Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

After changing our oil I figured why not install a drain valve to make oil changes simpler [as if its not already simple as it is :wacko: ] So I came across a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve [i believe the F-106 fits our Edge]

Does anyone have any inout on the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve.

I was going to create one from the supplies from our local hardware store, but not sure if the Fumoto would be better or not :banghead:

After changing our oil I figured why not install a drain valve to make oil changes simpler [as if its not already simple as it is :wacko: ] So I came across a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve [i believe the F-106 fits our Edge]

Does anyone have any inout on the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve.

I was going to create one from the supplies from our local hardware store, but not sure if the Fumoto would be better or not :banghead:

I have used them before in other cars. They work great. The only down side is the oil will drain slower due to the smaller opening. The upside is you don't have to worry about stripping out your oil plug.

Thanks for the replies.... Really not worried about stripping the drain plug. Just trying to make life a bit easier. Mainly if by some certain reason I put a bit more oil than intended, I could open the valve and drain to appropriate level.

As far as the Oil Extractor, I have considered it but not sure if I want to go that route. I have some holdups about any potential sediments left behind in the oil pan and wether the extractor will suck it up as well. I have heard that it does get all the oil out and leaves the engine bone dry. I was also told not to worry about any sediments b/c if I run the engine for a while or extract the oil while the oil is still warm, then most debris/contaminants will be held in suspension of the oil. So, this does sound like a great alternative, even though I will still have to get under the car to remove the oil filter which defeats the purpose of why some people get this in the first place or at least why people with BMW would get it since their oil filter is locate at the top.

Edited by k_m
  • Like 1

I have an oil extractor that I made from a 1/4 hp close coupled Oberdorfer condensate pump,they were used on small Hot Shot electric steam generators,100 psi,the pumps were used for adding water to the boiler.I have updated the hoses on the pump to those good for pressure and vacuum,the ends have quick couplers so I can change the nylon hose wands for different size applications.One end connects to a 5 gallon plastic bottle so I can monitor the amount extracted.I have pumped tranny's prior to dropping the pan without all the oil spillage.In 1979 I built an adapter for My 300CD ,and 1980 300SD the dipstick tube is tulip shaped and goes to the bottom.After pumping I opened the drain plug to get out the last drop as a test,I have used on my Touareg to change oil,power steering fluid and even have a spare pump just for antifreeze.Using an oil extractor properly should get all of the oil and sludge,Marty

I have looked at several Fumoto and Fram drain valves but always had a feeling that something would hit it ,break it or open it so I never used one.

# Drive carefully at all times, and if you run over any foreign object on the road pull over and check the valve for any damage or leak.

Edited by Depiry

Thanks MOFSTEEL, Chainsaw2608, & Marty.

:stop: I guess I will try to extractor since we have several cars. That way I will not have to buy a drain plug for each and every vehicle. :redcard:

UPDATE: Not sure the oil extractor will work on our Edge. I've read that the tubing gets stuck 3/4 down the dipstick for Ford cars. So now I will either go with the Fumoto or probably just leave everything as it is.... [i always have a problem with trying to mod/improve what works perfectly well :banghead: ]

As far as running over any foreign objects. I would only have to worry about the Edge since our other cars have a Splash Shield/belly pan to protect the drain plug.

Of course, any extra feedback is welcome :shades:

Edited by k_m

Thanks MOFSTEEL, Chainsaw2608, & Marty.

:stop: I guess I will try to extractor since we have several cars. That way I will not have to buy a drain plug for each and every vehicle. :redcard:

UPDATE: Not sure the oil extractor will work on our Edge. I've read that the tubing gets stuck 3/4 down the dipstick for Ford cars. So now I will either go with the Fumoto or probably just leave everything as it is.... [i always have a problem with trying to mod/improve what works perfectly well :banghead: ]

As far as running over any foreign objects. I would only have to worry about the Edge since our other cars have a Splash Shield/belly pan to protect the drain plug.

Of course, any extra feedback is welcome :shades:

If I were putting more than 20K miles/year on the vehicle, I'd probably consider one-- right now, my annual mileage is good for 2 oil changes. The valve would be convenient, but hardly worth the almost $30 cost when you figure in shipping charges and/or tax. :redcard:

well I think I found another alternative :wacko: ..... its the Dorman EZ Drain $10 [they are at Oreilly's and Advance Auto] The parts which may fit are the 092-005 [Thread Size: M12 - 1.75] or 092-001 [Thread Size: 12" - 20]

[Note: that on either OReill'y or Adv Auto online catalogue it doesn't claim to fit the Edge. However, the thread matches]

So are you saying every Ford has the same dipstick shaft? :huh:

How are Fords shafts different from those of other manufacturers?

Edited by MOFSTEEL

So are you saying every Ford has the same dipstick shaft? :huh:

How are Fords shafts different from those of other manufacturers?

I'm not sure if every Ford has the same dipstick shaft or not... From what I have read the Expedition and some Rangers have problems. The proposed issue is with the bend and narrowing near the end. It seems that the shaft tapers in as it gets closer to the pan.

