2011 Lincoln MKX

akirby

Very cool car.

Is looking quite nice, but im waiting for the Edge.

At the "old/actual" model i like the Lincoln more, but is hard to get here in Germany and Eddie is also quite nice.

At the 2011 model i like more the interieur of the Edge and would prefer it, when it is looking cool outside, too.

Greets

Marc

NOOOO :rant: They are still using those cheep "Chrome Clad" wheels :stop: At least for me that cheapens a perfectly good car. IMO either leave the wheels as polished aluminum alloy, put real chrome, or change the label to "plastic chrome clad" as is stated in the parts catalogue. :redcard: The 1st thing people judge a car on is wether they have quality products. None of the Imports offer this "feature" if it can even be called a feature. Also no tire shop will sell wheels with a plastic veneered wheels. Why does Ford and other domestic makers insists on offering these wheels is beyond me :banghead:

I am aware that some will say this is actually better than chrome wheels or that they are lighter than actual chrome wheels.... Not True. These wheels which come on our vehicle are 34 lbs. for the 20' version where as wheels from TireRack, Discount tire, NTB, etc... are around 31 - 32 lbs. So these wheels are not used to improve on gas, etc... Its like buying a Fake Rolex, Fake Leather Jacket, Fake Ipod, Fake designer Shades, Fake Leather [Vinyl] Seats, fake anything.... Why not offer the real deal :finger:

The Edge and MKX are great cars and do not need to be cheapened by these wheels. Feature such as veneered wheels will cause some to buy a Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc...

I am a bit bitter towards the wheels b/c When we purchased our Edge, we thought that the wheels were actual chrome and even asked how the chrome metal will handle the road salts. :redcard: Never were we told it is actually a plastic veneer. :finger: The answer we got was Ford puts a special protection over their chrome metal which will protect it from the road salts. Guess I should have pealed off the Protective covering which was over the wheels when performing the test drive to see if the wheels were actually metal chrome. :angry:

Hopefully our Domestic car manufacturers will step up and not give people an excuse to view our cars as cheep, fake, imitations, unreliable, etc.... These are quality cars with not so quality parts [i.e. the wheels]

Edited by k_m

Hopefully our Domestic car manufacturers will step up and not give people an excuse to view our cars as cheep, fake, imitations, unreliable, etc.... These are quality cars with not so quality parts [i.e. the wheels]

That's a pretty long rant without actually mentioning anything wrong with the plastic covers. They may be "immitations", but chrome wheels only exist for appearance, do you really think they don't look as good? Clearly the appearance was good enough to fool you on the test drive.

hmmm...who is interested in wheels? :sos:

when i like a car i dont mind that i will change in disliking cause of some wheels

or if it is a real chrome layer or not.

When i dont like the wheels i will give them to a well known big online auctioneer and purchase some other.

I was an Audi driver by myself and i didnt bought it cause of the wheels.

When that is all of faults that the 2011 MKX and Eddies will have than we should all be quite happy. :shades:

That's a pretty long rant without actually mentioning anything wrong with the plastic covers. They may be "immitations", but chrome wheels only exist for appearance, do you really think they don't look as good? Clearly the appearance was good enough to fool you on the test drive.

Actually I never say the wheels till I got home. At the dealer they were covered in a semi transparent film. I could see the color was chrome but not wether the wheels were plastic or not.

Whats wrong with the Plastic cover:

1) Cheap quality/poor design

2) Many state that they will start to discolor, flake off, etc... hence not durable

3) If there is a scratch or any damage to the plastic you cannot re-polish it out

4) If there is a crack or major damage you will have to replace the entire wheel along with the plastic veneer. Hence very expensive. You cannot fix or remanufacture to wheel to correct the bent wheel

5) Hear of the plastic making a clicking noise, etc.

As far as chrome existing for appearance, that is true, but the plastic cover does not look like real chrome. [they are very close but doesn't have a real metal look]

There are no benefits to having the plastic veneered wheels, b/c the core wheel [alum alloy is expensive]

At Marccom, I really like the Edge. I do not base a car solely on the wheels. I just prefer to deal with honest dealers and would like to get parts which are not imitations. We can say that Vinyl seats look like leather so if Ford changes the leather seats to Vinyl, but charges for the price of leather, more people will be upset.

