Aftermarket Performance

sntmods

Even though fuel economy seems to be the big issue on everybody's minds now-a-days there are still quite a few out there who just dont care about it as much as the idea of being able to go faster, especially in a 4400 vehicle.

I have been inquiring around about the interest in creating performance enhancing products for the Duratec 35 and of course, more specifically with the Edge/MKx.

I can see a wide interested in Short Ram intakes and some exhaust options coming out soon enough along with retunes of the stock PCM. Other typical "bolt-ons" could become available as well, like under-drive pullies for example.

I have sent in a request for R&D through Turbonetics for a custom turbo kit to be developed and they expressed their interest in another 30 days. This would be helpful across all the vehicles to use the Duratec 35.

I only know of lowering springs from H&R springs to be currectly available and Eibach should be following suit soon.

Are there any others on this forum interested in anything down this alley?

-Dan

I know Magnaflow has a cat back system that will be out soon they have it on there website but no cost yet!

( http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdis...80&cat=Edge )

I I think simple "bolt ons" would be popular with the Edge so long as they increase horsepower and don't decrease mpg a lot. It would be nice to see both lowering and lift kits for this rig I think it could look really nice jacked up 2 inches or so with some BFG All-Terrain T/A KO 31" tires under there as well as sitting down a few inches again with some nice rims maybe some 22's even.

Anyway Its early in the life of the edge and I'm sure we will see an increase in aftermarket parts in the near feature

I'm hoping for some lower gearing for final drives to handle some 35" a/t's any ideas?

You want some ideas. Here's one. I think it is irresponsible to put your bumper at the level of the side windows of some cars. It is a safety issue. There should be some kind of uniformity of bumper height so cars can be designed to off some protection from front and side impacts. I know you are not interested in my opinion, but I don't think it is attractive either.

You want some ideas. Here's one. I think it is irresponsible to put your bumper at the level of the side windows of some cars. It is a safety issue. There should be some kind of uniformity of bumper height so cars can be designed to off some protection from front and side impacts. I know you are not interested in my opinion, but I don't think it is attractive either.

Alright, please dont steer this thread into a pissing match. This thread is for the sharing of ideas of what can be done to our cars.

-Dan

Alright, please dont steer this thread into a pissing match. This thread is for the sharing of ideas of what can be done to our cars.

-Dan

Sorry,The idea of the 35's is for racing,testing and proving of any engineering oversight.since this is the way all vehicles will be manufactured soon.with on frame body mounting and heavy drivetrain being reserved for only commercial purposes,I was not planning on having the lowered impact member even ride above a stock height f-350 4x4 level(quite doable) this vehicle would strictly be a off-road(race)vehicle.As for my daily driver it is a 04 focus svt, so that pretty much puts a stock edge or just about any lincoln bumper at my mid to higher door area.

just trying to see if there is any engineers with confidence out there on this idea

Sorry,The idea of the 35's is for racing,testing and proving of any engineering oversight.since this is the way all vehicles will be manufactured soon.with on frame body mounting and heavy drivetrain being reserved for only commercial purposes,I was not planning on having the lowered impact member even ride above a stock height f-350 4x4 level(quite doable) this vehicle would strictly be a off-road(race)vehicle.As for my daily driver it is a 04 focus svt, so that pretty much puts a stock edge or just about any lincoln bumper at my mid to higher door area.

just trying to see if there is any engineers with confidence out there on this idea

Well, put it this way...

If the Edge and similar drivetrain components sell well, the aftermarket will embrace us more. Final drive ratios would be appreciated for going to larger wheels and tires.

-Dan

Well, put it this way...

If the Edge and similar drivetrain components sell well, the aftermarket will embrace us more. Final drive ratios would be appreciated for going to larger wheels and tires.

-Dan

Hopefully I'll be looking into this

• 3 weeks later...

I want to know what our internals will take. I have a Focus for a daily beater and thought about a edge drivetrain swap in her. What is the compression, what are internals made of and so forth. If they will take boost, all I can say, I feel sorry for imports when my big orange baby is flying by :) . I too would like to see a Edge with some nice 35 inch tires lifted.

Kevin

Dan, definitly interested in aftermarket parts/performance....i have'nt even driven mine home yet because tomorrow it is bieng lowered with the h&r springs...22" wheels are on order and a body kit should be on by middle may. Keep us posted

Hey I'd like to see how this turns out Saleen.

retunes of the stock pcm. Wouldnt that also help increase mpg's? I know it usually helps increase HP but from what I have read in different forums the mpg may also increase?

I am definitely interested in what you are talking about. Keep us all posted. Thanks.

I had my car tuned on a dyno with the SCT program. Much more hp and better gas milage. But the best was the program for the auto trans. 1st to 2nd is much harder now and it won't drop into overdrive as soon, or having to drop back a gear searching for the performance when the throttle is added a little bit. Alternative Auto may soon be working on a program for the Edge.

I had my car tuned on a dyno with the SCT program. Much more hp and better gas milage. But the best was the program for the auto trans. 1st to 2nd is much harder now and it won't drop into overdrive as soon, or having to drop back a gear searching for the performance when the throttle is added a little bit. Alternative Auto may soon be working on a program for the Edge.

Hey, can u give some more information about this? And how much power/mpg did you gain?

• 2 weeks later...

My F150 had a tuner and it responded better and I got better MPG. But I was on it more so the MPG went down. It makes the motor more efficient. I wonder if theyll have one for this car. Since this motor is supposed to be in half of all cars or something sold in the future. Only time will tell. I cant wait to see what the aftermarket has for us.

• 2 weeks later...
does it sound much different from stock? Sound clip?

-Dan

I have no idea how to get a sound clip. I will get some pics and try to upload them. The 1st ones I tried it said they were too big..??.. I'll have my wife do it, she is way more computer savy than I am.

• 1 month later...

Turbonetics will be developing a turbo kit for the Duratec 35 for this upcoming SEMA event. It will be fitted for Edge and Fusion!

"Yes, we do have an update. The kit will be developed for a SEMA show introduction, but there will not be anything to release publically until we get closer to September and the kit is completed. It looks as though we will have the Edge as well as the Fusion.

Stay in touch and I will do my best to feed you any info I can let out. "

-Dan

Turbonetics will be developing a turbo kit for the Duratec 35 for this upcoming SEMA event. It will be fitted for Edge and Fusion!

"Yes, we do have an update. The kit will be developed for a SEMA show introduction, but there will not be anything to release publically until we get closer to September and the kit is completed. It looks as though we will have the Edge as well as the Fusion.

-Dan

W O W!! That will top my list for Santa!

-Dan

Is it safe to assume the MKX would be the same application as the Edge?