What Modifications are Necessary When Importing to Canada?

• 7 months later...

What is involved in turning on the daytime running lights? Is it a dealer computor conection or is an add on required?

Hey grogie,

I'm also looking at importing an Edge into Canada from the U.S because of the upfront cost savings and FWD Sports are not available in Canada. All you need to do is have a Ford Canadian dealership turn on the daytime running lights from the computer because U.S. dealerships don't have access to that feature in the computer.

Good luck!

Jay

Hey grogie,

I'm also looking at importing an Edge into Canada from the U.S because of the upfront cost savings and FWD Sports are not available in Canada. All you need to do is have a Ford Canadian dealership turn on the daytime running lights from the computer because U.S. dealerships don't have access to that feature in the computer.

Good luck!

Jay

How much are you saving importing into Canada? What about warranty? Resale value?

I am also in Canada was thinking of doing the same

Thanks

How much are you saving importing into Canada? What about warranty? Resale value?

I am also in Canada was thinking of doing the same

Thanks

I not worried about resale value as I'm looking to own for the long run if it isn't a lemon. The warranty is honored in Canada as per Ford's head office, called them twice and two different reps said so. Feel free to contact them on your own if you like, Ford Motor Company of Canada can be reached at 1-800-565-3673. I'm not really concerned about the savings because I'm purchasing a FWD Sport which isn't available in Canada but the MSRP of my Sport in the States is 41,080 while an AWD Sport with the same options in Canada is 48,229. I'm paying 38,900 US on the road and after the currency exchange it's 37,139.58 CAD. Add the HST tax because I live in Ontario +AIR TAX +RIV FEE and the grand total is 42.272.48.

Do the Canadian dealers have access to DRL in their computers? There is a post in these forums about the option not being in the software to turn the DRL on

I have been told by a service advisor at a Canadian Ford dealership that they do and it's the U.S.dealerships that don't.

This same service advisor will be handling it for me once I've imported my Edge.

I have been told by a service advisor at a Canadian Ford dealership that they do and it's the U.S.dealerships that don't.

This same service advisor will be handling it for me once I've imported my Edge.

I'd be very wary of that. The 2011 has a new style of SJB that does not have a simple "on-off" feature of the DRL like the 2010 and older Edges did. While it's true that DRL is still just a software configuration change, it's not something that is made available to dealers, whether in Canada or the US.

By the way, have you figured out a way to not pay state sales tax in the US?

I'd be very wary of that. The 2011 has a new style of SJB that does not have a simple "on-off" feature of the DRL like the 2010 and older Edges did. While it's true that DRL is still just a software configuration change, it's not something that is made available to dealers, whether in Canada or the US.

By the way, have you figured out a way to not pay state sales tax in the US?

I'll double check with him and call a few other dealerships in my area to see what they say.

Delaware, New Hampshire, Oregon, Montana and Alaska are states with no sales tax.

If you buy a vehicle in New York state to export then you are not charged sales tax but you need to obtain a temp in-transit permit.

• 1 month later...

My 2011 Ford Edge Sport purchased in the US has been imported into Canada and the DRL have been turned on by my local Ford dealership.They turned them on through the computer but had to set the amber parking lights as the DRL instead of the headlights because U.S. models don't have that option as per the service advisor. The Edge passed the RIV inspection without any problems and it's now licensed and on the road.

Edited by Jay77

I just imported a 2011 Edge Limited AWD with 6000 k's on it. I figured I saved $7000.00 from what I could buy one in Ontario for. It was "completely" worth my while. I picked it up just outside of Cleveland and did not pay any sales tax there. Paid GST and air tax when I arrived at Canadian customs and paid RIV fee tonight. Since my Edge was ordered as a fleet vehicle I have DRL. I spoke with Ford Canada and was told all fleet vehicles go over activated. Has full warranty, roadside, etc.. If anyone tells you it is not worth your while to import, don't believe, probably a dealer salesman !!! I have had mine for 2 weeks now and so far excellent.