My Sync is dead....

51 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had problems with Sync in your 2011 vehicle?

• Yes. If so please post below.
    • No.

I am looking into possibly purchasing a 2011 Edge limited and this has me genuinely scared. Isn't ford worried about potential lemon laws which many states may have? Is this a small % of total Edge cars sold?

Thanks for any feedback.

I wish I had found this forum BEFORE I ordered and took delivery on my 2011 Limited. In my State, the Lemon Law can be used if the defect materially affects the operation of the vehicle. Thankfully, Ford included the climate control system in the Sync Cluster*uck. Not being able to use defrosters, heat, etc, qualifies, in my opinion, as "Materially affecting the operation of the vehicle."

I'm going to give Ford the benefit of the doubt for now, but if there is not an update to remedy these Sync issues within a reasonable amount of time, Ford will be taking the Edge back.

Isn't ford worried about potential lemon laws which many states may have?

Not sure why Ford would be "worried" about lemon laws. They know this is a serious problem. I don't think it's widespread but it's certainly not isolated. I don't think there is any chance that Ford is NOT taking this seriously. This is a big black eye on Ford's recent quality gains and they need to get it fixed asap.

Well, now that ford has had my car since last week Wednesday, they have been trying hunt down a Female to Female USB Cable so they can flash my system. They said that ford told them that this flash will fix the problems with the MyFord Touch System. We will see. They also said that ford had a 3 week back order from dealers trying to get this special cable, so that they had to borrow it from another dealer. I hope that ford can get their act together. I would really like to drive me car. I have had it less time then it's been at the dealer. My fear is that my system is dead (it won't even turn on now) and that flashing it will not revive it. Then they need to order a new system, and with the holiday weekend, I will not have my car until december.... Lemon law is 3 tries at fixing the same problem, or 20 days with out your car. I'm coming up on both much faster then I thought I would have...

Edited by _12121

It sounds to me like there is a hardware issue on some vehicles that the software can't handle. If that's the case then a new software version can fix it.

It's unfortunate that Ford didn't plan ahead with the USB cable unless they notified dealers ahead of time that they needed the cable but the dealers didn't order it. I suspect neither one thought it would be required so soon. Shouldn't be that hard to find a cable though.

Well, now that ford has had my car since last week Wednesday, they have been trying hunt down a Female to Female USB Cable so they can flash my system. They said that ford told them that this flash will fix the problems with the MyFord Touch System. We will see. They also said that ford had a 3 week back order from dealers trying to get this special cable, so that they had to borrow it from another dealer. I hope that ford can get their act together. I would really like to drive me car. I have had it less time then it's been at the dealer. My fear is that my system is dead (it won't even turn on now) and that flashing it will not revive it. Then they need to order a new system, and with the holiday weekend, I will not have my car until december.... Lemon law is 3 tries at fixing the same problem, or 20 days with out your car. I'm coming up on both much faster then I thought I would have...

WTF!

You could go to Amazon & get a female-female adapter for 1 penny!

post-9129-097684100 1290436810_thumb.jpg

Chalk me up to having sync problems too...performing routine maintenance and now the system reboots two or three times and black screen of nothing...

I just wanted to post some goo dnews on this forum. I have got my car back, and all is well. they replaced the APIM, and did a software flash, and it is working perfectly. No Reboots, Bluetooth audio works, it's still a little laggy, but better then it was before, but not bad enough to complain about. Only 1 weird thing. The ambient lighting the colors on the screen do not match the color on the dash.. but that's not a real problem. I just need to scroll through to get the color i want. I can live with that if all else works.

Hope they can fix the problems for every one else.

Chalk me up to having sync problems too...performing routine maintenance and now the system reboots two or three times and black screen of nothing...

I just wanted to post some goo dnews on this forum. I have got my car back, and all is well. they replaced the APIM, and did a software flash, and it is working perfectly. No Reboots, Bluetooth audio works, it's still a little laggy, but better then it was before, but not bad enough to complain about. Only 1 weird thing. The ambient lighting the colors on the screen do not match the color on the dash.. but that's not a real problem. I just need to scroll through to get the color i want. I can live with that if all else works.

That's GREAT news! I am headed to the dealer tomorrow. I pulled the #29 Fuse and same thing...battery disconnect/reconnect...same thing....so drop off and rental until it is fixed. I can say that with the radio not working I have really appreciated just how quiet The Ford Edge is...very nice!

I know it's a hassle, especially when I rides are concerned, but it's disappointing to read that someone is satisfied that their system has been "fixed" when it clearly still has issues, albiet minor ones. If it were my car, I'd be back at the dealer insisting they get it right, or at least pointing out that they need to let Ford know there are more issues.

I guess compared to non-working, constantly crashing, etc, some color controls not being displayed properly really isn't a big deal at all, but it still shows Ford/Microsoft haven't fixed all the bugs yet, or worse, have introduced new bugs as part of the fix.

Edited by DistortedEdge

That's GREAT news! I am headed to the dealer tomorrow. I pulled the #29 Fuse and same thing...battery disconnect/reconnect...same thing....so drop off and rental until it is fixed. I can say that with the radio not working I have really appreciated just how quiet The Ford Edge is...very nice!

Well, the waiting game has begun. I dropped off my 2011 Edge at the dealer for a dead sync system on Monday 11/29. Today I got the dreaded update phone call.