However, I did not want to hijack this thread just wanted to make an observation and like you said rant. :banghead:

Edited by k_m

There were manufacturing defects in *some* wheels that caused the noise and flaking. I have the 18" version with no problems whatsoever. They look great and I couldn't care less whether they're real chrome or not.

Real chrome wheels can easily pit and cannot be easily fixed once that happens.

You may not like them but this is not a case of Ford "cheaping out". The manufacturing defects were unfortunate which made the perception even worse, but that wasn't even Ford's fault - they use an outside supplier.

Whats wrong with the Plastic cover:

1) Cheap quality/poor design

2) Many state that they will start to discolor, flake off, etc... hence not durable

3) If there is a scratch or any damage to the plastic you cannot re-polish it out

4) If there is a crack or major damage you will have to replace the entire wheel along with the plastic veneer. Hence very expensive. You cannot fix or remanufacture to wheel to correct the bent wheel

5) Hear of the plastic making a clicking noise, etc.

I know this probably isn't the right thread, but:

1. That's opinion, I consider it a clever engineering solution for a lower cost product

2. Not true, the warranty data on real chrome is much higher than the chrome-clad

3. I don't think you can re-polish real chrome either, if it's a big scratch, just replace the plastic, that's cheaper than having a wheel re-chromed

4. Fixing a bent wheel is exactly the same whether it's real chrome or chrome-clad. You just put on a new plastic cover if it's broken.

5. As akirby pointed out it's a manufacturing defect. Clicking noises are common on removable hubcaps, but that's a different style of design.

There are no benefits to having the plastic veneered wheels, b/c the core wheel [alum alloy is expensive]

Of course there is, the cost difference between a real chrome wheel and a chrome-clad wheel is HUGE! (The real chrome wheel starts out as an alum alloy too). It's on the order of hundreds of dollars per car, not just pennies. Would you pay $200 more for real chrome vs chrome clad? I know I wouldn't.

As for the leather, it's the same thing. It may not be real leather, but the vinyl on the seat backs of my 2002 Focus feels and looks better now than the real leather on the bolsters. I would actually prefer if it was all vinyl instead of leather.

It's like synthetic oil vs conventional oil. Sometimes the imitation can actually be better than the original.

Like you said its not the right thread.

However, you have very good points. Yet, we all have our opinions and what interest me or you may not be of interest to others.

All I am stating is that I would love for Ford, GM, Chrysler to strive. The reason a majority of US consumers are buying Imports is because of the small details. When paying $40,000 + for a vehicle, we expect to get higher quality. Such as the wheels, or memory seats. etc...

Once again, my wife and I like our Edge. I'm just pointing out that there are areas of disappointment, which would be nice to see changed in 2011 or later.

1. Memory seats are a joke. They only record the distance from steering wheel/pedals. No lumbar adjustments. It would be nice if it recorded both the distance and the lumbar position.

2. Sync is good but not great. Sync services is a nice feature but you can only have one phone number active. Hence if the car is your wife's and you have it for the day. You cannot utilize sync services such as traffic, directions, etc. unless you log onto syncmyride.com and make your number active or You could also pay an additional fee to activate another line as well.

3. Wheels - at least for the limited it would be nice to offer actual chrome or even polished aluminum as a standard package [even though I rant about the chrome clad, I would have preferred polished aluminum over chrome clad and actual chrome wheels. ]

4. ATM with a sport shifter available for SEL & Limited editions [not a biggie but could definitely help]

I have owned Imports before (Lexus, Audi, and BMW) and they do offer nicer amenities. It doesn't mean that they are better, it means that they have managed to get the little things right. Hence, if these things were changed/modified. IMO people would be more inclined to buy the Edge vs Lexus, Audi, BMW, etc... and we can start to pave a road for a very successful future for the BIG 3.

