Rear Wheel Bearings

I've been reading the forums about the wheel bearing roar. I was looking to replace my tires, but after doing some research, found that the wheel bearing/hub failures where an issue. I have 57,000 miles on the Edge, and was told by the dealer that the powertrain warranty does not cover the wheel bearings/hub assy's. Does anyone have the part number for the rear and front hub assy's? Is this a dealer only part? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have now replaced the rear wheel bearings twice on my 07 edge. The second set was just replaced at 82,000 miles. The first set at about 50,000, but the first set was covered by warranty. They told me that this replacement was an updated knuckle and bearing. This is obviously an under design issue, but all my efforts to discuss it with Ford Customer Service have fallen on deaf ears so I am stuck with the bill. I have worked in the bearing industry for 30 years and I can tell you that wheel bearings should not fail even once in 100,000 miles. Yes, there is the odd case of a bad bearing or other defect related to the installation, but if the bearing had been designed properly, I would have had more chance of winning the lottery, than failing 2 bearings in 50,000 miles and the failing 2 more in only another 30,000.

Edited by gcorson

• 1 month later...

I have now replaced the rear wheel bearings twice on my 07 edge. The second set was just replaced at 82,000 miles. The first set at about 50,000, but the first set was covered by warranty. They told me that this replacement was an updated knuckle and bearing. This is obviously an under design issue, but all my efforts to discuss it with Ford Customer Service have fallen on deaf ears so I am stuck with the bill. I have worked in the bearing industry for 30 years and I can tell you that wheel bearings should not fail even once in 100,000 miles. Yes, there is the odd case of a bad bearing or other defect related to the installation, but if the bearing had been designed properly, I would have had more chance of winning the lottery, than failing 2 bearings in 50,000 miles and the failing 2 more in only another 30,000.

:( Reminds me of my '01 Grand Prix. The two front bearings were so loud at 75k miles. The rear ones are just now starting to get louder at 100k.

So should the 2010 have the updated part?

:( Reminds me of my '01 Grand Prix. The two front bearings were so loud at 75k miles. The rear ones are just now starting to get louder at 100k.

So should the 2010 have the updated part?

I just had both replaced on my 2008 for the 2nd time (with only 32k miles) and this time I was told there was a new bracket that they installed on both sides that should keep it from happening again.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone verify whether or not this is covered under the 5 / 60,000 warranty?

I began hearing the "humming" about a week ago. Gets "higher" as I go faster, so I know it's not the exhaust. From the descriptions above, I think I have the wheel bearing issue as well.

I have an 08 and am just above 56k miles and would rather not have to pay for this if it's becomming a common issue.

Thanks in advance!

I just had both replaced on my 2008 for the 2nd time (with only 32k miles) and this time I was told there was a new bracket that they installed on both sides that should keep it from happening again.

• 4 months later...

It specifically states in the glove box warranty manual that front and rear bearings are covered under the 5 year 60,000 warranty. I don't know the page number as the car is actually at ford as I type this.

GOSH! Thank you so much! Taking my 2009 Edge in tomorrow and they are saying the rear bearings are NOT covered. I will look for this tonight. Thanks again for your post!

Edited by val

• 2 years later...

I am having the roaring that everyone is talking about with the wheel bearings in the rear. I have a 2008 Edge with only 28,000 miles on it, very low. My 5 year warranty was up last December. I have the TSB printed regarding this and will be taking it with me to the Ford Dealership on Friday to have them listen to it. Is there anyway possible with low miles and it just expiring last December that I can get them to pay for this repair. Any idea how spendy it could get. I looked on Complaints filed with Ford and there are several regarding this issue.

Thanks for any helpful answers.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...