2 weeks old and the AWD quit

u0061914

I bought my wife a 2010 Edge SEL AWD for Christmas. In 2005, I swore off Fords due to quality issues with past Explorers and pickups. My wife really wanted an Edge, so I decided to give it a try. To date ( 2 weeks) I have been extrememely impressed by the features and driveability of this vehicle. This morning, we got a few inches of snow in MN, when I headed up the street ( hill), the car was spinning and the traction control was kicking in. That seemed odd, so I stopped and tried to get going again on a hill. Front wheels were spinning and the rears did nothing. Until this point, the AWD had worked flawlessly. In fact it was one of the best vehicles I have ever driven in the snow/ice. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow, but I thought I would throw it out here to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by u0061914

I bought my wife a 2010 Edge SEL AWD for Christmas. In 2005, I swore off Fords due to quality issues with past Explorers and pickups. My wife really wanted an Edge, so I decided to give it a try. To date ( 2 weeks) I have been extrememely impressed by the features and driveability of this vehicle. This morning, we got a few inches of snow in MN, when I headed up the street ( hill), the car was spinning and the traction control was kicking in. That seemed odd, so I stopped and tried to get going again on a hill. Front wheels were spinning and the rears did nothing. Until this point, the AWD had worked flawlessly. In fact it was one of the best vehicles I have ever driven in the snow/ice. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow, but I thought I would throw it out here to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about that. My EDGE works great in the snow here in South Dakota. Just had a 20 inch snowstorm over Christmas and a 6 inch snow yesterday. Sounds like your problem is rare. Perhaps it's just a sensor, or maybe a fuse.

Edited by wxman2003

Thanks in advance.

A PTO failure isn't out of the question.

A PTO failure isn't out of the question.

Not the fuse, I check that. If I turn off the traction control and accelerate, the rear wheels will engage, but there will be a very loud "bang" or sometimes the sound of grinding gears, when it tries to engage. I dropped it off this morning at the dealer, so I should know something later this morning.

Update: After not hearing from the dealer all day Friday, I called at about 3pm. The service manager told me the tech could not reproduce the issue. Figures! He said the tech was going to check to see if it logged a code, but had not done that yet. Hmm, you would think maybe they would have done that right away. You would also have though they would have called me to tell me they could not reproduce the issue. So I headed down there to show them that it was actually broke. By the time I got there, they found a code that said there was a fault in the circuit that controls the AWD ( can't remember the exxact term). So I told them to keep it until it is completely fixed. I suspect this will be challenging to fix. Maybe today.....

I bought my wife a 2010 Edge SEL AWD for Christmas. In 2005, I swore off Fords due to quality issues with past Explorers and pickups. My wife really wanted an Edge, so I decided to give it a try. To date ( 2 weeks) I have been extrememely impressed by the features and driveability of this vehicle. This morning, we got a few inches of snow in MN, when I headed up the street ( hill), the car was spinning and the traction control was kicking in. That seemed odd, so I stopped and tried to get going again on a hill. Front wheels were spinning and the rears did nothing.

Until this point, the AWD had worked flawlessly.

By what "measure"...? How would you know..??

In fact it was one of the best vehicles I have ever driven in the snow/ice. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow, but I thought I would throw it out here to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Thanks in advance.

The F/awd operation other that automatically coupling the rear drive into the traction "mix" upon any low speed acceleration if slippage develops TC activation is INSTANT, braking the front wheels, dethrottling the engine and at the same time increasing the rear drive coupling to 100%, 50/50F/R. Reactively, NOT pre-emptively.

Sounds SOP.

• Like 1

The F/awd operation other that automatically coupling the rear drive into the traction "mix" upon any low speed acceleration if slippage develops TC activation is INSTANT, braking the front wheels, dethrottling the engine and at the same time increasing the rear drive coupling to 100%, 50/50F/R. Reactively, NOT pre-emptively.

Sounds SOP.

One more time - in English?

If you're saying the AWD system is only reactive then once again you're wrong. The system measures speed, throttle position and steering angle and will pre-emptively engage the rear wheels in anticipation of slippage, thereby preventing slippage before it occurs.

problem found: The transfer case control module is faulty. Of course this is not a common part, so I'm looking at 2-3 days for the dealer to get the part.

OK, I guess I spoke way too soon. The part finally came intoday and it did NOT fix the problem. The tech is working with Ford, but they can't figure out what the issue is. I'm not real happy at this point, as you can imagine. $30K for a new car and it is in the shop for 1week of the initial 3 weeks! I'm thinking the return to Ford was a big mistake for me. :banghead:

OK, I guess I spoke way too soon. The part finally came intoday and it did NOT fix the problem. The tech is working with Ford, but they can't figure out what the issue is. I'm not real happy at this point, as you can imagine. $30K for a new car and it is in the shop for 1week of the initial 3 weeks! I'm thinking the return to Ford was a big mistake for me. :banghead:

They did give you a loaner car correct?

Edited by tpm419419

Many dealerships give you loaners THROUGH rental agencies.

They pick up the bill.

Yes, I'm well aware of this. They were very upfront that a "rental" would be on my dime. They would NOT pay for it.

Just had a good discussion with the head service guy. He is going to work on getting me a loaner and said he will cover the cost.