They have determined that the computer that controls the Sync System has experienced a hardware failure and will have to be replaced. The bad news is the part is on back order with a status of NO ETA. The dealer tells me they will update me as soon as the have an ETA on the part or every other day regardless of the ETA.

The dealer has provided me with a demo a 2011 Ford Fusion SEL, for my troubles...I just made the first payment too...kinda stung! Oh well, that's my update...anyone else in the same boat too? Any encouraging words????

I will continue to post updates as I get them.

Brian

Well, the waiting game has begun. I dropped off my 2011 Edge at the dealer for a dead sync system on Monday 11/29. Today I got the dreaded update phone call.

They have determined that the computer that controls the Sync System has experienced a hardware failure and will have to be replaced. The bad news is the part is on back order with a status of NO ETA. The dealer tells me they will update me as soon as the have an ETA on the part or every other day regardless of the ETA.

The dealer has provided me with a demo a 2011 Ford Fusion SEL, for my troubles...I just made the first payment too...kinda stung! Oh well, that's my update...anyone else in the same boat too? Any encouraging words????

I will continue to post updates as I get them.

Brian

This totally sucks. I read somewhere that the service techs were instructed to not try to update the software yet. Updates may "brick" the systems. I wonder if that is what happened to yours.

It all seems like some service techs are not well versed on the new Touch system.

This post may interest you...

Major Defect

Edited by wilsons66604

This totally sucks. I read somewhere that the service techs were instructed to not try to update the software yet. Updates may "brick" the systems. I wonder if that is what happened to yours.

It all seems like some service techs are not well versed on the new Touch system.

Major Defect

Some of the things leading up to this Sync failure were: white screen (the screen stayed on after I exited the vehicle and closed the door) - I think it stayed on all night one night and would only go off if I locked the doors. I normally do not lock my vehicles when they are locked in the garage! The backup cam was very choppy or even a delay of approx. 5 seconds when I put the vehicle in reverse, moving through the screens was slowing down over the course of a month, and I believe that is it.

Although this part is on back order, I can say that Dave Sinclair Ford in St. Louis, MO has been very kind. They have kept me updated, gave me a 2011 Fusion SEL as a loaner and have been very apologetic.

I am very disappointed with the Sync system, but can't say anything is wrong with The Edge itself. It really feels like a well made CUV. Good acceleration, fuel mileage, good looks, great ride, and very comfortable. I would buy another without hesitation, and I am confident that Ford and Microsoft will get this issue resolved.

Brian

• Like 1

Major Defect

I forgot to add that the service department did not look at this issue. In the St. Louis Area they have a technician that specializes in Sync and travels between the dealerships in the area to address Sync only issues...I thought that was interesting. A dedicated Sync tech...would love to talk to this guy.

Purchased a 2011 Edge on Sept 13. The sync screen went dead on Oct 12. So I have no control over all things that are controlled through the touch screen: heat, a/c, audio, bluetooth and sync with other devices, , etc. I was told to disconnect the battery, let it sit for five minutes, hook it up and it will restart. No luck. Tried it again and let the battery unhooked over night, still nothing. I have been to the dealership three times and keep getting the run around. Is this a 2011 Sync issue across the board or did I just get a lemon. Ford doesn't seem to have a fix, or at least that is what I keep getting told. Any of you have opinions on this problem?

Still have a DEAD EDGE going on 3 weeks in Service Dept. at FORD and NO FIX.......Service Advisor called and said Ford is on a Fishing Expedition and does not know how to fix it!!! Pretty Sad for a $43K vehicle!!!

I had to pull fuse 29 again today and of course it dropped into the abyss behind the kick panel / floor. I went after it but couldn't find it.

I decided to look for another fuse that I could rob so i could get touch running again. After studying the manual, I see that there are spares plugged into spaces in the panel. Thanks to Fuse 5 for coming to the rescue!

(damn! Why do I have to resort to this on a brand new car)

Wilson, your post made my day !! :hysterical: Not for taking pleasure in mishaps of others, but the way you told your story! Hahah! Sorry to hear that though ...

Hate to bring this up, but would we be having this conversation if Apple would have developped the MFT system?? I dream of a car where the touch screen is as responsive as the iPhone !! Wow, what a car that would be !!

Doesn't all this remind anyone of GM's CEO's response to Bill Gate's comments a few years back? Ouch !! Feels like the time has come..... Here's a little reminder of the story:

At a computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon." In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release (by Mr. Welch himself) stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason at all, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally, executing a manoeuver such as a left-turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, and you would have to reinstall the engine.

4. When your car died on the freeway for no reason, you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought 'Car95' or 'CarNT', and then added more seats.

6. Apple would make a car powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would run on only five per cent of the roads.

7. Oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single 'general car default' warning light.

8. New seats would force every-one to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag would say 'Are you sure?' before going off.

10. Occasionally, for no reason, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of road maps from Rand-McNally (a subsidiary of GM), even though they neither need them nor want them. Trying to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 per cent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

12. Every time GM introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You would press the 'start' button to shut off the engine.

Here is my update:

Dealer said Ford posted a fix on the site earlier this week so he had me bring my car in on Friday. Dealer had to update their software and then update the software on my sync/touch system. Update took much longer than expected so he kept the car until Saturday. Got a call on Saturday and he let me know that the update did not work. Waiting on word from Ford on Monday to advise next steps......