2010 Tailgates

FJK

My girl friend wants to trade in her 2007 Edge for a 2010 model for a number of reasons, one being a new tailgate design. She is very short & small and has a hard time opening & closing the tailgate on her 2007. She said the 2010 has a 3rd lift to assist in opening, the outside hand grip is lower for her to reach, & she even eluded to some typye of either automatic open or close. I'm just wondering what has actually changed for the 2010 tailgate, what is standard & what is oprtional, & how everyone likes the 2010 tailgate.

Thanks, FJK

Not sure what exactly has changed, yet I can update you on what we have on our 2010 Edge. [Note we have the Cargo Package w/ power liftgate]

1) Auto tailgate/liftgate via remote & button near the steering wheel

2) Auto colse on the button inside the cargo. Also by pressing the tailgate/liftgate button on the remote will also close it.

3) If manually opening the tailgate/liftgate via its handle. Since we have the auto/power tailgate/liftgate it basically opens itself once you press the button inside the handle of the tailgate

Hope this sheds light on what you are looking for. :reading:

They added power liftgate and the exterior handle for 2008, but I don't remember if there was any change to the interior such as a pull strap. A pull strap would be easy to add unless this is just a convenient way to justify wanting a new one. Power liftgate would be highly recommended.

power lift gate is the bomb SO glad I paid extra for it.

I suppose you "could" install a strap (assuming there is not one on the 2010 - which I highly doubt). BUT I would be worried about that getting caught when you use the auto close feature but even more of an issue, you would logically attach it to the inside of the gate, and that is just cheap plastic panel that pops off with hand pressure to access the inside of the gate if needed. Point is, it will not take much pressure or pulling to dislodge it so a handle would be hard to install and have it work as those gate, under a little pressure from the hydraulic piston, takes a bit of effort to pull down and a handle attached to that weak and easy to remove panel could get ugly.

On an Edge with no auto lift gate, how heavy is the tailgate? The Edge has a very wide rear end, so I would have to think that the tailgate is rather heavy, and it is all one piece. Reaching inside to grab a strap to pull it closed could possibly cause someone to get their arm trapped if it came down too fast? Just a thought.

• 3 months later...

My girl friend wants to trade in her 2007 Edge for a 2010 model for a number of reasons, one being a new tailgate design. She is very short & small and has a hard time opening & closing the tailgate on her 2007. She said the 2010 has a 3rd lift to assist in opening, the outside hand grip is lower for her to reach, & she even eluded to some typye of either automatic open or close. I'm just wondering what has actually changed for the 2010 tailgate, what is standard & what is oprtional, & how everyone likes the 2010 tailgate.

Thanks, FJK

Hi , I have a 2010 edge with no automatic hatch open/close , when it is left open on a warm day then when I go to shut it it is very hard to close and I am sort a heavy person , I would recomend leavivg the hatch open on the 2010 edge that you like for half hour then try to shut it. I think it is some type lift gate shock problem maybe the oil in the lift gate shocks drain into a another compartment of it self just guessing, when you open the hatch and close it at the same time it works great ,only when its been left up for some time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a '10 Edge with only manual lift gate. I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'2"...neither one of us has ever had a bit of trouble closing it. there are two handles in the underside of the liftgate that aid her in closing it, and since they're too low for me to use comfortably, I just grab the outside like I would to open it. I don't see how a power feature could be any easier than this thing already is. The pneumatic dampers raise it all the way up if you just start to open it, and both of us can close it one-handed (loaded down with groceries in the other hand usually). Since it only takes one hand to open or close, I don't see much benefit to a power system that still takes at least one hand to operate (you could probably get the key fob button while still having a full load, but I don't see much other way to use it.) I guess it would be nice to press the button in the cabin, then walk around to an open door and close it from inside the house once you drop your burden, but that's not that big of a deal to me.

Were I in my 50's instead of late 20's, I might disagree with myself here though.

I have a '10 Edge with only manual lift gate. I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'2"...neither one of us has ever had a bit of trouble closing it. there are two handles in the underside of the liftgate that aid her in closing it, and since they're too low for me to use comfortably, I just grab the outside like I would to open it. I don't see how a power feature could be any easier than this thing already is. The pneumatic dampers raise it all the way up if you just start to open it, and both of us can close it one-handed (loaded down with groceries in the other hand usually). Since it only takes one hand to open or close, I don't see much benefit to a power system that still takes at least one hand to operate (you could probably get the key fob button while still having a full load, but I don't see much other way to use it.) I guess it would be nice to press the button in the cabin, then walk around to an open door and close it from inside the house once you drop your burden, but that's not that big of a deal to me.

Were I in my 50's instead of late 20's, I might disagree with myself here though.

There is a button on the key fob, to the left of the steering column, and inside the cargo area on the left hand side.

So to me using one finger to close the door is much easier than using one arm.

Of course someone that doesn't have the system will say it's not necessary but it is a convenient option.