Replace damaged wheel on 2007 Edge

Phins

Good day!

I discovered some wheel damage (front passenger side) on my wife's 2007 Edge yesterday and may need to replace the wheel. It does have the TPMS. I will probably try to find a replacement rather than taking it to the dealer. What do I need to keep in mind? Will I have to buy a new TPMS sensor for the replacement wheel or can the original one be used off the damaged wheel (the TPMS is functioning fine by the way)? Do I need a reset tool? Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Phins

Good day!

I discovered some wheel damage (front passenger side) on my wife's 2007 Edge yesterday and may need to replace the wheel. It does have the TPMS. I will probably try to find a replacement rather than taking it to the dealer. What do I need to keep in mind? Will I have to buy a new TPMS sensor for the replacement wheel or can the original one be used off the damaged wheel (the TPMS is functioning fine by the way)? Do I need a reset tool? Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Phins

HI Phins. :D You can reuse the sensor. However, you will need a new sensor band (the band that attaches the sensor to the wheel).

You may be able to get away without the reset tool, since the current sensor is already programmed to the system and may not need resetting. Either way, you would need a tire shop (switching tires on a wheel is certainly not a do-it-yourself job), so they can simply reset the sensor if necessary. However, the tool is very inexpensive and picking one up for yourself would not be a bad investment for future times when you may need to reset the TPMS system.

Finally, have you checked with any wheel refinishing/repair companies to see if it can be repaired? While we do not know how badly the wheel is damaged, this can normally be done for quite a bit less than a new wheel, and a reputable company will do an excellent job. You can check with your local Speed Shops and other Automotive suppliers for recommendations.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

just an FYI, I once talked to a buddy who explained a company he worked with that can come out and fix damage to aluminum wheels.. not sure how, very secretive process apparently, assuming you have aluminum and not the "chrome clad" type caps. So, might look into that. Or, look into seeing if the "chrome clad" caps - if that is what you have and what is damage - can be replaced. Might be cheaper route. If neither, check eBay for wheels.

You can salvage the TPMS sensor and reuse it . Yes, you will need the tool, can buy them cheap off eBay.

Another option for a used wheel is www.car-part.com This provides access to a database of salvage yard parts all over the country. You would be looking for a great A wheel. You can ask them if they include the sensor if it was on the car. Good luck!

He already has a working sensor.

Why would he need to go out and purchase another wheel AND sensor?

That would mean he would need a TPMS reset tool.

Right now all he need is a new wheel and he can transfer his current sensor over.

All he needs is a new sensor band as bbf2530 suggested.

Thanks all for replying! I have not done a search yet so this is a bit lazy on my part, does anyone have a link to purchase a "band" for the tire sensor or is this something the tire store would have on hand (when switching the tire over to the new wheel)?

Thanks again!

Phins

He already has a working sensor.

Why would he need to go out and purchase another wheel AND sensor?

He wouldn't need the sensor. However, he could chose between the inexpensive reset tool (which he can use later) or a new band. He wouldn't need to buy the band if it was already installed on a used wheel w/sensor. Hope that make sense....

Edited by zhotster