Oil Pressure

Platinum White

Has any one figured out a way to determine what the oil pressure is on these 3.5 L 24 valve DOHC engines as there is nothing except an Idiot light that may come on IF the pressure is low??

What is the "normal" range?

Is it Fords assumption that vehicle owners are not intelligent enough to understand anything except a CEL or oil pressure light?

Edited by Platinum White

on a modern computer controlled engine like this, not sure why you would even want to know? to make the point, I put an inline fuel pressure gauge in my 1974 FJ40 becuase there was no such gauge and on an all mechanical engine that old with certain performance mods, knowing matters for some of the carb calibrations. But, on a modern car, not sure why you would want to know the exact oil pressure number since there is a computer that monitors it all?

but anyway, maybe best you could do is find an inline oil pressure gauge and splice it in?

I am sure someone can dig up the specs of what the pressure is running it.

Is it Fords assumption that vehicle owners are not intelligent enough to understand anything except a CEL or oil pressure light?

Yes - proven by years of warranty visits. Apparently many people complained about fluctuations in a normal oil pressure gauge so Ford started using a gauge that was really just an analog idiot light - it only showed normal pressure or no pressure depending on a preset threshold. So even though you thought your Ford had an oil pressure gauge it did not. It's been that way for at least 10 years - maybe more.

I would prefer both, a REAL gauge and an idiot light.

That way when I’m reading my paper, texting or talking on the phone :wacko: and run off the road hit a piece of scrap metal on the shoulder punching a hole in my radiator the light will come on, then I will look at the gauge :headscratch: and drive another 10 miles to the next station.

ab