pissed. Oh, and my easy exit is not working.......again. Suminabitch ! BBF, you do not even own an Edge, and as they are very similar, there are slight differences that may make your "information" incorrect. I have learned far more by Lex's contributions than your "cut and paste" manual on a MKZ.

Hi BU. First: My sister and next door neighbor both own Edges. I assisted them in their purchase on the A and X-Plan and I do much of their routine maintenance in my spare time, just to help them out. Part of that assistance sometimes includes reading the Owners Manual.

Second of all, when I do "copy and paste" information, it is from the Edge Owners Manual, not an MKZ Owners Manual. For your information, just as a start, MKZ's do not have power liftgates (or any sort of liftgate, it is a 4 door sedan). You are thinking of the MKX, and the liftgates for the Edge and MKX work exactly the same. But as I just pointed out, that is irrelevant anyway. And contrary to what some people here seem to believe, there is nothing wrong with reading the Owners Manual.

Last I checked, we are all here to help each other. Did not know that there was a scorekeeper. Even if there is remember that your personal score is solely yours. We all help people in our fields of expertise. And again, I treat everyone with respect until they treat me rudely.

This is not my first problem with Lex. I have assisted him in the past and never asked for his assistance for anything in return. In fact, I had him PM'ing me constantly at one point for all sorts of X-Plan purchasing information. I never failed to politely answer all of his inquiries (sometimes the same inquiries, over and over). But as in the past, this was the usual thanks. Eventually a person gets tired of it.

Since you are not familiar with the entire situation, I have answered you politely. And even though you felt the need (for some reason) to unnecessarily join in an attack, I would still assist you politely in the future if I can (so far).

EDIT PS - And by the way, something that almost got lost in all of the histrionics about the "reset procedure": If you carefully read that cut and paste from the Edge Owners Manual that some of you hate so much, you will see that the answer to your problem may still be described in there.

Edited by bbf2530

Here is something for you all to try. I haven't had a vehicle come in with this complaint yet so I don't know if it will work. This is a copy from the workshop manual as per the symptom chart for this concern.

Power Liftgate Initialization Printable View (79 KB)

NOTE: The power liftgate may not operate correctly under the following conditions:

A low voltage or dead battery

A disconnected battery

Repairs/adjustments have been made to the power liftgate rod, power liftgate motor, liftgate hinges or liftgate striker

If any of these conditions has occurred, the power liftgate must be reinitialized.

NOTE: Battery power must be removed from the Liftgate/Trunk Module (LTM) for 20 seconds before the LTM will enter the initialization mode.

Disconnect the battery or remove the LTM fuse(s).

Wait 20 seconds and reconnect the battery or reinstall the LTM fuse(s).

Manually close and fully latch the power liftgate.

NOTE: Make sure the power liftgate system is turned ON in the message center before performing this step.

NOTE: If the power liftgate does not open during this step, refer to the Symptom Chart to diagnose the power liftgate for no operation.

Power open the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.

Once the power liftgate is fully open, close the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.

bbf, I know you are trying to help, but it sounds like lex was heading in the right dirrection. Hope this helps.

bbf, I know you are trying to help, but it sounds like lex was heading in the right dirrection. Hope this helps.

Hi druck. :D I respect your opinion and you may very well be correct. If he would simply show a bit of gratitude once in a while, or at least skip the complaint-fests when provided information that is meant to help, things would be fine.

But unfortunately, just as you have been severely disrespected by a few wayward members who like to insult Techs in the past (remember when we PM'd each other?), Lex has had a habit of demonstrating unnecessary ingratitude to me (at this point I will only speak for myself, not others). I have never needed or asked for his assistance, but he has taken advantage of mine in some instances.

Notice druck, that I have been very polite in speaking to you, and in describing my gripe with him. But in the past in circumstances such as this, I usually get attacked for my effort.

As I said druck, maybe he was on the correct path. However, it is his method that is rude and sometimes intolerable. And as you got tired when needlessly attacked in the past, I have reached that point also.

You are a helpful forum member, and I respect you for it.

And I hope your information helps too. That is all I was trying to do in the first place.

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - And druck, I will ask you since you are a Tech: The passage in the Owners Manual stating that "If the power liftgate is opening, the system will stop and a chime will sound 3 times when an obstacle is detected. Once the obstacle is removed, the liftgate can again be operated normally" would lead me to believe that could be another possible cause. If something is blocking the gate from fully opening (a bent lift arm perhaps), the chime will sound three times. Or possibly if a sensor is giving a false reading, the same symptoms would occur. Just Internet diagnosing, what are your thoughts?

Edited by bbf2530

It is beeping again at full open !!!! I turned the liftgate "off" via dashboard gauge menu, and it still worked just as if it was set to "on" !! I thought off meant off. I turned it off and hit the button on the dash and it opened, and dinged upon full open ! Now I'm really pissed. Oh, and my easy exit is not working.......again. Suminabitch ! BBF, you do not even own an Edge, and as they are very similar, there are slight differences that may make your "information" incorrect. I have learned far more by Lex's contributions than your "cut and paste" manual on a MKZ.

okay.. so the "pulling the fuse" reset method from yesterday got it so it stopped chiming when fully opened? Agreed?

But then, you further tested the system by disabling the gate open option via the dash menu? SO now it is (1) back to chiming at full open and (2) opens despite being disabled? odd...