Another update:

The head service manager was able to get me a loaner. In fact a 2010 F150. The latest is a failed PTU ( CreamEDGE suggested this). That is ordered and should be in next Tuesday. Hoping that

The issue and it get's fixed. 2 weeks of down time in the 1st 4 weeks is not a very good start.

Thanks in advance.

You should have went with you intuition. I also said that I would never buy a Ford again after having a Tempo, Mustang, Explorer, Mazda. I was adamant that I would not consider a Ford again. However I decided to give them another try and bought an Edge. I have had the PTU Problem. I have had the Drive Shaft Problem. I have had the Heater Core Problem. And yes Ford has eventually fixed them all, but I cannot continue to live with the time, effort and anguish of getting these things fixed.

Ford your quality is suppose to built in and I cannot continue to support you!

I will never buy another Ford - new or used.

Gary

You should have went with you intuition. I also said that I would never buy a Ford again after having a Tempo, Mustang, Explorer, Mazda. I was adamant that I would not consider a Ford again. However I decided to give them another try and bought an Edge. I have had the PTU Problem. I have had the Drive Shaft Problem. I have had the Heater Core Problem. And yes Ford has eventually fixed them all, but I cannot continue to live with the time, effort and anguish of getting these things fixed.

Ford your quality is suppose to built in and I cannot continue to support you!

I will never buy another Ford - new or used.

Gary

I never had 1 problem with my F-150 trucks in my business. The Edge is great car and drive really nice, I do have occasionally PTU drip and that's being corrected on Thursday. I'm very impress with Ford how they handle problems. My brother in law had to replace the engine on his 2005 Camry with only 125k miles, which he had to pay from his packet. If you google any of the big auto makers you will find some people have problems even with luxury vehicles.

I never had 1 problem with my F-150 trucks in my business. The Edge is great car and drive really nice, I do have occasionally PTU drip and that's being corrected on Thursday. I'm very impress with Ford how they handle problems. My brother in law had to replace the engine on his 2005 Camry with only 125k miles, which he had to pay from his packet. If you google any of the big auto makers you will find some people have problems even with luxury vehicles.

Oh so very true.

A lot of cars have issues, not just Ford.

Coming from an Audi I know a lot of Audi guys have issues with their cars.

Especially the B5 a4/s4 models and the early B6 a4/s4 models.

I would never buy a Mercedes or Range Rover after hearing/reading issues

related with their cars/trucks time and time again.

Basically its luck of the draw. You might buy something that will last you forever with

just simple maintenance or you might buy a lemon.

I am curious to see if you used the self diagnostic test before you took it to the dealership? I have this on my 2010, but I am not sure if all Edge's have this.

With this Ford F/awd system, other than verifying, confirming, a proper level of current flow to the electromagnetic rear drive engagement clutch there's not much "self-check" that can be done.

Is there a way of knowing where these Edge's with these myriad of problems were manufactured ?

Maybe we should have a section of the forum dedicated to known Ford Edge issues, when & where they were manufactured, and, the kind of service that people have received to correct these issues ?

I agree 100%! My dad drives a 1966 Ford F-100 still running strong! He also has a 1990 Lincoln Towncar that runs great, my sister has a 2005 Escape with no problems (and she is a terrible driver), my brother had a 1995 Ranger that he put 200,000 miles on with minimal work needed, I have a 1985 Mustang 150,000 miles no problems, my 1995 Mustang has a 135,000 miles and the only problem I had with that is a blown headgasket....Ford makes great cars and trucks but no one is perfect...sometimes things just dont work perfectly.

Matthew

• Like 1

All manufacturers make lemons at times. Just like some humans have lemons for bodies. You get a bad one, you aren't happy about it. You get a good one, and will rave just how good it is. I have friends who had bad Hondas, Fords, Toyotas and so on and swear they will never buy another piece of their junk again.

Edited by wxman2003

They all do have problems to some degree. In the 90s and early 2000s, we had numerous Explorers, F150s and Superduties ( my wife worked for Ford Credit for 21 years). There were significant

quality issues back then. Bad engines, transmissions, you name it. I spent a ton of time in the service departments. In 2005, I got pissed off at our 2004 Explorer and bought a Nissan and a Mazda.

Since then, I had a bad sensor in the Xterra right away and that was it. 5 years and not a single trip to the service department! Of course, in the 1st month of ownership of this Edge, it will have been

in the shop for 2 of those weeks, assuming it is fixed this week. Not a great start for me. I'm really hoping that this was just a fluke and it will be good after this.

Keep in mind that I am not trying to bash Ford. I do have 3 other cars that are Fords. 1971 bronco, 1975 Bronco, 1967 Mustang :hyper:

OK, problem solved. I picked up the car yesterday and tested on some ice last nigh. It appears all is well.

What we believe happened is the transfer case control module failed. This caused it to default to FWD, but when the fronts would spin, it would engage harshly, to the point it was a REALLY loud bang.

They ended up finding a broken weld on a gear in the PTU. I'm assuming it may have been welded to a shaft? They replaced the PTU and that did it. Let's hope that is it for problems. Ended up in the shop for about 2 weeks out of the initial 4 weeks we owned it.