Playing with traction control

feelin edgy

We got about 2 inches of fresh snow yesterday afternoon, so i decided it was time for my 15 year old daughter to learn about driving in snow. We went to a large empty parking lot. I had her driving around in a large circle and kept telling her to goose the throttle in an attempt to induce a skid (the car is a 2008 Limited with AWD). Until we turned the traction control off, we really couldn't get the back end to step out. Once we turned the traction control off, it was no problem getting the back to swing out. My daughter could then experience what she needed to do to correct a skid. A little counter steering, and she was able to get things back under control. It was a pretty valuable lesson for her, and a pretty amazing demonstration of the value of the awd traction control system for me. I was very impressed both with my daughter and the car.

We got about 2 inches of fresh snow yesterday afternoon, so i decided it was time for my 15 year old daughter to learn about driving in snow. We went to a large empty parking lot. I had her driving around in a large circle and kept telling her to goose the throttle in an attempt to induce a skid (the car is a 2008 Limited with AWD). Until we turned the traction control off, we really couldn't get the back end to step out. Once we turned the traction control off, it was no problem getting the back to swing out. My daughter could then experience what she needed to do to correct a skid. A little counter steering, and she was able to get things back under control. It was a pretty valuable lesson for her, and a pretty amazing demonstration of the value of the awd traction control system for me. I was very impressed both with my daughter and the car.

Yeah, I did the same thing in a parking lot. I couldn't get it to spin out. Hopefully it works that well at higher speeds, I don't plan to test it though.

Very impressive. 2010 AWD

Here in Iowa, you can get a learners permit at 14. With it, you can only drive with a licensed adult in the passenger seat. My daughter has not done any driving since we got snow on the ground back in early December. She will get her drivers license in November of next year. I thought it was important to get her some snow/ice driving experience under adult supervision before she encounters it on her own next year.

Fair enough. Here in Long Island, NY it is 17. Even that is too young for most of these kids (who have the iPod, cell phone, and whatever else playing. I do stand corrected

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%27s_license_in_the_United_States

Looks like North and South Dakota are the youngest at just over 14 for restricted license. Now THAT is scary.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%27s_license_in_the_United_States

Looks like North and South Dakota are the youngest at just over 14 for restricted license. Now THAT is scary.........

Minnesota has changed as I had a permit at 14. Got to drive the old 1963 Buick Invicta station wagon across North Dakota on family vacations many times.

With more crowed roads this is probably a good thing.

In my day (oh gawd, did I write that?) traction control was a function of your clutch and throttle control. Did a fair amount of practice in snow covered parking lots. A great place to get your snow legs back after a long summer; even for experienced drivers.

I was able to get the Edge a wee bit squirrly up in Flagstaff a couple winters ago but that was at the observatory going from dry road, on a curve, and hitting wet snow over some ice. Gave my passenger from Austrailia a start but I felt right at home.

I suspect it would have been Ford's stability control fucntionality that prevented the back end from "stepping out".

• Like 1