Distance to Empty Reset on 2008 SEL ?

rryan109

I fueled my 2008 SEL and my wife turned on the key to see the gas gauge moving. It didn't (as I told her many times!!!). Now when I start the car, my Low Fuel warning chime goes off and my Distance to empty is stuck at 29. The gas gauge shows a 1/4 tank (accurate). How can I reset the message center?

:banghead:

I fueled my 2008 SEL and my wife turned on the key to see the gas gauge moving. It didn't (as I told her many times!!!). Now when I start the car, my Low Fuel warning chime goes off and my Distance to empty is stuck at 29. The gas gauge shows a 1/4 tank (accurate). How can I reset the message center?

:banghead:

EDIT - Hi rryan, I was typing my reply below at the same time Lex was answering above, so had not yet seen his reply before posting mine. I formulated my reply with the assumption you had already tried the reset button. If not, try the reset button. If that does not work, try my suggestions.

Hi rryan. :D There is no built-in way to reset the "Distance to Empty" readout.

It should have automatically reset once the ignition was turned to the off position then turned to the on position or the car restarted. I know this is a silly question, but did you try that? If you already tried that, how long ago did this happen, and approximately how many times have you restarted the car since the original problem surfaced?

This would be my recommendations, in order of preference: Fill the tank. Then drive the car for another day or two and see if several restarts and driving cycles reset the readout. If it does not I would make an appointment for service to have the problem corrected.

If you are out of Warranty or are the type of individual who likes to avoid going to the Dealer at all costs, you can try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes, then reconnecting the battery. This will reset certain Engine Management Parameters. If the drive cycles and/or battery disconnect do not work, then you have no choice but to schedule a Dealer Service visit.

Before disconnecting the battery: If you choose to try disconnecting the battery, first read the section in your Owners Manual about disconnecting or replacing your battery. There is a specific procedure that needs to be followed after disconnecting the battery so that your vehicle can relearn the correct Idle Trim and other engine parameters. If you do not follow this procedure, your car will not run correctly until the Idle Trim is relearned on its own, which will take longer.

However, as mentioned above, first fill the tank and give it a day or two and several restarts/drive cycles to see if the problem corrects itself.

Let us know the outcome.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530