Really Bad Smell

jwalker

I have a 2008 Edge SEL AWD that has developed a really bad smell inside the vehicle. It doesn't smell outside the car and it doesn't

do it all the time. It has been described as a mixture of propane, sulphur and garbage by another Edge owner on this Forum over a year

ago and he didn't get any replies.

I have taken it in to the dealer three times so far and they haven't been able to track it down. If it was an exhaust leak it would probably make a spitting or hissing noise you could hear outside the vehicle also you could probably smell it on the outside. The techs have driven it around and have not been able to smell anything and I have driven one of them around and they still couldn't smell anything.

If this smell is familiar to anyone or you know anyone who has had this problem I would appreciate any info I can get about it.

I am new to this forum as a member but I have visited before and have found it very informative.

The wipers? Sorry, unless you have 1,000 sf wiper there is no way that that amount of mold could stink up a car and a garage.

This may be too simple an answer, but if someone thinks their car is making their garage stink, they are backwards. Landscape waste dog poopy and trash stored in it until pickup day that is what makes the car stink. Or something else decaying in there.

The wipers? Sorry, unless you have 1,000 sf wiper there is no way that that amount of mold could stink up a car and a garage.

This may be too simple an answer, but if someone thinks their car is making their garage stink, they are backwards. Landscape waste dog poopy and trash stored in it until pickup day that is what makes the car stink. Or something else decaying in there.

It was the wipers! I understand your doubt! I would never have believed it unless I had smelled it.The dealer cleaned the car. I disassembled my hvac and bleached it.Nothing worked. I had the wipers off to bleach them and the odor was gone! You could smell them even though double wrapped in a trash bag. And with the car outside the garage did not stink. overnight with the car inside resulted in a strong mold bloom. The store had a leaky roof! Easy enough to test. Take the wipers off!

Wow, that is wild. Were they Ford wipers or another kind? I change mine no less than twice a year so mine would never get the chance to mold likely.

So how would the smell get in the car? Just curious. Or was it a windows open smell?

I forget the brand, but it was a well known brand. The wipers are in front of the intake. In the morning the garage and car would smell. It would lessen on the way to work. The car is outside at work. After a day in the sun, the odor became nauseating as the car was driven. It was necessary to lower the windows. There was comsiderable flooding here early last summer. That or the chronic roof leak at the store may have been the cause. Store was a Fleet/Farm. I bought a set of blades for my son's car on the same day. They smelled too, but not as badly. He always parks outside. They went into the trash! I agree, strange and surprising.