Why don't the 12V PowerPoints turn off?

SonarTech

Why didn't Ford "engineers" design the 12V PowerPoints (cigarette lighter sockets) to automatically shut off after x minutes when the car is shut off? What possible good can come from leaving these hot 100% of the time so you can drain your battery dead (either intentionally or unintentionally)? Since I can't give Ford Engineers enough credit to actually make a voltage sensing circuit that would shut-off the PowerPoints when the battery voltage started to get too low to start the car, I have to ask this question. Why aren't the PowerPoinits relayed and programmed to shut-off after 10 or 15 minutes following ignition OFF?

First, I know there's lots of people out there that will say "Why don't you just unplug whatever you plugged in each time you get out of the car" (my favorite reply) or "It'll never use enough battery power to run your battery down anyway, so why worry about it". If you're the first class of people, my response is "because I paid $45,000 for conveniences which include not having to take the time to unplug my accessories". If you're the second class of people, my response to you is "You're wrong. It will and it does, and I've seen it happen over a 1 week vacation."

Thanks,

SonarTech

Here is a portion of the manual...(p87)...

To have full capacity usage of your power point, the engine is required to be running to avoid unintentional discharge of the battery. To prevent the battery from being discharged:

• do not use the power point longer than necessary when the engine is not running,

• do not leave battery chargers, video game adapters, computers and other devices plugged in overnight or when the vehicle is parked for extended periods.

Why didn't Ford "engineers" design the 12V PowerPoints (cigarette lighter sockets) to automatically shut off after x minutes when the car is shut off? What possible good can come from leaving these hot 100% of the time so you can drain your battery dead (either intentionally or unintentionally)? Since I can't give Ford Engineers enough credit to actually make a voltage sensing circuit that would shut-off the PowerPoints when the battery voltage started to get too low to start the car, I have to ask this question. Why aren't the PowerPoinits relayed and programmed to shut-off after 10 or 15 minutes following ignition OFF?

First, I know there's lots of people out there that will say "Why don't you just unplug whatever you plugged in each time you get out of the car" (my favorite reply) or "It'll never use enough battery power to run your battery down anyway, so why worry about it". If you're the first class of people, my response is "because I paid $45,000 for conveniences which include not having to take the time to unplug my accessories". If you're the second class of people, my response to you is "You're wrong. It will and it does, and I've seen it happen over a 1 week vacation."

Thanks,

SonarTech

How have you tested this? Have you opened the doors after you shut the car off?

The manual says...

Accessory delay

With accessory delay, the audio system, power windows and moon roof

(if equipped) operate for up to 10 minutes after the ignition is turned off

or until either front door is opened

No. They're hardwired.

They may be hardwired but I think there is some kind of intelligence as to how much power flows though the hardwire. They say the voltage is decreased if the engine isn't running.

Regardless, various devices will not notice this. My old TomTom would shut down when I stopped my previous cars and boot-up when I started. It's hard to say what the TomTom will do with this car (unless I dig it out of the closet and give it a try). I wonder if it will stay on for a few hours and the Edge will finally shut it down.

They may be hardwired but I think there is some kind of intelligence as to how much power flows though the hardwire. They say the voltage is decreased if the engine isn't running.

Regardless, various devices will not notice this. My old TomTom would shut down when I stopped my previous cars and boot-up when I started. It's hard to say what the TomTom will do with this car (unless I dig it out of the closet and give it a try). I wonder if it will stay on for a few hours and the Edge will finally shut it down.

If they're hardwired then that means there isn't anything there to sense the current and change it. When the engine is running the alternator is putting out 14.4 volts or so to run the car and charge the battery. When the engine isn't running you're only getting battery voltage - 12 volts or less. When you crank the engine the current is drawn by the starter which causes the voltage at the powerpoint to drop.

The battery saver feature that I had been referring to kicked in for me today. I had the acc on and playing the radio. The radio stop and a message displayed saying

Batter Saver - System off

Please turn ignition off and start the engine.

I know this is not one of the 12volt sockets but it is what I was referring to.

I had this the first night - sitting in the garage playing with stuff with the accessory mode.

I had this the first night - sitting in the garage playing with stuff with the accessory mode.

I may be wrong but I think there are two different, yet related functionaries. As I recall there is a feature that shuts off accessory mode after 45 minutes, that happened to me I think 3 times one Sunday washing the car and listening to the football game. I just turned accessory mode back on and I was good to go. Then I think there is a function that just plan shuts down the battery power when the battery level reaches some pre determined low point.

I may be wrong but I think there are two different, yet related functionaries. As I recall there is a feature that shuts off accessory mode after 45 minutes, that happened to me I think 3 times one Sunday washing the car and listening to the football game. I just turned accessory mode back on and I was good to go. Then I think there is a function that just plan shuts down the battery power when the battery level reaches some pre determined low point.

Oh ok... it gave me a shutting down in 5....4.....3....2.....1 with no abort option. I took it as a sign to go to bed. It was time. :)

No, hardwired means hard wired. As in a wire directly from the battery through the powerpoint to the ground. There is nothing of any intelligence in the circuit.

The feature you're describing (called accessory delay) does exactly what you experienced, but the powerpoints are not on the same circuit and so they will remain on.

You are probably thinking of the headlamp delay "battery saver". If you leave your headlamps on it will turn them off after 10 minutes - this is unrelated to the accessory mode. But there is nothing that will shut down all battery power.

Hey Waldo. Sounds like you know something about the wiring in a car. I wonder if you might be able to direct me to a solution for the fuse 29 feature.

I've had to pull 29 3 times now (make that 4 if my backup camera is still doing a vertical scroll tomorrow) The last time, i dropped the fuse behind the kick panel and had to go fishing for it.

Do you know of any device that can be plugged into 29 and allow me to simulate the pulling of the fuse? Ala a "touch reboot" switch.

Hey Waldo. Sounds like you know something about the wiring in a car. I wonder if you might be able to direct me to a solution for the fuse 29 feature.

I've had to pull 29 3 times now (make that 4 if my backup camera is still doing a vertical scroll tomorrow) The last time, i dropped the fuse behind the kick panel and had to go fishing for it.

Do you know of any device that can be plugged into 29 and allow me to simulate the pulling of the fuse? Ala a "touch reboot" switch.

I don't know that much, I just have access to and know how to read a wiring diagram. A fuse is just a wire, so you could always rig up a wire that fits into the fuse location and attach a switch (and the original fuse) to it.

Last time I did any wiring work on my own car I install a auto-dimming mirror with compass. The compass only worked when I was pressing the brakes and the auto-dimming only worked when the door was open. It was quite tricky to calibrate the compass while driving in circles with the brakes on the whole time. That's how much I know about wiring.

I don't know that much, I just have access to and know how to read a wiring diagram. A fuse is just a wire, so you could always rig up a wire that fits into the fuse location and attach a switch (and the original fuse) to it.

Last time I did any wiring work on my own car I install a auto-dimming mirror with compass. The compass only worked when I was pressing the brakes and the auto-dimming only worked when the door was open. It was quite tricky to calibrate the compass while driving in circles with the brakes on the whole time. That's how much I know about wiring.

:lol: that is too funny!

By chance...are you a mytouch engineer?