Vista worthy option

harrison512

Have you had problems with Vista roof?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had problems with Vista roof?

I'm looking at getting a 2009 Ford Edge with a Vista Roof. It only has 12k miles on it, but I've been reading a number of posts here and in other Ford forums where people complain that their Vista roof breaks down or explodes!

I would assume there'd be a TSB on this - but I checked, and couldn't find one. In fact, very few TSBs on Edge's in general JD Powers gives Edge a very reliable and safe ranking....

If I get this, worth getting extended warranty I assume?

I'm looking at getting a 2009 Ford Edge with a Vista Roof. It only has 12k miles on it, but I've been reading a number of posts here and in other Ford forums where people complain that their Vista roof breaks down or explodes!

I would assume there'd be a TSB on this - but I checked, and couldn't find one. In fact, very few TSBs on Edge's in general JD Powers gives Edge a very reliable and safe ranking....

If I get this, worth getting extended warranty I assume?

I have a 2008 with a Vista (BAMR) and it has worked fine. There are some posts where people have had trouble. I bought the extended warranty because I have the AWD and there have been so many issues regarding the PTU. So far mine is fine.

There are several posts on the extended warranties to view on this site. Some say save your money and others have got their money back plus some. In the end it is really your decision. The one thing I read the other day is if you are going to purchase the extended warranty get on line. These are negotiable and you can get different pricing from different Ford dealers for the same coverage. Try that and then you have something to work with when you purcahse your 2009.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

I love the concept of a Vista Roof. That was a deal breaker for me. I would not have bought an Edge without one. However, the car is at the dealer for the 5th day today. I have had it for 6 weeks. Ford is working on it and it will be covered under warranty. They cannot get the BAMR to work. They can get it to work around the switch and it does everything fine. They have had two switches and two motors in the vehicle and it will not work. They seem to have power at all points in the system. It should work, it just doesn't. I am going to be having a meeting with a Ford rep when this is over. I love this car. I love the sync. I love the BAMR. I just want it to work.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your BAMR troubles. Mine had been fine from day 1 in 2008. I love it, and use it alot. now my kids are actually noticing it as well and i open up the screens when theyre in the car so they can stare out the roof. They love to see the screens roll up so I make sure to always close them. Hope it all gets sorted out for you.

I'm the opposite from most as I wanted nothing to do with the Vista Roof. I had a Lexus RX for the past 5 years and I think I opened my shade a hand full of times & maybe opened the roof all the way two or three times. I also wanted the stability/sound quality of a solid roof.

We have a SLK for when the weather is really nice & my wife has a sunroof in her Zephyr. If the MKX was our only vehicle then maybe I'd have a different opinion.

I'm the opposite from most as I wanted nothing to do with the Vista Roof. I had a Lexus RX for the past 5 years and I think I opened my shade a hand full of times & maybe opened the roof all the way two or three times. I also wanted the stability/sound quality of a solid roof.

We have a SLK for when the weather is really nice & my wife has a sunroof in her Zephyr. If the MKX was our only vehicle then maybe I'd have a different opinion.

it may depend somewhat on where you live also. Living in Colorado with predominant amounts of Sunshine, I love the vista roof. Living in an area with lots of Vertical scenery it also is a nice touch. Of course it is still a new thing to me also. But I definitely like sunroofs, Vista roof is just a bigger version

it may depend somewhat on where you live also. Living in Colorado with predominant amounts of Sunshine, I love the vista roof. Living in an area with lots of Vertical scenery it also is a nice touch. Of course it is still a new thing to me also. But I definitely like sunroofs, Vista roof is just a bigger version

If you live in a place where it is dark half the year it is also nice to just let in any sunlight that is available. I don't close the shade often. I have found my daughter loves to ride in the back looking up at the stars or clouds or whatever is up.

Totally worth it. Also - with the shade open it gives you another inch or so of headroom if you are just about to where you would bump your head otherwise.