Brake discs and brake pads

Hi,

ia have some questions about Eddies brake setup...

1. am i right that Edges original brake disc diameter is 295mm? (in special FWD)

2. I would like Eddie to get some sharper brakes and think to reach that with some greater discs. Can you recommend some fitting Edges with FWD?

3. Saw some prake pads in some shops and in ebay with ceramic material. Would you recommend that?

4. Did you something do to get sharper brakes? What in detail?

Thanks in advance

Marc

Have you considered stainless steal brake lines?

They WILL make a difference.

Take a look at this link.

http://www.ajusa.com/browse/Goodridge-Brake-Lines/147/GDR/0?type=&pn=&vc=&year=2007&make=FORD&model=EDGE&go=+

I put some on my 1981 motorcycle…WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

Send this Co. an email, they may work with you for some “will fit” lines.

http://brakeperformance.com/site/brake_lines.php?&ad=google&osCsid=4ecej2cfev5gla23p1ga6lnf20

Here are their rotors for the Edge.

http://brakeperformance.com/site/brake_rotors.php?vtype=1&vmake=62722&vmodel=68549&vyear=68559&vdetail=68564&cPath=1_62722_68549_68559_68564_68566&dv=020410&ad=google

ab

I just changed my pads and rotors about 2 weeks ago. I got the EBC red stuff pads and drilled/slotted rotors. My Edge is FWD but had the 320 mm front rotors. It appears that the 07-08 have the 295 mm rotors on the FWD (320 mm on AWD) and all models after 09 have the 320 mm. (at least this is what the company I got my rotors from told me)

EBC has specific pad brake in requirements. I am in the process of braking in the pads and almost have 200 miles on them so they are not quite broken in yet. (EBC pads come with detailed brake in instructions) I can tell a big difference already. I have used EBC pads on my 03 Explorer when I installed 20" wheels and noticed there was a big difference in the stopping distance, I used the EBC green stuff and drilled/slotted rotors and I was very happy with them on the Explorer so I knew they would make a difference on the Edge. I have the heavy 22" wheel option on my Edge. I weighed one of the wheels/tires when I had them off, they are 76 pounds each! :wacko:

post-7930-126999229056_thumb.jpg

post-7930-126999230614_thumb.jpg

post-7930-126999232209_thumb.jpg

Hi,

ia have some questions about Eddies brake setup...

1. am i right that Edges original brake disc diameter is 295mm? (in special FWD)

2. I would like Eddie to get some sharper brakes and think to reach that with some greater discs. Can you recommend some fitting Edges with FWD?

3. Saw some prake pads in some shops and in ebay with ceramic material. Would you recommend that?

4. Did you something do to get sharper brakes? What in detail?

Thanks in advance

Marc

The things that are going to give your brakes the biggest improvements would be 1) Pads, 2) Lines 3) Good brake fluid. Dependant on what your doing with your edge different pads will yeild different results and feel, a carbon pad typically needs heat; so if your racing or hauling loads through the mountains then these might be for you if your not getting heat into your rotors these are probably giving you poor real world performance. I would go with a pad that works well when cold and performs well when hot, pads and shoes are rated with letters on the sides of the friction material. The letters are an indication of the friction materials coeffeicent of friction when cold and hot. A pad mark eh would indicate poorer performance when cold but excellent when hot. The rating D is about the same as steel on steel and h is the best your going to get. So this is a helpfull tip if your in the autozone looking at pads, you can see their tested performance specs and get an idea of what they do cold/hot.

Lines..... If your going to get a aftermarket steel braid line with a teflon tube make sure you get something thats dot approved and make damn sure your not buying a line with aluminum fittings. A process called galvanic action corrodes the aluminum sleeve and causes premature failure, these lines are bad news; don't put your families life on the line with them. Get a line manufactured with a stainless steel fitting or titanium (which has good anti corrosive properties). I like Hel lines and they make them to order whatever lengths you like. Good brake lines give beter feel at the pedal by expanding less than your typical rubber lines from the oe's.

Fluids.... If your getting your brakes hot then you need to spend money on good fluids. Stopping heavy descending loads can heat your pads and rotors up to unbelievable temperature, I would imagine the oe's are still using dot 3 because of the cost and the fact that most people don't heat thier brakes up much to warrant a better fluid..... If your having brake issues then you need a good fluid, I believe dot 3 has a dry boiling point of 401f dry and 284f wet while some of the best dot 4 and 5.1 (not 5) is over 600dry and 518f wet. Wet temperatures are the ones to look at, most moisture gets into your fluid through the rubber brake lines and caliper seals; a wet rating is given to a fluid with only 3% water absorbtion..... so it doesn't take much moisture to affect the fluids boiling point. A good fluid will make a huge improvement in pedal feel and brake performance when your brakes are smoking hot.

Edited by bender

I just changed my pads and rotors about 2 weeks ago. I got the EBC red stuff pads and drilled/slotted rotors. My Edge is FWD but had the 320 mm front rotors. It appears that the 07-08 have the 295 mm rotors on the FWD (320 mm on AWD) and all models after 09 have the 320 mm. (at least this is what the company I got my rotors from told me)

EBC has specific pad brake in requirements. I am in the process of braking in the pads and almost have 200 miles on them so they are not quite broken in yet. (EBC pads come with detailed brake in instructions) I can tell a big difference already. I have used EBC pads on my 03 Explorer when I installed 20" wheels and noticed there was a big difference in the stopping distance, I used the EBC green stuff and drilled/slotted rotors and I was very happy with them on the Explorer so I knew they would make a difference on the Edge. I have the heavy 22" wheel option on my Edge. I weighed one of the wheels/tires when I had them off, they are 76 pounds each! :wacko:

boy, about the time you did that, you should have also painted your calipers or got colored ones... that would be nice

boy, about the time you did that, you should have also painted your calipers or got colored ones... that would be nice

I am going to paint them, just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. I am not sure on what color to go with. I like red but might just paint them silver. I still have some red paint left over from my old Mustang and Explorer. I wish I could find covers for the Edge, I did see some for a Mustang but so far I haven't seen any for the Edge (do you know if anyone makes them ?)

Hi,

thank you so much so far for the hints.

guess i can drive 5000-10000km with the actual pads and the original discs are not looking so much good anymore, too.

So i will change discs and pads together and will take 320mm-discs on front and rear with ceramic pads.

Maybe i will purchase some brake lines, too. Have to admit that i didnt know what yo mean with brake lines first...never heared that before, but inbetween got some informations about them in www. When i will get some i will ask you how to install them.

Had the idea to color the calipers, too. Guess i will make them orange or silver just like dwtc. Will do it just with the work changing brakes.

Greets from Germany

Marc

• 1 month later...

I am going to paint them, just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. I am not sure on what color to go with. I like red but might just paint them silver. I still have some red paint left over from my old Mustang and Explorer. I wish I could find covers for the Edge, I did see some for a Mustang but so far I haven't seen any for the Edge (do you know if anyone makes them ?)

MGP caliper covers http://www.calipercovers.com/

Only fitting 20" and bigger!

And in my opinion not very nice looking.

Is someone to answer my question about the differences between the brakesystems of EDGE with FWD and AWD?

Or if AWD brake discs (320mm) are fitting on FWD (295mm)?

Thanks

Marc

Edited by Marccom

• 1 month later...