20" Chrome Custom Wheels Mounted!

Look pretty nice... 22's would be sweeter!!! :P

"To each his own"

I personally don't like the "cartoonish" look of wheels that big.

The 20's definitely look custom, and they have a great presence.

Looking forward to your pic's with 22's mounted. :ohsnap:

Sweet rims. I'm thinking about getting some Enkei's.

Can you tell us how the ride is with bigger wheels... Do you notice any difference in the smoothness of the ride? Also, what brand tires did you go with and how much were they.

Thanks!

Thanks for your input.

I drove the car for a couple of hours after getting them installed and I must say that there is a definite difference in handling.

The combination of the low profile, wider width, and tire tread and compound makes the car stick to the ground while cornering.

My Edge AWD previously had great "road grip", but now it seems more intense.

The ride seems to be just as before. The steering wheel might be a little heavier at slower speeds, but I will continue to evaluate that.

The tires I mounted are Fuzion ZRi. You can read the specifications and review on tire rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...8-tr_indiv&

As far as pricing, if you shop the market you'll find a slight difference in pricing from one place to another.

Being a business owner, I feel strongly about supporting local small businesses in my area, so I choose a local tire shop that services my fleet of vehicles and equipment even though I pay a little more. I'm not a fan of buying tires and wheels online and then bringing them in to a local shop and just pay them to mount them.

Good luck on your choose of wheels and tires. :)

Those wheels are looking real nice, and the choice of tire size is also right on, almost exact height of stockers.

Any plans to lower it, or maybe pimp up the calipers, with the paint made for brake calipers?

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.aspx?p...paint|685034237

Thanks for the link on the caliper paint.

I have an M3 convertible also and I painted the calipers with a spray paint that has a "hammered metal" appearance in a silver color.

I'm gonna take a close look at those being that I did it about a year ago to see close how their holding up.

I might use the same paint, or choose the black paint on the link you gave in order to keep a clean look with the cars black paint.

What do you think of red? Too much? Too often used?

Thanks for the input. :rockon:

NYEDGE...THAT LOOKS GOOD MAN. I HAVE GOOD NEWS, THEN BAD NEWS. I WAS THE ONE PLANNING ON PUTTING ON 22"s. UPS DELIVERED THEM TODAY......BOLT PATTERN IS 5/114 FOR THE EDGE, AND I KNOW I TOLD THEM THAT...YUP, WRONG BOLT PATTERN SENT...5/115. SOOOOOO...... :angry2: :censored::banghead: THEY AGREED TO TAKE BACK...PROBLEM 2....NO 22"S IN 5/114 FOR UNDER $525 PER WHEEL. :huh::huh: SO GOING YOUR ROUTE..20 INCH WITH 275-45/20. TIRE RACK SAYS 275 WILL NOT FIT A 20X8.5 WHEEL THOUGH.......I AM READY TO GIVE UP....

Saleen,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

The 20"x8.5" wheels I put on have 275/45/20 rubber.

I used my local wheel shop because I trust him to do the right thing.

Many different wheels will fit the Edge, but they will not ride properly.

My advice; take your time deciding on the wheels and make sure they will fit properly.

This is a big financial investment as well as being a big part of the vehicles look.

Many different wheels will fit the Edge, but they will not ride properly.

they look good as hell!

you talkin about similar bolt patterns or something? i thought our bolt pattern was 5x4.5 or some shit. same as the mustang i thought.

saleen you sure its 5x114?

• 3 weeks later...

What did you do about the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system)?? I'm trying to get some answers from dealerships, and I'm getting different answers from each person I talk with.

One says I can move the sensors from the 18" rim to the 20" rim, but I'll need to purchase new 'bands'....another says I cannot; that I'll need new sensors.

Help! My wheels come in Friday and I don't know what I need!

Thanks!

Rickq,

Technically both answers you are getting are correct...

First off you need to know which type of sensors you have as there are two types used on the Edge. One is band type with a sensor in a metal plate 3M'd to the inside of the rim and the band is used as an extra security measure to keep it in place. The other is a valve stem sensor that is attached to the valve stem on the inside of the rim. The valve stem sensors can be moved with no problem. The band type sensors can be moved (but very carefully) as not to ruin the metal housing in which the sensor is located. You'll will have to check as right now I don't think Ford even makes a replacement band for a 20" wheel. I think right now they only go up to 18" bands. Just so you know, new bands and sensors through the dealer will cost you between $400.00-$600.00. Or do nothing and live with the indicator light on the dash being constantly 'ON'. Below is a pic of a band sensor.

NOW BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD!

2177018160101139552S200x200Q85.jpg

Edited by edged out +

RickQ,

I left my stock chrome clad wheels with the sensors in them so that I can change my wheels when winter comes.

Leaving expensive chrome wheels exposed to road salt is not smart.

I ordered 4 new sensors and 20" straps.

Make sure the parts guy at Ford takes the time to find the part number for the straps.

They won't find it by using the Edge information because the edge does not come stock with 20's.

Good luck.

Make sure the parts guy at Ford takes the time to find the part number for the straps.

They won't find it by using the Edge information because the edge does not come stock with 20's.

Good luck.

Maybe you could dig up your receipt and part numbers for the new sensors and 20" bands and save a few of us some headaches at our dealers. :reading:

Edited by edged out +

Edged Out...NYEdge...thanks for the heads up. I should have clarified by stating that this is for an MKX (bought it for the wife - birthday surprise this afternoon), and I ordered Enkei 20's for the car. I would imagine it's the same setup for the MKX as the Edge though, in terms of whether it's the band, or the valve stem?

If it's the bands, I was given this replacement part number for the 20" Ford rim bands: 6F2Z1A193G

-And told they run around $56 ea!

RickQ,

What did it cost for the sensors and the straps...was it $400-$600?

Thanks.

*Since this is a lease, I need to leave the 18" rims intact so they can be put back on the car when I turn it in.

Edited by rickg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I just got my 20" wheels mounted and I'm lovin it! :yahoo:

The Wheels are Zyox, and I mounted 275/45/20 rubber.

Check out my album to see the photos, and let me know what you think.

I think this link should work, or click my profile picture and go from there.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?aut...er&user=369

NY Edge

Were you able to reuse the sensors or did you have to buy new ones

JIm

edge

were you able to reuse your sensors or did you have to buy new ones?

jim

I bought new sensors and straps so that I can mount the stock wheels for the winter.

Here in NY, the road salt eats away the chrome.

However, if you are not switching the wheels during the winter, you can buy new 20" straps from Ford and use your existing straps.