ready for an oil change

crzjorge

got the edge on Mar 20 2007 that was a quick 3k... going to use Motorcraft FL-400S bought at the local walmart (so glad they carry it) and castrol fully syntetic oil since it comes from the factory with semi syntetic i belive we can go directly to fully syntetic. i hope the change is rather quick... anyone have any idea where the filter is located?? easy to get to?

I dont know where the filter is located, but i just thought i would ask a couple of questions/make a couple of statements.

Ford has started to suggest that the 3.5L V-6 in this can go 7.5k without needing a change (its in the owners manual as well). I was just wondering if you are doing this early change as something to clear out any loose parts that might have come into the oil during breaking in, or doing it because that is what you have always done with cars, or just because you can?

Personally i am taking mine in for the free first oil change in a month or two when i hit 5k miles. I am taking the alternative schedule for dusty, towing, idling etc conditions - which we have plenty of around here! Plan on continuing on that schedule. For the small oil change fee involved i dont mind having the dealer look at it. Personally i dont trust folks who do their own changes, at least when it comes to resale time. I also had a GF with an Isuzu Trooper who bought it off another guy who had done his own oil changes - unfortunately he didnt check much else and the oil pump was about to go out as well as a few other misc items, which likely would have been picked up with a mechanic working on it. Its also nice to have the receipts to back up the change intervals for the history.

I dont know where the filter is located, but i just thought i would ask a couple of questions/make a couple of statements.

Ford has started to suggest that the 3.5L V-6 in this can go 7.5k without needing a change (its in the owners manual as well). I was just wondering if you are doing this early change as something to clear out any loose parts that might have come into the oil during breaking in, or doing it because that is what you have always done with cars, or just because you can?

Personally i am taking mine in for the free first oil change in a month or two when i hit 5k miles. I am taking the alternative schedule for dusty, towing, idling etc conditions - which we have plenty of around here! Plan on continuing on that schedule. For the small oil change fee involved i dont mind having the dealer look at it. Personally i dont trust folks who do their own changes, at least when it comes to resale time. I also had a GF with an Isuzu Trooper who bought it off another guy who had done his own oil changes - unfortunately he didnt check much else and the oil pump was about to go out as well as a few other misc items, which likely would have been picked up with a mechanic working on it. Its also nice to have the receipts to back up the change intervals for the history.

well i'm sticking to 3k just because i can... i have a place and the tools to do this. and all my other cars have been done at 3k i do not trust the dealer usually around here the dealer oil changes are done by some 16 yearold that is barely out of highschool and they usually do not look at anything i will follow the maitenance plan as stated in the manual but i will do it myself. if it is something i cannot do i have a good friend who is an ASE certified master mechanic that has a full shop he will be able to help with anything out of my knowledge. i think it will be arlight... and also i will probably keep this car in my family till the doors fall off lol... so i'mn not too worried about resale.

well i'm sticking to 3k just because i can... i have a place and the tools to do this. and all my other cars have been done at 3k i do not trust the dealer usually around here the dealer oil changes are done by some 16 yearold that is barely out of highschool and they usually do not look at anything i will follow the maitenance plan as stated in the manual but i will do it myself. if it is something i cannot do i have a good friend who is an ASE certified master mechanic that has a full shop he will be able to help with anything out of my knowledge. i think it will be arlight... and also i will probably keep this car in my family till the doors fall off lol... so i'mn not too worried about resale.

I also noticed the long interval on oil changes in the manual and after speaking with the service rep. found out that they use part synthetic oil at the dealer, thus the extended interval however, if driving in stop and go situations he suggested that you go with the shorter interval for heavy use /dusty conditions . Personaly, I prefer the 3,000 mi. interval because I keep my vehicle for the duration and don't trade in on a regular basis. Long live your edge!

got the edge on Mar 20 2007 that was a quick 3k... going to use Motorcraft FL-400S bought at the local walmart (so glad they carry it) and castrol fully syntetic oil since it comes from the factory with semi syntetic i belive we can go directly to fully syntetic. i hope the change is rather quick... anyone have any idea where the filter is located?? easy to get to?

I know this was posted on here some time ago.

Oil filter is on the front side of the oil pan that faces the front bumper.

EdgeP016.jpg

Motorcraft 5W-20 is a synthetic blend. There's no good reason to change it more frequently than every 5K miles. Changing it more often is just throwing money (and oil) down the drain (or to a recycle center).

Some people have money (and oil) to burn ;)