Coolant Change/Flush time

klc317

Found a local place to recycle it so....

Since the MKX is an '07 and it is a simple job it's time to do a coolant change/flush. Way under mileage I know (33,000) but I prefer to change it out every couple years or so and don't want to pay the dealer to do it and be without our vehicle for 3 days for a simple job (see my wheel bearing thread...grrr). To me it's one of those things that are like 100,000 mile spark plug changes...lifetime coolant? Yeah, right! My questions are:

1: What is the cheapest place to get the real Ford Motorcraft Orange Coolant? Obviously not the dealer. Online retailers would be fine but I would think there would be a hazardous materials shipping premium. Wonder if Napa or somebody like that could get it for me? I want to stick with the Motorcraft orange coolant, not the "works with any color" universal antifreeze from the parts store.

2: Does anyone suggest using a flush (i.e. Prestone) or just flush it with clean water? We have a 50 gallon plastic barrel in a garage closet of reverse osmosis/deionized filtered water running off a filter that we use for our saltwater/reef aquarium so I can easily use that for flushing and filling. Beats buying jugs of distilled water and is even more pure.

3: I don't think they would go for it but I wonder what the "special" additive Ford is adding due to the heater core corrosion issue? I wonder if I could get some of that to throw in with the fresh coolant?

Edited by klc317

Found a local place to recycle it so....

Since the MKX is an '07 and it is a simple job it's time to do a coolant change/flush. Way under mileage I know (33,000) but I prefer to change it out every couple years or so and don't want to pay the dealer to do it and be without our vehicle for 3 days for a simple job (see my wheel bearing thread...grrr). To me it's one of those things that are like 100,000 mile spark plug changes...lifetime coolant? Yeah, right! My questions are:

1: What is the cheapest place to get the real Ford Motorcraft Orange Coolant? Obviously not the dealer. Online retailers would be fine but I would think there would be a hazardous materials shipping premium. Wonder if Napa or somebody like that could get it for me? I want to stick with the Motorcraft orange coolant, not the "works with any color" universal antifreeze from the parts store.

2: Does anyone suggest using a flush (i.e. Prestone) or just flush it with clean water? We have a 50 gallon plastic barrel in a garage closet of reverse osmosis/deionized filtered water running off a filter that we use for our saltwater/reef aquarium so I can easily use that for flushing and filling. Beats buying jugs of distilled water and is even more pure.

3: I don't think they would go for it but I wonder what the "special" additive Ford is adding due to the heater core corrosion issue? I wonder if I could get some of that to throw in with the fresh coolant?

The edge/mkx does not come with orange coolant, it comes with gold coolant. They are not adding a special additive. they are using a special flush chemical and refilling the system with green coolant.

Edited by druck52

• 2 weeks later...
The edge/mkx does not come with orange coolant, it comes with gold coolant. They are not adding a special additive. they are using a special flush chemical and refilling the system with green coolant.

Do you mean that Ford is using Ethylene Glycol (green stuff)? I heard that this stuff is not too friendly with aluminum and some gaskets.

It is my understanding that Ford uses Zerex G-05 anti-freeze. Chrysler uses the same. It is less corrosive to aluminum than standard green anti-freeze. I used G-05 in my 03 Dodge truck (with 531k miles) until I sold it last June with no cooling system problems whatsoever. It only cost about $1 more per gallon than Prestone at NAPA.

If anyone has more info on the heater core corrosion issue and if it suggests changing types of anti-freeze, I would sure like to learn more.

• 3 months later...

so what is this special flush tool? Since when do you need a special tool to flush the cooling system?

They are referring to an issue with the heater core clogging that Ford has developed fix for. It involves a flush of just the heater core with a chemical strong enough to dissolve the clog. Check out some of the threads on the subject. They are not referring to a normal coolant change.

They are referring to an issue with the heater core clogging that Ford has developed fix for. It involves a flush of just the heater core with a chemical strong enough to dissolve the clog. Check out some of the threads on the subject. They are not referring to a normal coolant change.

Ya, I had read some about it. I was just wondering why they have to wait on a special tool to do it. Is it the special chemical they are waiting on? My girlfriend just got a 2007 so the coolant is probably 2 years old. I may replace it, flush out the system (including the heater core) and put in new coolant.