Edited by k_m

Like the HP & Torque. Wonder if it will be available on the Edge or if the marketing experts!!! will make it only for the Lincoln to make sure it is seen as an "upmarket" vechicle. Hope the moonroof is an option and if it is not that roof rails can be fitted. Apparently on the MKT the moon roof is standard and as a consequence roof rails cannot be added

Like the HP & Torque. Wonder if it will be available on the Edge or if the marketing experts!!! will make it only for the Lincoln to make sure it is seen as an "upmarket" vechicle. Hope the moonroof is an option and if it is not that roof rails can be fitted. Apparently on the MKT the moon roof is standard and as a consequence roof rails cannot be added

I think the Edge will be introduced in Chicago next month. Rumor is the 3.5L engine gets an upgrade also. If so expect the Edge to have around 280 hp. An upgrade but below the MKX.

I think they'll have to price it within $1,000, even $500 of the current MKX.

On the wheels: I list whether the wheels are polished, chrome-plated, or chrome-clad on TrueDelta.com. It's not always easy to get this information. Manufacturer's use many different terms for "chrome-clad," to disguise what it really is.

I personally prefer polished for the sake of both durability and appearance.

Edited by mkaresh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

There are videos on YouTube showing the 2011 MKX in motion, and of the interior with the "MyTouch" working.

The grill is starting to grow on me, but I still know I could make a killing with an after market front end kit.

I have a 2011 mkx limited edition.....tuxedo black exterior metalic bronze interior. The grill is amazing, lots of compliments on the agressive appearance. The Limited comes with 20' polished alloys.....thr crome clad is cheap cheap cheap looking. I do have an issue with the electronics that control the climate options. Shuts off and on in the cold weather. Overall an impressive vehicle.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2011 Edge. I don't put on a lot of miles - under 15k over two years. My lease comes up in Feb (in 1 month). Some guy comes out to evaluate the condition of the car to see if there is any cost I incur (upon returning the car) or what trade-in value I receive (reduced by X) if I choose to buy out the lease. The inspection concludes and I'm told there's a problem with all the wheels; the chromed plastic covers have all peeled in places. Funny, I noticed this a couple of years ago within a few WEEKS when I first had the car. I thought it was adhesive/glue still on the wheel from the protective wheel covering at the dealership. You would think I would have pulled out the glue-be-gone or something to clean them. But, I never got around to it. I figured at first it would come off when the car was washed. Then I forgot to mention at the dealer when it was serviced. And, here we are, two years later. SO, to chime in, these clad plastic veneers are subject to peeling. And, this is not from some curb abrasion. It's clear that this is a defect and that some weather factor or some other non-impact has caused this to occur. I can assure you that I will never take a car with clad veneers again. So, chalk up a vote for polished alum or true-chromed metal wheels. Hopefully, the dealer doesn't charge me for this flaw...

I have a 2011 Edge. I don't put on a lot of miles - under 15k over two years. My lease comes up in Feb (in 1 month). Some guy comes out to evaluate the condition of the car to see if there is any cost I incur (upon returning the car) or what trade-in value I receive (reduced by X) if I choose to buy out the lease. The inspection concludes and I'm told there's a problem with all the wheels; the chromed plastic covers have all peeled in places. Funny, I noticed this a couple of years ago within a few WEEKS when I first had the car. I thought it was adhesive/glue still on the wheel from the protective wheel covering at the dealership. You would think I would have pulled out the glue-be-gone or something to clean them. But, I never got around to it. I figured at first it would come off when the car was washed. Then I forgot to mention at the dealer when it was serviced. And, here we are, two years later. SO, to chime in, these clad plastic veneers are subject to peeling. And, this is not from some curb abrasion. It's clear that this is a defect and that some weather factor or some other non-impact has caused this to occur. I can assure you that I will never take a car with clad veneers again. So, chalk up a vote for polished alum or true-chromed metal wheels. Hopefully, the dealer doesn't charge me for this flaw...

This was common early on but haven't heard about those problems recently. But this is easy - you're still under the factory warranty and that should be covered unless there is evidence of physical damage. You should not have to pay for it.