I am not 100% since I haven't experienced it myself. I may end up buying both the EZ Drain Plug [For the Edge] and the Pela or the Liquivac Topside Oil Changer for our other vehicles and other used such as changing the Trans fluid etc...

If I get the extractor I will post back to let you all know if it reached the oil pan of the edge or not. :shift:

Edited by k_m

I would be interested in seeing how it works but I think I will stick with the drain plug method. No particular reason but you have to crawl underneath to change the oil filter anyway and it's not much more effort to drain the old oil from the bottom. If the oil plug does for some reason get stripped or rounded off a new one from the parts store is cheap. After un-mega-torquing the drain plug the dealer twisted on recently I had to pick up a new one after I nearly destroyed it trying to get it loose.

On the other hand, I cant see any real disadvantages to using the siphon method, assuming you can reach the bottom of the oil pan with the tube. I hear people being worried about sludge and/or chunks of stuff left in the pan but if you change your oil regularly (like you are supposed to), have you ever noticed any chunks of stuff draining out of the drain plug hole? I sure haven't and if I did I would be really worried. Also, the oil filter is there to pick up any dirt or undesirables in your oil anyway and who doesn't put a new filter on when they change oil if you care about your car? I have considered buying a cheapo oil extractor for doing the oil changes on the lawnmower, generator, and maybe for swapping out power steering fluid in the vehicles though.

If you are really picky I suppose a siphon tube could be used to stick into the drain plug hole after the oil is drained to get out any tiny bit that would be left.

Overall, I feel much better and satisfied doing the job myself however it's done. Sure you might go through a few shop rags and get some dirty oil on your hands but thats the fun part.

Edited by klc317

i wouldnt recommend any alteration to a standard oil drain plug. i used one of the fram ez drain plugs with the hose. when the pan was pulled for a leak, lots of gunk left in the pan below the level of the plug.

The Fram Sure drain I believe lays a bit higher inside the pan than Either the Dorman or the Fumoto. I bought the Dorman and a Liquivac Topside Oil Changer. I am not in need of an oil change yet, so I cannot test out wether the Dorman will lay flush inside the Oil pan or not. Also, once the weather clears up a bit I will test the Liquivac Topside Oil Changer to see if it reaches the bottom. I will let you guys know sometime this weel if the Topsider works or not and later on when its time for an oil change I will try to Dorman.

This is what the Dorman EZ Drain Looks like 092-007.jpg which can be found at Oreilly's [ http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DOR1/092005.oap?keyword=092-005 ]

Edited by k_m

UPDATE: I tried out the topsider to see if it would reach the bottom of the oil pan. I did not use it to extract the oil since I am not due for an oil change. As far as reaching to the bottom of the oil pan it did it with ease. It did not get caught up nor did I have to twist and wiggle my way through. Just simply place it down the dipstick tube and voila you will reach the bottom of the pan. 33226_lg.jpg

Its available at many Northern Tools stores [ http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_390306_390306 ] , Amazon, etc....

Hope this helps :shift:

Edited by k_m

This seems like a lot of effort/trouble/expense just to avoid removing a 15mm bolt once every 6 months.

For those of us with more than one vehicle it saves a lot of time/money/effort.

Especially those of us with belly pans than need to be removed.

Some of us are lucky to have vehicles with top mounted oil filters so an oil extractor makes

jacking up the car and laying on your back to change oil a thing of the past.

My main reason for getting the TopSider are for: 1) Trans/differential fluid changes 2) BMW Oil Changes 3) Radiator fluid changes 4) Power steering fluid changes 5) Brake fluid changes 6)Easily Reduce Over Fills [Trans/differential/engine/brake/PS/etc]

Main reason for the EZ Drain is to help drain over filled engine oil for our Edge

Also something which is up for debate is that the oil extractor may get more oil out than conventional drains. [Not sure about this, but I will compare when I do an oil change on our vehicles]

Also Time is not readily available for me as it once was in the past. Hence, I have to be more efficient and maximize every second I have. :shades:

Edited by k_m

Also something which is up for debate is that the oil extractor may get more oil out than conventional drains. [Not sure about this, but I will compare when I do an oil change on our vehicles]

Some of the B6/B7 s4 Audi guys ran a test with a Pela and the extractor took out all 9.5 quarts of oil.

No, that is not a misprint. They take 9.5 quarts of oil.

Yea the S4 really likes oil. Thankfully our A4 only take about 5 quarts. Unfortunately its a canister type filter and its placement is PITA to get to specially if the engine is warm. With a conventional drain I get most if not all 5 quarts out.

Our 3 series takes 6.5 quarts but usually I get about 5 quarts per drain (the conventional way). This is where I will be able to see if the extractor works better.

On the Edge you will have the same results as the Audi when draining the conventional way [getting roughly all 5.5 quarts out]

As far as Pela vs TopSider vs others.... I think they are all the same. I only went with the Topsider since I could get it locally. Also its not that expensive and hold 2 gals.