Backup camera + Bypass features only available in "Park"

Hi all,

I'm still waiting for my MKX so in the meantime, a few questions pop into my mind as far as system capabilities!

Is there a way to activate the rear camera view while driving? That could be pretty useful when the trunk is packed and visibility is reduced in the rear-view mirror! Just an idea like that...

Secondly, from what I understand, there are a certain number of functions that wont be available while driving, such as watching videos (I guess from an .AVI file on a USB key..?) and maybe the internal browser (internet). Any ideas how this could be bypassed? It would be a nice feature for the passenger when having to drive on long distances.

Thanks!

Hi choff and martcouz,

I saw a post a couple weeks ago about a product from Coastal Electronics Tech that DOES bypass the safety measures that limit what functions are available while driving (see link below). Not having any luck trying to find the original post though.

Ford Sync Lockpick

I sent Coastal Electronics Tech an e-mail to see if their product worked with the new myFord Touch and nav systems on the 2011 Edge, but didn't get a definitive answer. They said that they have 2 versions of their product - 1 for hard drive based Sync and nav and 1 for non-hard drive based systems. I haven't been able to confirm that the 2011 Edge has a hard drive based system, because all the documentation I have seen says that nav is SD card based. Coastal Electronics Tech said that that is only the nav portion of the system and Sync is probably still hard drive based as that seems to be the direction Ford is going with newer vehicles.

I wish I could find the original post to ask the poster if they had any experience with this bypass. Maybe someone with a Edge model can offer their experience as well.

Found a few links on the Ford F-150 forum about the lockpicks. Ford uses the GPS to determine if the vehicle is in motion and disables input functions. The lockpick bypasses the GPS, so the vehicle doesn't know it's in motion. However, with the GPS bypassed, you have no nav! You can enter your destination, but you need to disable the lockpick for the nav to resume. In my mind, not the best solution.

F-150 Forum link

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I could find the original post to ask the poster if they had any experience with this bypass. Maybe someone with a Edge model can offer their experience as well.

I just e-mailed Brett at Coastal, and he says this:

"Great News! The Sync 2011 Edge factory Ford radio with the internal hard drive and "Jukebox" mode is completely compatible with the Coastal Electronics Sync LockPick. This LockPick offers features such as NAV in motion, video in motion, and camera on demand (if equipped) which allows full camera viewing in any gear!"

It seems like they say it will work, and I'm thinking about ordering it, but I'm still talking to him to make sure this is fully compatible with the 2011 Edge Limited.

"Great News! The Sync 2011 Edge factory Ford radio with the internal hard drive and "Jukebox" mode is completely compatible with the Coastal Electronics Sync LockPick. This LockPick offers features such as NAV in motion, video in motion, and camera on demand (if equipped) which allows full camera viewing in any gear!"

It seems like they say it will work, and I'm thinking about ordering it, but I'm still talking to him to make sure this is fully compatible with the 2011 Edge Limited.

Do you know where in the car this installs? Does Coastal have detailed install instructions ie how to take the dash apart?

Wow, as if the MyTouch isn't buggy enough on it's own. This should add that extra level of "WTF is going on"

Edited by wilsons66604

This sounds weird to me...

I don't have mine yet, but I didn't think the '11 model had a "Jukebox" feature. Isn't that where it has an internal hard drive where you can copy cds? I've read both the owner's and the MyFord Touch manuals and didn't see it mentioned.

• 4 months later...

This sounds weird to me...

I don't have mine yet, but I didn't think the '11 model had a "Jukebox" feature. Isn't that where it has an internal hard drive where you can copy cds? I've read both the owner's and the MyFord Touch manuals and didn't see it mentioned.

Yeah, we don't have a Jukebox feature. I decided not to order it, based on the fact that this guy obviously doesn't know anything about my '11 Edge.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...