Dreamss

Which Tire Is Best?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What Tire Would You Buy?

• Pirelli Scorpion Ice And Snow
    • Toyo Observe G-02 plus
    • Bridgestone Blizzack DM-V1
    • Michelins Latitude

Ok, so with Winter fast approaching, and even quicker for some of us (Alaska!!), I need to find me a pair of dedicated Winter tires for my 2011 Limited AWD.

Granted, Quebec is mandated to put winter tires on, but even at that, I wouldn't have kept the all season's on even if I was allowed to.

Even though I've upgraded to the 20's, I'm going to be picking up some sort of 18" rims for the winter, something I don't mind getting salt and gunk on be it steelies or other.

I will / want to run the popular size of 245/60/18 which I think most people are.

So, those who have, or do run winter specific tires on their Edges, what make and model do you like?

What's going to plough through lots or little snow like a champ, give me great traction and do well on ice (we get lots of Black ice here)?

After lots of reading on the net, I've found top reviews for the following 4 models:

Pirelli Scorpion Ice And Snow

Toyo Observe G-02 plus

Bridgestone Blizzack DM-V1

Michelins Latitude - Not sure which model though

Pricing aside, I just want something incredible that will do what it says its made to do. Price is a "small" factor, but right now I'm looking for feedback primarily and to make the best choice possible, price will prob come second after that.

Can anyone say anything about the above mentioned choices or any suggest other tires you are using or have used?

Tire Rack in the USA does not sell Toyo, but they have the Scorpions and DM-V1 ($140 - 170 range) which seemed to rate very well and the prices are to my liking but I've heard that the Toyo Observe is simply incredible but I didn't find a place who has them in the USA or Canada for cheap, found them in Canada but close to $300 a pop! Still looking an awesome deal on those as well.

Once I figure this out, I will start looking for the rims I'll be using to mount them so gotta act quick!

Thanks,

Tony

Edited by Dreamss

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony, I am in the same boat as you. I'll be taking delivery of my Edge sometime in late November and will be immediately swapping out the 20" wheels/tires with a winter setup. While I only have personal experience with one out of the four you listed (Blizzaks), I would highly recommend them. I've been running Blizzaks on my current RWD G35 Sedan as well as my previous RWD G35 and they perform extremely well in snowy/icy conditions. I am 98% sure I will be going with the DM-V1s and will more than likely be purchasing them from Tire Rack.

good choice for new column, yes Winter is approaching and I also have been thinking about some snow tires this year. Actually I would probably be fine without them, but they would provide better service and also save wear on the Michelin AS tires. I guess by splitting the wear the cost comes down over long run One thing I am undecided on is whether or not to get new rims for them or just change the tires on the rims that came with the vehicle. Separate rims would sure make it a lot easier, but not sure I want to chunk out that kind of money because I want them to look nice.

Personally, I don't want my brand new Chrome 20's mounted to machines twice a year for tire swaps, rims get damaged and scuffed no matte how careful they are, especially doing it twice a year. If I only have to mount new tires once every 3 - 5 years, I'm thrilled that they wont see any machine for that long other than the possible balancing I will do on them.

Besides, running your rims in the winter will prob keep the nice rims looking "less nice" in the long run once the winters eat away at them. I could care less about the steelies and can change them easily for a fraction of the cost. Also, just put a cheap hub cap on the steelies, it changes everything.

Tire Rack for Canadians is the place, the tires for my SS where over $250 CAD in Montreal, I paid $140 USD, no tax, and dollar was floating at par, and I stay in the usa for 48 hours so I pay no duty :)

Personally, I don't want my brand new Chrome 20's mounted to machines twice a year for tire swaps, rims get damaged and scuffed no matte how careful they are, especially doing it twice a year. If I only have to mount new tires once every 3 - 5 years, I'm thrilled that they wont see any machine for that long other than the possible balancing I will do on them.

Besides, running your rims in the winter will prob keep the nice rims looking "less nice" in the long run once the winters eat away at them. I could care less about the steelies and can change them easily for a fraction of the cost. Also, just put a cheap hub cap on the steelies, it changes everything.

Tire Rack for Canadians is the place, the tires for my SS where over $250 CAD in Montreal, I paid $140 USD, no tax, and dollar was floating at par, and I stay in the usa for 48 hours so I pay no duty :)

Yeah, having a dedicated setup is not only much safer for your 20" wheels, you can do it at home yourself and do not need to take it to a shop twice a year to get the tires changed out. :)

Good point Dreamss

Yeah SandJunkie - you just wait - there will be a special delivery snow ball coming your way.

