%$$**! dealer service dept and their torque wrenches!!!

klc317

Decided today was a good day to do the first home oil change in the MKX and switch it over to full synthetic. The last oil change was performed by the dealer when we bought the vehicle in September. Crawled underneath and the oil drain plug was slightly rounded off but I can usually still get them loose. Wrong....somebody had torqued the plug on so tight I could kill somebody! It was rounded off to the point I couldn't get a grip on it with a socket or box end wrench anymore before I even got started. Took myself, monumental feats of strength while laying on my back, lots of cussing, a completely rounded off head, and finally a long pipe wrench to finally break it loose. I'm no weakling by any means but it took just about all I had to fight that bolt. Why in the world they would torque that drain plug on so tight that it rounded the head off is beyond me. I'm lucky I finally got it loose on that last try because the head of the drain plug was becoming so mangled I was running out of ideas of how to get a grip on it. I guess I'm lucky the threads are still intact on the oil pan after that. Needless to say that is the last time I will ever let that dealer do any maintainence on any of my vehicles. Now I'm off to battle the oil filter, then off to the parts store for a new drain plug...wish me luck! Had to stop and have an early afternoon beer after that mess!

Edited by klc317

The oil filter was a bit of a battle also. Took the strap wrench and some serious whacks with a rubber mallet to get that started loose. It was on so tight that the seal from the filter was still stuck on the engine/oil filter base. I'm positive they didn't properly lubricate the seal like you are supposed to when you put a new filter on. Unacceptable.

ANYWAY:

Everything is now properly installed with a new drain plug, properly "hand" tightened, a fresh Motorcraft oil filter, also properly tightened (a tad more than hand tight) and fresh Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic. What a battle!! At least I would have to deal with that anymore.

Edited by klc317

i've almost alway's changed my own oil. sometimes i'll get a coupon in the mail (years ago) and take it somewhere. once i took my new truck in to the dealer for a oil change ($10 bucks for the first year) and after an hour or 2 left with new filter and new oil. couple day's later i check the level and the level is WELL above the fill mark, and was DARK as could be. much darker than the 3000 mile oil they removed. i changed it myself a few day's later just to feel good, and never took it to them again.

Probably but either one applies way too much torque/twist for an oil pan drain plug and neither should be used. All it takes is a good snugging with a ratchet.

As already stated the torque wrench is adjustable to ft/lbs torque and would be used to properly install an oil pan plug to spec.

Using an impact gun to install an oil pan plug is pretty asinine.

As already stated the torque wrench is adjustable to ft/lbs torque and would be used to properly install an oil pan plug to spec.

Correct. I am perfectly capable of understanding what a torque wrench does as I was a machinist for 12 years and own lots of high end metal working, mechanic, and measuring tools including several expensive torque wrenches if that matters in this particular situation. But, my point was that whoever put the drain plug on at the dealer service department installed the bolt/drain plug way too tight and either ignored the rounded off condition of the bolt head or contributed to its degraded condition. A good snug with a regular old everyday ratchet on the drain plug is plenty to install it. In this case a socket was not even able to be placed over the drain plug head as it was so rounded/worn and at that point should have been replaced anyway.

Edited by klc317

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't matter if you use a torque wrench, impact gun or a 1/2" ratchet with a cheater bar..... it will only work as good as the operator that is using it...... sound like a real genius got ahold of it.

• 1 month later...