I would naturally try the "pulling the fuse reset method" once again, see if it goes back to working like it did before (no chime at fully open) and if it does, I would try one more time to disable it via the dash and see if, once again, it reverts to the odd behavior of back to chiming and still opening even if disabled. This way, you can start to get a sense of a pattern that causes it as the pattern that triggers the issue is important to try to figure out if there is something deeper in your case.

I just tested mine. Same status quo result as yesterday.. the "pull the fuse reset" I did yesterday which had stopped the chime in the fully open position is still working. So, I just disabled the lift gate on the dash like you did to see what would happen and (1) my lift gate does not open and (2) when I turned it back on, the chimes still do not happen at the fully open gate as we had hope.

Hi druck. :D I respect your opinion and you may very well be correct. If he would simply show a bit of gratitude once in a while, or at least skip the complaint-fests when provided information that is meant to help, things would be fine.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that he may be on the right track. Also I was not trying to disrespect you in any way.

But unfortunately, just as you have been severely disrespected by a few wayward members who like to insult Techs in the past (remember when we PM'd each other?), Lex has had a habit of demonstrating unnecessary ingratitude to me (at this point I will only speak for myself, not others). I have never needed or asked for his assistance, but he has taken advantage of mine in some instances.

Notice druck, that I have been very polite in speaking to you, and in describing my gripe with him. But in the past in circumstances such as this, I usually get attacked for my effort.

I know you don't always get along. I think you both try to help people out, you just go about it in different ways. I do think he could have approached the situation in a different way.

As I said druck, maybe he was on the correct path. However, it is his method that is rude and sometimes intolerable. And as you got tired when needlessly attacked in the past, I have reached that point also.

You are a helpful forum member, and I respect you for it.

And I hope your information helps too. That is all I was trying to do in the first place.

I hope it helps as well, but it seems from lex's last post that he did not follow my directions at all. And those are straight from the shop manual. Oh well. I tried.

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - And druck, I will ask you since you are a Tech: The passage in the Owners Manual stating that "If the power liftgate is opening, the system will stop and a chime will sound 3 times when an obstacle is detected. Once the obstacle is removed, the liftgate can again be operated normally" would lead me to believe that could be another possible cause. If something is blocking the gate from fully opening (a bent lift arm perhaps), the chime will sound three times. Or possibly if a sensor is giving a false reading, the same symptoms would occur. Just Internet diagnosing, what are your thoughts?

You could very well be right, but with out looking at the vehicle in question, that would just be a guess.

Edited by druck52

but it seems from lex's last post that he did not follow my directions at all. And those are straight from the shop manual. Oh well. I tried.

Hey Druck.. say, I did not respond to your actual manual steps - or try them - since my posted fix worked for me and that came before your post on the shop manual steps. You then posted your shop manual steps, which are, just so happens, similar to what I happened to do out of logical next step in trouble shooting, so I never went on to try yours as I was good to go so saw no reason to try those as well since I got mine back on track. So it was not me disregarding your posted steps as you might think (?), I just had no reason to try them - nor comment on them then - since I go mine working before your post, and they were virtually identical steps. Make sense?

Maybe you meant BalzedUp did not follow your shop directions since he is still having issues?

Hey Druck.. say, I did not respond to your actual manual steps - or try them - since my posted fix worked for me and that came before your post on the shop manual steps. You then posted your shop manual steps, which are, just so happens, similar to what I happened to do out of logical next step in trouble shooting, so I never went on to try yours as I was good to go so saw no reason to try those as well since I got mine back on track. So it was not me disregarding your posted steps as you might think (?), I just had no reason to try them - nor comment on them then - since I go mine working before your post, and they were virtually identical steps. Make sense?

Maybe you meant BalzedUp did not follow your shop directions since he is still having issues?

I was responding to you. I guess I missread, but I thought you had said that the problem had returned. If it is fixed, that is what matters at this point.

I was the one who had the problem return. I cannot turn off the power liftgate because that doesnt work. Also, while I hit the close button from the trunk, got back in the car and proceeded to drive away, it opened by itself ! I almost lost a case of beer on RT. 202 !

I just found out that when I turn the power liftgate "off" It can be opened and close via fob. It will open and close by dash button. However, it will not open by using the button under liftgate handle. Is this SOP ? I thought off meant off. When I push the button under the handle, it will unlatch so it can manually be lifted. All other means of opening and closing work with power.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been down this road. Our 2008 Limited started doing the "ding ding ding" when reaching full open on the lift gate during this past winter. Basically what was happening, as I saw it, was that the actuator for the lift gate was trying to drive the lift gate past it's stop. It would actually make the lift gate bounce when it hit the top, and, thinking it hit an obstruction would go "ding ding ding". I can tell you from experience that sometimes it would not only ding 3 times, but sometimes would try to close again after it thought it hit an obstruction - with me still reaching inside. I could see the newspaper article... "Man Eaten by Edge"...

Anyways, took it to the dealer. Was definitely worse over the winter. They thought it was weak struts, so they replaced the struts. Still did it. So they ordered updated struts - still did it. I told them again what seemed to be happening was that the actuator wasn't stopping where it should, and no amount of struts is going to fix that.

Since the only thing left was the actuator, they replaced it. Bingo, now works as good as the day we bought our Edge. When I watch the new actuator, it stops about an inch before the lift gate reaches the top, and then lets the struts carry it the rest of the way, versus the old actuator, which tried to drive the lift gate right off it's hinges.

-S

Edited by SteveW

• 6 months later...