Hood Struts

Sorry if this has been posted but I searched for a thread on it and couldn't seem to find one. does anybdy know if there is an aftermarket hood strut kit available for the Edge? I have an "08"

Thanks in advance.

Mitch

I have seen them on e-bay for approx $90 for the kit.

yep, I sure did.. read here not sure how you missed it :)

Neither am I. I typed hood struts in about 100 different ways and it never came up. And I actually clicked on your SoCal link to look at your mods and if that one was there I missed it.

Anyways thanks, I will be looking into a pair of those. As someone else mentioned, the Edge hood has some serious weight to it. I am pretty sure it weighs way more than my Suburban hood.

Thanks for the links.

Way back I had a Camaro with that kind of lift for the back glass. They always failed when it was cold, would not work for some reason. Would these do the same? I would leave the stick in place just incase.

In the vehicles that I have owned with these type of struts that has not been a problem. Newer models I guess.

What part of the Midwest were you in?

How much actual drilling goes into putting these in? Are they by chance putting these in the newer Edge models or still using the stick?

I would not even think twice about the cold being an issue. not even. I had struts like this - air/oil - in my Acura for 10 years in the midwest - can you say COLD - holding up my boot and they never failed. these are more advanced, seem higher quality and hold even less weight.

I am on another Ford forum for Explorers/Mountaineers and a number of folks on the forum wanted these struts from Redline. Redline needed a veh. to fit them to and since I an only 2 hrs. away and it ment free struts I gladly volunteered.

The guys at Redline are real car guys and both are Ford drivers & enthusiasts. They measured and tried a few of their many struts to find the correct one that would open the hood and hold it in the correct position. Then the pics for the installation directions.

Four holes per side to drill and simple pop rivets to hold the brackets in place.

Being in the MI cold weather does not seem to be a problem.

I definitely would recommend Redline and have just ordered a set for my MKX.

Had trouble uploading the pics so here is a link. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showth...ght=hood+struts

Edited by kempie

What part of the Midwest were you in?

How much actual drilling goes into putting these in? Are they by chance putting these in the newer Edge models or still using the stick?

Iowa

Well, we know 2007-2009 has the hood stick.

drilling is not much, but is like 8 holes I recall, 2 per each base and 4 bases. it only takes time since you want to go slow on the drilling :)