How to turn off illuminated entry?

rad48

I just got a new 2010 Edge SEL. The parking lights and dash lights come on whenever a door is opened. Does anyone know how to turn this OFF?

Hi rad. :D It is enabled/disabled through the Driver Information/Message Center. You can scroll through the programmable settings or just look in the Owners Manual. The instructions for all driver programmable features are in the Owners Manual so it would not be a bad idea to take a look through it.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Any other suggestions? I can’t find anything in the Driver Information/Message Center (or in the Owner’s Manual) which tells how to turn OFF the Illuminated Entry/Exit. I’ve set “AUTOLAMP” to zero, but this only affects the headlights. The parking lights & instrument lights still come on for 25 seconds, whenever a door is opened or closed (as discussed on pages 112 & 113 in the Owner’s Manual). On a previous vehicle (Dodge) I was able to disable these lights by simultaneously pressing buttons on the key. I suspect there is some similar feature on the EDGE, but it eludes me.

Hi rad. :D It is enabled/disabled through the Driver Information/Message Center. You can scroll through the programmable settings or just look in the Owners Manual. The instructions for all driver programmable features are in the Owners Manual so it would not be a bad idea to take a look through it.

Any other suggestions? I can’t find anything in the Driver Information/Message Center (or in the Owner’s Manual) which tells how to turn OFF the Illuminated Entry/Exit. I’ve set “AUTOLAMP” to zero, but this only affects the headlights. The parking lights & instrument lights still come on for 25 seconds, whenever a door is opened or closed (as discussed on pages 112 & 113 in the Owner’s Manual). On a previous vehicle (Dodge) I was able to disable these lights by simultaneously pressing buttons on the key. I suspect there is some similar feature on the EDGE, but it eludes me.

I think it's called Easy Entry or something like that to shut off the lights.

Easy entry is the movement of the seat when you open the door, has nothing to do with the lights.

The shop manual says the "Perimeter lighting mode" is configurable in the SJB, which means the dealer might be able to do it in the same way they can turn on/off DRLs. But it's not something you can do without their computer.

Edited by Waldo

• 1 month later...

As a follow-up to my original question which was: “How can I disable the Illuminated Entry so that the parking-lights and dash-lights don’t come on whenever any door is opened or closed?” I e-mailed Ford Motor Company and received the following response: “Inquiries of a technical nature are best referred to our dealerships . . . They are in the best position to discuss and review your request.” I then went to the dealership, and the service advisor told me: “I don’t know. “ “You’ll need to schedule a service appointment.” A few days later, when I arrived for the appointment, the service advisor said that the illuminated entry CAN NOT be turned off. So, I gave him a copy of this forum with Waldo’s comments. He agreed to have a technician look at it. Four hours later, the service advisor called to say that yes, indeed, the Illuminated Entry could be turned off. But, since they would have to connect it to a computer, it would cost me $118. That’s right - $118 to flip a friggin’ light switch. I declined to pay, and will go on living with: “Hey mister, you left your lights on.” Plus, I get to share this story with future potential Ford customers.

As a follow-up to my original question which was: “How can I disable the Illuminated Entry so that the parking-lights and dash-lights don’t come on whenever any door is opened or closed?” I e-mailed Ford Motor Company and received the following response: “Inquiries of a technical nature are best referred to our dealerships . . . They are in the best position to discuss and review your request.” I then went to the dealership, and the service advisor told me: “I don’t know. “ “You’ll need to schedule a service appointment.” A few days later, when I arrived for the appointment, the service advisor said that the illuminated entry CAN NOT be turned off. So, I gave him a copy of this forum with Waldo’s comments. He agreed to have a technician look at it. Four hours later, the service advisor called to say that yes, indeed, the Illuminated Entry could be turned off. But, since they would have to connect it to a computer, it would cost me $118. That’s right - $118 to flip a friggin’ light switch. I declined to pay, and will go on living with: “Hey mister, you left your lights on.” Plus, I get to share this story with future potential Ford customers.

Hi rad. :D Through the 2008 (and possibly 2009) models, this is the procedure listed in the Owners Manual to enable/disable the Perimeter Lighting/Illuminated Entry feature:

"Deactivating/activating perimeter lamps illuminated entry

You may enable/disable this feature by having your vehicle serviced by

your authorized dealer.

You may also perform the following power door lock sequence to

enable/disable the perimeter lamps feature. Note: Before starting, ensure

the ignition is in the 1 (LOCK) position and all vehicle doors are closed.

You must complete Steps 1–5 within 30 seconds or the procedure will

have to be repeated. If the procedure needs to be repeated, wait a

minimum of 30 seconds before beginning again.

1. Place the key in the ignition and

turn the ignition to the 3 (RUN)

position.

2. Press the power door unlock

control on the door panel three

times.

3. Turn the ignition from the 3

(RUN) position to the 1 (LOCK)

position.

4. Press the power door unlock control on the door panel three times.

5. Turn the ignition back to the 3 (RUN) position. The horn will chirp

one time to confirm programming mode has been entered and is active.

6. Press the power door unlock control twice within 5 seconds. Note:

The horn will chirp once to indicate the perimeter lighting feature has

been deactivated. The horn will chirp once and honk once (one short

and one long) to indicate the perimeter lighting feature has been

activated.

7. Turn the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position to exit the procedure.

Note: The horn will chirp once to confirm the procedure is complete."

Perhaps they neglected to put it in the 2010 Manual for one reason or another. I won't waste time guessing at the answer to that question. Whatever the story, give the procedure a try on your vehicle. If it works, great. If it does not, you can "share this story with future potential Ford customers" to your hearts content.

Let us know how you make out.

Hi guys. :D Then I am fresh out of ideas for rad48. If he does not want the dash lights to come on with the dome lights (as most cars do anyway) then it looks like the choices are to pay "$118 to flip a friggin light switch", check with other Dealerships for a better price offer, live with it as is, or hope someone else will come up with another workable idea.

Let us know how you make out, rad.

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks for taking the time to reproduce those instructions. Unfortunately, they didn’t work. I tried the procedure at least a half-dozen times. Each time, the horn chirped or honked as indicated, but there was no change to the Perimeter Lighting. Now, that’s really weird! Perhaps there’s an additional step for the 2010 Edge - pay the dealer $118.

Thanks for taking the time to reproduce those instructions. Unfortunately, they didn’t work. I tried the procedure at least a half-dozen times. Each time, the horn chirped or honked as indicated, but there was no change to the Perimeter Lighting. Now, that’s really weird! Perhaps there’s an additional step for the 2010 Edge - pay the dealer $118.

Hi rad. :D Sorry it did not work. Well, we gave it a shot. :headscratch:

I just bought a 2010 MKX and wanted to turn off illuminated entry. So I looked in owners manual I found the procedure that was posted above. I tried it and the horn would chirp as if it had been disabled but they still came on. However, If you go to www.motorcraft.com and look at the owners manual for a 2010 MKX there are three different revisions for the 2010 model year. The first two have the steps necessary to disable the system but the 3rd revision does not mention anything about disabling the feature. So if it can be done I guess the only way is to go to the dealer.