Sport 22" wheels: can they accomidate ANY snow chain?

dg3147

So, I just bought an fwd '11 Sport and though the Ford guys told me that it can not be operated with chains; though, other traction devices may work. I am concerned since, during the season, I ski weekly (but live in sunny southern california). I just checked the clearance between the wheel and the strut (?) and it seems like only an inch or so.

Did they sell me up the river????? Are Cables the only option?

(Man, I almost want to trade in my fwd for an awd version now ---guess I would take an $8k hit though).

I am in So Cal as well and we have a cabin in Green Valley Lake. I bought a 11 Sport with FWD. I wont be taking it up the mountain in the snow though. I have a jeep wrangler and a 4wd truck for that. If I didn't have those options, I definitely would have bought the AWD and maybe even considered the Limited over the sport because of the smaller wheels and more rubber to wrap the chains around. All that being said, I dont think you should take the hit and move to an awd version. The roads are cleared fast in the local mountains and the new snowfall is pretty predictable.

couldnt you purchase some smaller wheels with snow capable tires that you could put some traction stuff on if needed.

I could for full time winter use, but wanted to get a way from summer tires and winter tires. If I was just looking for something for on the weekends to go skiing, I wouldn't want to deal with different tires, but that is probably the smartest option.

• 4 weeks later...

from the 2011 Edge owner's manual on page 223:

Use only cable chains on 17 inch wheels with P235/65R17 or

P245/60R18 tires.

• Do not use tire chains, cables or optional traction devices with 20 inch

or 22 inch wheels and tires.

Yeah, when I bpught the car, the dealer gave me a paper that said chains will not fit, but other cable-types may fit. Then the owner's manual said this ---ug! They sold me a bit of a lie.

Has anyone tried putting a cable on the front tires? It seems like it should fit.

Yeah, when I bpught the car, the dealer gave me a paper that said chains will not fit, but other cable-types may fit. Then the owner's manual said this ---ug! They sold me a bit of a lie.

Has anyone tried putting a cable on the front tires? It seems like it should fit.

What did they lie about - they said there might be something out there - And maybe there is somewhere...

• 11 months later...

I just ran into the same problem. Just bought a 2009 limited with 20" wheels.

I am a bit pissed at the dealer, we specifically talked about going to the snow and the need for chains or cables.

I have been doing a bit of research and found this product.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/TRS/TH02230K67.html

They are expensive, but look like the would solve the clearance problem with the strut.....

Urgh.....

I just ran into the same problem. Just bought a 2009 limited with 20" wheels.

I am a bit pissed at the dealer, we specifically talked about going to the snow and the need for chains or cables.

I have been doing a bit of research and found this product.

http://www.etrailer....TH02230K67.html

They are expensive, but look like the would solve the clearance problem with the strut.....

Urgh.....

I've seen those around on a video somewhere before. Great idea, but at that price, I would opt for some cheap 17s or 18s and not risk your bigger wheels to being scratched up.

I'm definitely happy that I stuck to my guns and got the 18s, because I don't see myself shelling out that much for chains or spare rims.

I've seen those around on a video somewhere before. Great idea, but at that price, I would opt for some cheap 17s or 18s and not risk your bigger wheels to being scratched up.

I'm definitely happy that I stuck to my guns and got the 18s, because I don't see myself shelling out that much for chains or spare rims.

Would the width of the 20" tires be a plus or minus compared to the 17" in the snow?

Would the width of the 20" tires be a plus or minus compared to the 17" in the snow?

The 17s are 235mm

20s and 18s are 245mm

and the 22s are 265mm

I don't see the 10mm increase in width having that large of an impact on the contact patch. Best compromise, in that case, would be 18s at the same width as the 20s.

Your sport is a front wheel drive? In Canada they are only all wheel drive. I bought myself a set of 17 studless winter tires and rims for the winter, this thing is like a mountain goat with these; but next step up would be the studdless tire tech with studs. With the 17's you could run the traction products you want.

Gotta say, we drive ours all year round (NE Ohio snowbelt) with the 22s and it goes like a tank. Stopping is a bit longer than our previous AWD 07 with the 18s but that's about it. Our '11 is AWD which helps I imagine but you'd be pleasantly suprised how those 22s actually do in the white stuff, I know I was.

I ran across this thread using Google. I am in a similar position and I might have found a solution.

I have a 2011 Edge Sport AWD with the stock 22's. I know standard chains or cables won't fit on the car. I did however come across something called "Spikes-Spider." The contraption has a band of chains that is kept in place over the tire using "arms" that lock into your lug nuts. You can see them here and there are videos showing how to install them.

I haven't ordered these yet but after a long discussion with a guy he did some calculations and said that a "SPXXXL" would fit the tire. My only concern was the same thing someone here mentioned - that the owners manual states not to use cables/chains on 20+ wheels. Because of this, I contacted a Ford service representative and he did some checking and told me the only thing he can think of as to why the owners manual wouldn't recommend putting anything on these wheels is due to the space requirements for chains/cables. Furthermore he believed that using them should work fine as long as they fit in the wheel well. He did recommend because it is AWD to get two pairs of these Spikes-Spider devices. They aren't cheap but maybe this is a solution??

Would appreciate feedback on the above research before I buy them!

Gotta say, we drive ours all year round (NE Ohio snowbelt) with the 22s and it goes like a tank. Stopping is a bit longer than our previous AWD 07 with the 18s but that's about it. Our '11 is AWD which helps I imagine but you'd be pleasantly suprised how those 22s actually do in the white stuff, I know I was.

Yeah they really do handle well. I went on a trip with a few friends last November to Lake Tahoe and unfortunately we ran into some of the worst snow/temperatures that area had seen in decades. It was so bad that I almost missed Thanksgiving with my family due to road closures or chain requirements (I was completely ignorant to the issue with these wheels and chains). My car still has the stock non-S rated tires but is AWD and it really handled amazingly well in the snow. My friend drove it and said it handled better than car with chains (he used to live in Washington). It handling so well is a reason I am hesitant to get two pairs of the Spider-Spikes since they aren't cheap.

• 4 weeks later...

I have, last year I went to lake tahoe and did not know what to expect.. I got scared when i saw the signs saying that you needed chains or cables so i went to buy some and put it to work. I have a ford edge 2010 limited FWD 20 inch and at the start it was all good but after the while i realized the cables were messing my springs and hitting them... It was a bad experience dont try it, but the good thing was my car handled perfectly without cables never got stuck so even if its only FWD you should be fine,this year i am expecting to go again.

Edited by goncalo532