Turn the grill from chrome to black...

EdgeDog

ive seen others that have turned the chrome into black ( murdered) and such, but want to know if they sell a simple black bars to replace the chrome bars instead of painting them or vinyl covers..? ive seen custom painted ones for 179 bucks but want to know if anyone knows a site that has a replacement cheaper...flat black would be perfect.........kinda want to keep the chrome one hung up in the garage incase i dont like it.......thanx, EdgeDog

ive seen others that have turned the chrome into black ( murdered) and such, but want to know if they sell a simple black bars to replace the chrome bars instead of painting them or vinyl covers..? ive seen custom painted ones for 179 bucks but want to know if anyone knows a site that has a replacement cheaper...flat black would be perfect.........kinda want to keep the chrome one hung up in the garage incase i dont like it.......thanx, EdgeDog

You can buy a primered one which I believe would be flat black.

I was looking into doing the same. Part # 9T4Z-8200-AA

Cost should be the same as the painted ones.

Be sure to post pics if you decide to go this route.

basically you have to remove the whole front bumper cover. from there the grill removal process is pretty easy. Its better to have another grill ready to go. Otherwise you will be grilless. I dunno if you want to have one painted of just buy a new one or not but I have my stock one and would sell it for $60 shipped just to get rid of it.

• 2 weeks later...

[ holy crap alot a screws and such...not too bad took my time with my bro.....we gotter done!!!!!!!!!!! see for yourself............love it, and livin it, of course, on the EDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!................thanx to the Quad Cities.........thanx, J........Edgedog.. ;)

post-7676-127483377276_thumb.jpg

post-7676-127483379994_thumb.jpg

post-7676-127483381784_thumb.jpg

post-7676-127483384361_thumb.jpg

post-7676-127483386307_thumb.jpg

post-7676-127483388559_thumb.jpg

post-7676-127483390626_thumb.jpg

the one i got from sabtaj....wet sanded the hell out of it...3 coats of adhesive primer....2 coats of filler duplo primer...had to fill a couple of rock pits , that was the hard part...3 coats of a satin duplo color...but then didnt like the shinyness of it so i wet sanded again , hit it with another coat of adhesive primer and opted for the duplo bumber coating which gave it a flatter look which i liked better....2 coats of that...Ill tell u what , it did help alot having it out of the edge for wet sanding and such, then having it ready to pop in...so it was great to have the extra one...later on I will pass the help and offer my old one out so someone else can do the same....

• 2 weeks later...

ok now for those that bought a painted one from the dealer....,,,, even with the seven coats of paint i got my first small ding, yes i see chrome....i do alot of highway and was wondering if the dealer ones hold up to dings, rocks, etc, better?

• 3 months later...

update!!! found out i used the wrong paint for sticking to it.....used a better ashesian clear and nailed 9 coats...perfect now...went to niagra falls without a ding, bugs wash right off and all is well with the murdered grill...love it...now i see u can get black on the 2011`s....be good Edgers!!

overall i bought four cans of plastic flat black bumper paint...the first adhesive i had, didnt work so bought a new one all at pepboys...sandpaper i had...6.99 a can for paint and the other primer was about the same...about 45.00 .... beer for my brother and I ... 28.00.... i did buy another grill off of another forum bud just incase i screwed it up...total 72.00..........and the thrill of ripping apart my new car, PRICELESS!!! and the fact that it turned out great, even better....I love to see other Edgers take a second look when travelin behind em.....no regrets....and I do have the other chrome, original, grill sitting in the garage....its nicer to paint and let dry first so u can pull it out and in in an hour..........a new painted one costs about 200.00 Ill be selling that off if u like? i have all instuctions on pulling it off to replace...its easier than it looks....hope this helps ya...EdgeDog........

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

well i was new to it and never used plastidip...so far so good with my way...only one chip from the great salt bath this winter....I still have the extra grill if anyone wants to murder it!!! yes with instuctions and all the info on paints i used...Ready to ship ... I kept it incase i didnt like it to change it back...Never gonna happen......!!

• 3 weeks later...

CAn you just buy these things at the dealership in black??

You can get them primered. The dealer will "paint" them for you by sending them to their body shop and then charge you on top.

Best to order yourself from PartsCheap.com and take it to a body shop.

OR... just plastidip your old one. The plastidip should be removable on such a large surface area if you change your mind and its durable as hell. I put 3 coats on my volvo 850 grille 5 years ago and its still perfect.

• 4 weeks later...