I have never had a car that I felt that I could get a way with just using winter tires, I have always had studded tires which were some type of winter tire, but I wouldn't be able to say what kind they were. I am really thinking that I will see how the first few snows go before deciding on what to do. If I do go to winter tires, it will be something with studs and I will be getting a set of rims (hopefully from the scrap yard to save money) so that they honey has a reason to play with the air compressor we HAD to have a few years back.

actually the 10 day forecast here in Colorado looks pretty good, but despite that I expect a freeze or snow or something................because............my tomatoes are finally starting to produce and that always brings a frost. things grow slow at altitude with cool nights. :-(

without them do you get any kind of low pressure error messages?? Can you disable the warning message if you do?

I am not sure about the Edge, but on my Infiniti there is a light on the gauge cluster that stays lit until the TPMS are detected. I suspect the Edge would have something similiar.

Nice to see you over here on this forum as well. :)

I personally never bother with TPMS for my winter setups. I don't feel the added $300 or so is worth it.

Hi CanuckG35. I order my edge on Thursdays. I will look into my delivery date next week. I never though I would be excited about a getting acrossover/ SUV but I really am.

I am looking into snow tires. The only thing about the TP warning I think you have to get the dealer to reset the light. I do not believe you can reset it yourself but I hope I am wrong. I have to look more into it. I do not mind the warning light but it would be a pain in the but if I could not reset it myself . Also is there a chime involved with the warning like seatbealt warning chime? That would drive me crazy.

Are you going with 18" rims & tires? My brother has a 2010 edge and he wants to go with 17". Myself I want to go with 18". When you order from tire rack do you take a trip to the border (st Stephen) to pick them up or do you get them delivered? Guy at work in Saint John made a trip of it and saved alot for his tire package for his Santa fe.

Edited by Factger

Hi CanuckG35. I order my edge on Thursdays. I will look into my delivery date next week. I never though I would be excited about a getting acrossover/ SUV but I really am.

I am looking into snow tires. The only thing about the TP warning I think you have to get the dealer to reset the light. I do not believe you can reset it yourself but I hope I am wrong. I have to look more into it. I do not mind the warning light but it would be a pain in the but if I could not reset it myself . Also is there a chime involved with the warning like seatbealt warning chime? That would drive me crazy.

Are you going with 18" rims & tires? My brother has a 2010 edge and he wants to go with 17". Myself I want to go with 18". When you order from tire rack do you take a trip to the border (st Stephen) to pick them up or do you get them delivered? Guy at work in Saint John made a trip of it and saved alot for his tire package for his Santa fe.

Same here, I'm quite excited myself for my Edge to arrive. :hyper:

Again, I can't speak for the Edge since I don't have it yet, but with my Infiniti as soon as wheels with TPMS are mounted back on and you achieve a certain speed (60km/h IIRC), the light on the gauge cluster goes out. I can't imagine need to have a dealer reset it, but I could certainly be wrong.

I plan on going with a 17" winter wheel/tire package. Smaller and more narrow tires provide better traction. It's nice that they are cheaper as well. :) When I order my winter package from tire rack, I will either ship to Calais, ME or have my brother in law pick them up directly in Indiana since he goes there often. Shipping to Canada is extremely expensive, approximately 75% more than shipping them to Calais.

Same here, I'm quite excited myself for my Edge to arrive. :hyper:

Again, I can't speak for the Edge since I don't have it yet, but with my Infiniti as soon as wheels with TPMS are mounted back on and you achieve a certain speed (60km/h IIRC), the light on the gauge cluster goes out. I can't imagine need to have a dealer reset it, but I could certainly be wrong.

I plan on going with a 17" winter wheel/tire package. Smaller and more narrow tires provide better traction. It's nice that they are cheaper as well. :) When I order my winter package from tire rack, I will either ship to Calais, ME or have my brother in law pick them up directly in Indiana since he goes there often. Shipping to Canada is extremely expensive, approximately 75% more than shipping them to Calais.

Wouldn't changing wheel size impact the ABS and speedometer/odometer readings?

No not as long as you pick the proper tire size and that size within 3% the stock Circumference. I believe the tire size is 235/65-17 Within 1.86% the stock P245/60R18

1010tires

Are you still considering an 18" winter wheel/tire package. I priced a 17" package at tire rack (Blizzak DM-V1s and 5 spoke alloys) for $983.66 shipped to Calais.

Are you still considering an 18" winter wheel/tire package. I priced a 17" package at tire rack (Blizzak DM-V1s and 5 spoke alloys) for $983.66 shipped to Calais.

