MY NEW EDGE

USAF11179

Can anyone explain why a Brand New car would need new rotors. Is there such a thing called Blueing? The dealership said it was deposits on the rotors and that they would clean them self. Well now it is in the Service department getting new rotors. I am just a little confused, thanks in advance!

Car may have been sitting for quite some time. Rusts will form on rotors pretty quickly

But rust would wear off pretty quickly. They must have been warped too badly to turn or the dealership just didn't want to bother with it. Any surface problem or buildup should have been fixed by turning the rotors. You can usually turn them at least twice before they get too thin.

But rust would wear off pretty quickly. They must have been warped too badly to turn or the dealership just didn't want to bother with it. Any surface problem or buildup should have been fixed by turning the rotors. You can usually turn them at least twice before they get too thin.

Trouble is that most auto manufacturers will not allow rotor turning under warranty because it's probably cheaper for them to be replaced than to pay the labor to turn.

Trouble is that most auto manufacturers will not allow rotor turning under warranty because it's probably cheaper for them to be replaced than to pay the labor to turn.

The rotors can be turned on the vehicle - no way that costs more than replacing them. I've had them turned under warranty before. There could be situations where they choose to replace them rather than turn them but that's not common.

I am a ford technician and can tell you that ford for sure says to turn the rotors over replacing them. The only time you replace them is if they are at minimum machinable. Ford has also got a special service message about them sitting too long and getting a brake pulsation. Ford says to go out and really use the brakes hard to clean them off. If that doesnt work then you are supposed to continue with normal diag.

I personally dont buy into the turning of the rotors. Maybe once at most but after that the time between getting good and getting a pulsation just starts decreasing.

I am a ford technician and can tell you that ford for sure says to turn the rotors over replacing them. The only time you replace them is if they are at minimum machinable. Ford has also got a special service message about them sitting too long and getting a brake pulsation. Ford says to go out and really use the brakes hard to clean them off. If that doesnt work then you are supposed to continue with normal diag.

I personally dont buy into the turning of the rotors. Maybe once at most but after that the time between getting good and getting a pulsation just starts decreasing.

I don't like turning them either - seems to just make them more susceptible to warping or other issues. Doesn't help with heat dissipation either.

Could you please tell me what it felt like when braking?

I also have a 2010 and have been noticing my brakes feel 'rumbly' when coming to a stop. I don't feel it if I'm just slowing down for traffic or whatever, only when actually coming to a stop.

I don't know how else to describe it, they don't squeal or anything they just kind of sound and feel rumbly, like lumpy rumbling uneven clunky-ness. Kind of how I would imagine it would feel to drive on wheels made out of lumpy crumbling squares instead of circles, that's how the brakes feel when stopping. Dumb analogy, but that's what it feels like!

So, is that what yours felt like by any chance?

Thing is, it only feels like that sometimes, I don't notice it if the car has been running for a long time. It's actually kind of like that sound and feeling you get when at a complete stop, you take your foot off the brake a little, but not enough for the car to actually move so it just starts to make that creaky rumble. Hopefully someone knows what I mean.

If it's not at all the same then my apologies, I swear I'm not trying to hijack your thread :)

Can anyone explain why a Brand New car would need new rotors. Is there such a thing called Blueing? The dealership said it was deposits on the rotors and that they would clean them self. Well now it is in the Service department getting new rotors. I am just a little confused, thanks in advance!

Could you please tell me what it felt like when braking?

I also have a 2010 and have been noticing my brakes feel 'rumbly' when coming to a stop. I don't feel it if I'm just slowing down for traffic or whatever, only when actually coming to a stop.

After owning 6 fords (64, 72, 88, 93, 02, 08) bought used or as project cars, etc., every braking system is different! I'm not a tech or Ford employee or anything, but it's definitely time for a trip to the dealer. The dealer who replaced the rotors on the original thread starter here did he/she a HUGE favor. Remember dealers are independent businessmen and can make the case to Ford to pay for replacement parts under warranty that will avoid issues from "reappearing" down the road. If there is a TSB on rotors, REPLACE THEM NOW. Turning rotors for a "pulse" or even more severe "clunking" sounds drastic, but turning/machining rotors just means the pulse or clunking will come back w/in 10K miles in my experiences. It's really not that complex to replace pads & rotors folks and replacing parts is cheaper than 2 or 3 visits worth of labor. Give that service manager and the tech who does the job a gift card for looking after you if you get treated this well. You will be rewarded the next time you come back for something that's marginally under warranty, I promise. ;-)

Edited by edawg

Thank you for the advice edawg, much appreciated. So you think what I described definitely warrants a trip to the dealer then? I know I won't be able to get them to replicate it, because I've noticed it only does it when the car is first started. The brakes only rumble for about 5 - 10 city blocks, coming to a complete stop at a stop sign or light every block. After that it feels like they soften up or something and I can't replicate it.

Someone said something about them needing to warm up, but in any case that kind of rumbling does not feel right. Maybe I'll get my dad to come with me so they'll actually listen! I'm always completely shrugged off otherwise :angry:

I must have taken my Escape in at least 5 times after it was hit and "repaired" because I thought the CV joint where it was hit should have been replaced, was clunking and clicking at every turn yet they "never heard anything." While being serviced there two months later, they tell my dad it sounds like I've got a busted CV joint on that side and it looks pretty banged up, better get that fixed :doh:

After owning 6 fords (64, 72, 88, 93, 02, 08) bought used or as project cars, etc., every braking system is different! I'm not a tech or Ford employee or anything, but it's definitely time for a trip to the dealer. The dealer who replaced the rotors on the original thread starter here did he/she a HUGE favor. Remember dealers are independent businessmen and can make the case to Ford to pay for replacement parts under warranty that will avoid issues from "reappearing" down the road. If there is a TSB on rotors, REPLACE THEM NOW. Turning rotors for a "pulse" or even more severe "clunking" sounds drastic, but turning/machining rotors just means the pulse or clunking will come back w/in 10K miles in my experiences. It's really not that complex to replace pads & rotors folks and replacing parts is cheaper than 2 or 3 visits worth of labor. Give that service manager and the tech who does the job a gift card for looking after you if you get treated this well. You will be rewarded the next time you come back for something that's marginally under warranty, I promise. ;-)