PROBLEM WITH VISTA ROOF

I have a 2007 Edge with a Vista Roof, only 40K miles. Over the weekend the Vista Roof stopped working. It opens okay but when it closes it comes to within 5 - 6 inches of closing and dropping down into the frame and just stops. Each time I open and retry it stops in the exact same spot.

The dealer doesn't know what's wrong and has said this could get messy (meaning $$$$).

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Does it close the rest of the way if you hold the button? Its normal for it to stop part way open, but it shut close the rest of the way when you hold the button until completly closed.

No, I hold the button it just stops about 6 - 8 inches from closing, the same exact spot everytime I try to close it. I've had the car for almost a year and no problems with the Vista Roof until now. Dealer can't figure it out.

• 3 months later...

Okay, so I'm about to buy my first Edge. Oh and Hello all. I wanted to respond to this because when I took a used 2010 Edge for a test drive the other day it did the exact same thing. That was a real confidence booster. But anyways, I took it back and they just greased the tracks and it was fine. The salesman claimed that sometimes they just don't get greased properly at the factory. Who knows, but they seemed to fix the problem. Of course I only drove it a little while. I don't know about long term.

No, I hold the button it just stops about 6 - 8 inches from closing, the same exact spot everytime I try to close it. I've had the car for almost a year and no problems with the Vista Roof until now. Dealer can't figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just started having the same problem with my roof. I have a 2008 Edge with the warranty up in December. I close it and it too stops about that far from closing and then it jumps back about an inch on its own. Each time I push it and hold the button to close the final time, it goes so far and jumps back. I have been noticing that it has seemed to close slower than it was. I called the dealer this morning and am taking it in tomorrow. He told me that lots of times they just need to be sincronized again so we will see. Up until now I have had no problems with it and have had it almost 3 years. Hopefully they will fix it.

I just started having the same problem with my roof. I have a 2008 Edge with the warranty up in December. I close it and it too stops about that far from closing and then it jumps back about an inch on its own. Each time I push it and hold the button to close the final time, it goes so far and jumps back. I have been noticing that it has seemed to close slower than it was. I called the dealer this morning and am taking it in tomorrow. He told me that lots of times they just need to be synchronized again so we will see. Up until now I have had no problems with it and have had it almost 3 years. Hopefully they will fix it.

Please keep us up to date ....... :yup:

I will and also in looking through the forum I found some good information regarding initialization of the roof. I printed it off but just in case I have a problem I would like to see it fixed before the warranty is up, but the step by step instructions sound very informative. I found them under searching Vista Roof Problems. I'll post back to this after I have a solution.

I will and also in looking through the forum I found some good information regarding initialization of the roof. I printed it off but just in case I have a problem I would like to see it fixed before the warranty is up, but the step by step instructions sound very informative. I found them under searching Vista Roof Problems. I'll post back to this after I have a solution.

I suggest you try the following process:

Initialization of the sunroof

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I finally got a chance to get on this and add what I found out on the sunroof. I took it to the dealer and they had to take the headliner and glass out. When I went in, the sun shield was also acting up and when you tried to open it, it got really jerky. They took everything out and on the repair sheet, they said they replaced a certain part but didn't reference what it was. Put everything back, greased the tracks and also initialized it. Not sure just initialization would have taken care of the problem. Since it was still under warranty, I figured I would let them repair it. If it were to happen again out of warranty, I will certainly try the initialization instruction on this topic. I have to add though that my sunroof had been getting slower and slower at the final closing so I think it was a problem that had been going on for a time and just finally got much worse. It closes now like it did when it was new. I have a 2008 Edge Limited.

Thanks everybody for your help.

• 2 years later...

The initialization process did not work for me on my 2011 Ford Edge. I have a feeling it's the motor. Really bummed since my car is only 2 years and out of warranty too. Also, just last week, I had to have the latch on the driver's door replaced which also seems to an issue for these car and cost $400 to fix! Taking it back to the dealer Saturday. Very disappointed with Ford. Just wondering what's next? Will keep you updated as to the sunroof problem once I find out. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Any new news on these problems?

EDIT: So my Sport came back from the shop today and it says that they cleaned and lubricated the roof, I can definitely tell that its running a lot better than it was when it went in. tomorrow ill investigate to see what exactly they did.

Edited by Edgieguy

• 1 month later...