That's not too bad for blizzaks and nice wheels.

I had a 05 Tacoma xrunner that I got winter wheels & tires for. Having a mountable set ready for winter is the way to go AND you might as well get some wheels that at least look good.

I needed them for the xrunner but I'll be able to do year 'round on this Limited AWD Edge in KS

That's not too bad for blizzaks and nice wheels.

I had a 05 Tacoma xrunner that I got winter wheels & tires for. Having a mountable set ready for winter is the way to go AND you might as well get some wheels that at least look good.

I needed them for the xrunner but I'll be able to do year 'round on this Limited AWD Edge in KS

Yeah, I thought it was a decent price as well. I've got a good friend that works for Tire Rack in Indiana so I've gotta talk to him now for a better deal. :)

I've always had a dedicated winter setup and it certainly makes it easier and cheaper for the swap twice a year. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yeah, I thought it was a decent price as well. I've got a good friend that works for Tire Rack in Indiana so I've gotta talk to him now for a better deal. :)

I've always had a dedicated winter setup and it certainly makes it easier and cheaper for the swap twice a year. I wouldn't have it any other way.

My present car has snow tires no rims. Just switched them over year after year at the garage. Did not know how long I was going to keep the car and now it is 5 yrs later and I am kicking myself. It is a real pain in thw$#^%# when you have to go to the garage to switch over tires having to get them balanced and then switch them back and balance them again. Plus it is hard on the rims. I will not be doing that this time with the edge.

I was going to get some tires priced in the burnside park (DartmouthNS - DSL Tires) and look out for some used rims. If I could not find any rims heaven forbid I would switch the tires over on my sel rims(just this once) until I could get a good deal on a set of rims. That's where the 18" tires comes into play.

$250/tire&rim is a steal. You are looking at that price for most 18" snow tires with no rims especially Blizzaks.

Edited by Factger

My present car has snow tires no rims. Just switched them over year after year at the garage. Did not know how long I was going to keep the car and now it is 5 yrs later and I am kicking myself. It is a real pain in thw$#^%# when you have to go to the garage to switch over tires having to get them balanced and then switch them back and balance them again. Plus it is hard on the rims. I will not be doing that this time with the edge.

I was going to get some tires priced in the burnside park (DartmouthNS - DSL Tires) and look out for some used rims. If I could not find any rims heaven forbid I would switch the tires over on my sel rims(just this once) until I could get a good deal on a set of rims. That's where the 18" tires comes into play.

$250/tire&rim is a steal. You are looking at that price for most 18" snow tires with no rims especially Blizzaks.

Just a thought, but perhaps I can get my buddy at Tire Rack to offer a discount if we both purchase a winter whee/tire pack from him. Anyways, just a thought if you might be interested.

Hey CanuckG35,

What rims did you pick out at Tire Rack and how did you do the winter package combo? I tried selecting the 2011 Edge for tires and wheels but got the following error message:

Due to the unique technical aspects of this application, we can only accept orders for Winter / Snow Tire & Wheel Packages for your 2011 Ford Edge Limited AWD over the phone

and it wouldn’t show me any wheels??

How did you select your wheels and which ones you eyeballing? Link?

As for the TPMS sensor, myself personally, I think it will drive me nuts to see the light all winter and potentially here a chime, so I'm on the fence about getting them or not, I want them but don't want to pay the added cost for them lol.

I was speaking to another friend on the forum and I was told that the TPMS sensors from the 2011 Edge is NOT like the previous model years. Unlike the other years being on the inside rim, I was told this year it’s on the valve, don't hold me to this but this is what I was told. I have asked for some pictures of the valve and maybe the part number as it was bought from a Ford Dealer in Montreal and the price was $42 each at Ford Cost.

I haven't decided fully on the tires yet but the DM-V1's are looking like they may take it but know with all this talk about 17's or 18's, I am once again second guessing myself with size now...I want 18's but 17's may be better for cutting snow, besides they will be cheaper, and the rims to. Still debating this in my head lol.

I too will do a P/U in the USA, I actually live 30 minutes from my door to the Lacolle boarder in USA and the holding facility I ship them to is about 1/4 mile once I’m in...the charge 3$ to hold a shipment of any size under 50 pounds so I can't go wrong there!

Tire Rack quoted me $144 to ship to Montreal or $61 30 minutes from my door on the American side, it's a no brainer lol.

I would love to buy a set of 2011 SEL wheels for the winter, even the most basic ones painted only would work for me, I would rather it be originals but I think I’m going to be picking something up from Tire Rack as well.

Tony

Edited by Dreamss